• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Bioshock’ Film Adaptation Still in the Works With Scaled Down Budget; I

Draugoth

Gold Member
Bioshock.jpg

Netflix’s film adaptation of the seminal video game “Bioshock” with director Francis Lawrence is being “reconfigured” to be a “more personal” film with a reduced budget, producer Roy Lee (“The Lego Movie”) revealed on Thursday during a panel at San Diego Comic-Con.

The adaptation was first announced Feb. 2022 as a partnership between Netflix and the game’s producers 2K and Take-Two Interactive. The first “Bioshock” game, released in 2007, is set in a vast underwater city called Rapture created in the desire to foster a utopia, but instead has fallen into chaos and violence. The game’s twist-filled narrative and vibrant philosophical worldview captured gamers imaginations; sequels followed in 2010 and 2013, and the series has sold more than 39 million copies worldwide.
Source

EruditeHobo

All I know is that original script, done by Verbinski... that would have been a banger of a flick.

Don't know what it means that this is now at Netflix; I can't imagine they have use/ownership of that original script, but I could be wrong.

Doom85

If they’re adapting the first game, “reduced budget” does not sound good. I dunno, maybe they can pull it off, but it feels like this would necessitate a lot of well-detailed sets to truly capture the spirit of Rapture, plus you’ve got the Big Daddys and the elemental powers and such.

And good lord, trying to adapt Infinite on a lower budget would definitely be a fool’s game.

Time and money wasted on a thing that people will watch, and forget about after 1 month max, because Netflix.

If you want to create something with substance that will be remembered for years, and depending on how good it is, even decades, put all that money into a new game.

Top Bottom