• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“No Chance” for Persona 3 Portable Female Protagonist to be Added to Persona 3 Reload, Says Persona Series Producer

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
GIJ59teaoAA1jgO

Following the announcement of the Persona 3 Reload Expansion Pass, with the final wave being the long fan-requested remake of The Answer from Persona 3 FES, producer Kazuhisa Wada was interviewed by the Japanese outlet Famitsu.

Various facets of the upcoming Expansion Pass, most notably Episode Aigis -The Answer—are discussed. However, the interviewer also asks about the numerous fan requests for the female protagonist from Persona 3 Portable to be implemented. Unfortunately, Wada outright denies this possibility, saying that while they initially considered plans to include her, the development costs for such a task would’ve been even greater than Episode Aigis. Consequently, this addition never came to fruition.

You can view a translation of this quoted exchange below via Persona Central:

I would like to take this opportunity to ask a question. I’ve heard a lot of requests from fans that they wish that the female protagonist from Persona 3 Portable would be included in the remake. Is there a possibility that this will be added in the future?

Wada:
I feel bad for the female protagonist, but unfortunately there is no chance of that happening. Of course we also considered plans to include her, but the hurdles were too high. It was expected to take a long development period and would have cost several times more than Episode Aigis. Additionally, we as the Persona Team need to work on completely new titles in addition to remakes. Our staff are working to ensure that there are future developments you can look forward to, so we appreciate your understanding.

You can view the full Famitsu interview for additional comments.

graywolf323

didn’t they also claim they weren’t going to include The Answer in all the lead up to the release as well? eh he says that now but Persona clearly has a reputation now for the series having re-releases with added content and what better way to sell Persona 3 yet again then bring in Kotone?
I swear the only place where I see people clamoring for this is twitter. The producer is right. It's completely unnecessary extra work that would take a lot of time away that is better spent elsewhere, and the majority don't care or even know of Kotone.
Arrested Development Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Wait for the complete edition, which you will have to buy again.

lol I'm saying!

Why even remake it like this only to then provide less content? smh.

The character doesn't say shit, imho.....they might as well make em all have some option for a female character and male character to provide different social links, cause if the fucking character isn't going to speak, I don't see the point in removing an option from the Portable game that released prior.

didn’t they also claim they weren’t going to include The Answer in all the lead up to the release as well? eh he says that now but Persona clearly has a reputation now for the series having re-releases with added content and what better way to sell Persona 3 yet again then bring in Kotone?

Arrested Development Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Truth, for all we know they are saying this to hype up the re-release of the remake lol

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The character doesn't say shit, imho.....they might as well make em all have some option for a female character and male character to provide different social links, cause if the fucking character isn't going to speak, I don't see the point in removing an option from the Portable game that released prior.

Truth, for all we know they are saying this to hype up the re-release of the remake lol

They already removed the options to join the swim team and kendo club from the remake because apprently it was just too much effort to have the players get any choice. Too much dialog for the protagonist perhaps

1. ...
2 .....
3 ..... uhhhhh

It's funny how they have such a reputation that no one will believe them when they tell us they arnt doing it. That's their own fault and they tottaly will.

Last edited:

Doom85

I swear the only place where I see people clamoring for this is twitter. The producer is right. It's completely unnecessary extra work that would take a lot of time away that is better spent elsewhere, and the majority don't care or even know of Kotone.

Ah yes, “better spent elsewhere”, when they just announced they’re doing The Answer, which is well known to be divisive among the Persona community.

I’d rather have Female Protagonist over The Answer because the former is part of the good section of Persona 3, whereas The Answer sucked back then and will likely suck now. Unless I hear they’re significantly rewriting it, I’m not buying that Answer DLC.

Also, of the original 3 versions of Persona 3, Portable sold the most.

And it was the version of 3 that was re-released last year. So no, the vast majority of Persona 3 fans are well aware of the character.

Kurotri

Ah yes, “better spent elsewhere”, when they just announced they’re doing The Answer, which is well known to be divisive among the Persona community.

I’d rather have Female Protagonist over The Answer because the former is part of the good section of Persona 3, whereas The Answer sucked back then and will likely suck now. Unless I hear they’re significantly rewriting it, I’m not buying that Answer DLC.

Also, of the original 3 versions of Persona 3, Portable sold the most.

And it was the version of 3 that was re-released last year. So no, the vast majority of Persona 3 fans are well aware of the character.
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I loved The Answer and think it needs to be included no matter what, while I don't see Kotone's sections to be so necessary for them to shift resources into it prolonging Reload's development and in turn P6 as well.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I loved The Answer and think it needs to be included no matter what, while I don't see Kotone's sections to be so necessary for them to shift resources into it prolonging Reload's development and in turn P6 as well.
Yeah, I will disagree with you there. Personally I think the ending was good as is and the Answer makes the concept for the ending not as good. Not to mention being a crappy expansion itself.

While FeMC route had the best Social Links (we don’t talk about Ken), and was great to play overall.

graywolf323

I wanted The Answer included as well but by and large it seemed like the blowback when they initially announced both it and Kotone wouldn’t be included was people wanted FeMC more than they wanted The Answer

I played and got the plat on Persona 3 Reload. I have no idea who this Kotone character is but the game seemed great to me as is. I'm just more excited for the DLC cause the ending was a bit confusing to me and I heard the DLC wraps up everything nicely.

graywolf323

Still not happening.

why do they refuse to allow Persona 3 to have a complete edition like the other games in the series? 😒

So we went from "no chance" to "likely not happening"? Sounds more and more like a definitive edition a couple of years down the road we're gonna have to rebuy.

