• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1989 Super Famicom prototype picture + article + demo pics + white Famicom!

doncale

Banned
sorry if this bends the rules, the magazine is so old, I don't think it matters anymore.

this should be of interest to those who love the Super Famicom gamers :)

27g9u

buttons/switches on top of control deck are:
-POWER
-FAMICOM (for Famicom campatibility)
-RESET

27gaf

27gc3

27gh3

!!!! I don't remember seeing an 8-bit Famicom (left) that looks like this! was this Famicom commen, rare, or not released ??????
27ghk

rest of the Super Famicom article
285te

285na

27h2b

Agent X

Have you ever played a Nintendo game that slowed down or encounter problems in playing music when a lot of characters were on the screen at once? Well, with the Super Famicom, this problem is a thing of the past!

:D

ourumov

If they had just used a M68000 as the main processor (rated at 8Mhz for instance)...Then SFC would have been perfect

doncale

Banned
That's the first I've ever heard about backwards compatibility on the SFC.

the Super Famicom / Super NES was originally going to be back compat with Famicom / NES games. I think Nintendo was planning on matching all the features of the Megadrive / Genesis. the Genesis was compatible with Sega's 8-bit /Master System games via Power Base Converter.

And some people say that spec and capability hype factor is something that Nintendo has never relied on... I love how they put up the resolution spec...putting in the hi-res mode that SNES rarely used. And that starting paragraph...hahahhaa. "Touted by many as the most spectacular game system ever designed...." hahahahaha Ridiculous. Oh well, just goes to show that things really haven't changed all that much.

john tv

That Famicom in those pics was never released. It was probably replaced by the AV Famicom design that was similar to the redesigned NES in America.

I don't believe the SFC was ever meant to be backwards-compatible in Japan. That was a US-only plan for a while that fortunately never came to fruition. It's possible the Famicom button was intended for backwards-compatibility, but I don't think that was ever confirmed. Can