I know I’m part of the problem but I’ll likely rebuy it if that happens

Last edited:

Paltheos

So we went from "no chance" to "likely not happening"? Sounds more and more like a definitive edition a couple of years down the road we're gonna have to rebuy.

That there's a progression in his statements is a stretch. The whole snippet is him talking about how they talked about it internally and can't do it. He says outright that if they were to have a big content drop like that, it would have to be now while interest is hot.

Now, "Atlus gonna Atlus", but I don't see anything off in his interview.

Kurotri

I played and got the plat on Persona 3 Reload. I have no idea who this Kotone character is but the game seemed great to me as is. I'm just more excited for the DLC cause the ending was a bit confusing to me and I heard the DLC wraps up everything nicely.
Kotone is basically the female main character that is only present in the PSP version of the game. You play as her instead of our favourite emo boy. You have different Social Links because of that, specifically romance related.

The Answer is, imo, definitely a great addition that deals with the aftermath of what happened. However, if they really are doing a 1:1 remake like with the base game, expect a lot of dungeon crawling.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
GIJ59teaoAA1jgO

Following the announcement of the Persona 3 Reload Expansion Pass, with the final wave being the long fan-requested remake of The Answer from Persona 3 FES, producer Kazuhisa Wada was interviewed by the Japanese outlet Famitsu.

Various facets of the upcoming Expansion Pass, most notably Episode Aigis -The Answer—are discussed. However, the interviewer also asks about the numerous fan requests for the female protagonist from Persona 3 Portable to be implemented. Unfortunately, Wada outright denies this possibility, saying that while they initially considered plans to include her, the development costs for such a task would’ve been even greater than Episode Aigis. Consequently, this addition never came to fruition.

You can view a translation of this quoted exchange below via Persona Central:

I would like to take this opportunity to ask a question. I’ve heard a lot of requests from fans that they wish that the female protagonist from Persona 3 Portable would be included in the remake. Is there a possibility that this will be added in the future?

Wada:
I feel bad for the female protagonist, but unfortunately there is no chance of that happening. Of course we also considered plans to include her, but the hurdles were too high. It was expected to take a long development period and would have cost several times more than Episode Aigis. Additionally, we as the Persona Team need to work on completely new titles in addition to remakes. Our staff are working to ensure that there are future developments you can look forward to, so we appreciate your understanding.

You can view the full Famitsu interview for additional comments.

Ahhh jijo de su maíz...

And I was waiting for the Golden version.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I still believe they are lying.

How they put Rin in Catherine?

I say that in a moment they will release the complete edition.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
"Additionally, we as the Persona Team need to work on completely new titles in addition to remakes"

Good....i'd rather them get Persona 6 out and the rumored Persona 1 and 2 remakes out instead of wasting resources on adding the female protagonist.

Gambit2483

I still believe they are lying.

How they put Rin in Catherine?

I say that in a moment they will release the complete edition.
The "Complete" edition will basically be the Switch 2 edition...but don't get your hopes up on them adding any extra content not already released by then.

Skifi28

He says outright that if they were to have a big content drop like that, it would have to be now while interest is hot.
This is such bullshit (not intended at you). Persona 5 Royal was released 4 years later and Shin Megami vengence 3 years later. It would have to be now if it were a small DLC, but if we're talking about a reworked version one would have to rebuy then we're looking at potentially years down the road. Atlus can't be trusted when it comes to milking their fans.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Kinda crazy to think that this game had 3 re-releases and none of them can be considered the definitve version.
In my opinion out of all the re-release/upgrade they did SMT5 Vengeance is their best one. Its clear upgrade from original release and you access the new story from the very beginning while you still have the choice to play original story.

I like Persona 3 Reload but it did same mistake as Persona 5 Royal, it gives you overpower tool which absolulty destroys the difficulty balance.

In P3 Reload's case Theurgy is too overpowered, some of them I take out 90% main story full moon boss's health without any effort on merciless difficulty.

It destroyed Nyx

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
In my opinion out of all the re-release/upgrade they did SMT5 Vengeance is their best one. Its clear upgrade from original release and you access the new story from the very beginning while you still have the choice to play original story.

I like Persona 3 Reload but it did same mistake as Persona 5 Royal, it gives overpower tool which absolulty destroys the difficulty balance.

In P3 Reload's case Theurgy is too overpowered, some of them I take out 90% main story full boss's health without any effort on merciless difficulty.

It destroyed Nyx
Agree my man. I hope the follow SMT VV's formula for their next re-releases, feels like a new game instead of just the same but with some extra content at the end like P5R.

nial

Atlus have basically guaranteed that I never ever buy a vanilla edition of theirs again.
The worst part is that it didn't even need to be this way. I know for a fact that, in Japan, Persona 3 FES on PS2 also had an append version for people who owned the original P3 (which was, of course, required) and didn't want to buy the entire game again at full price.

Last edited:

graywolf323

The worst part of that it didn't even need to be this way. I know for a fact that, in Japan, Persona 3 FES on PS2 also had an append version for people who owned the original P3 (which was, of course, required) and didn't want to buy the entire game again at full price.
Atlus has gotten far greedier since being acquired by Sega

Top Bottom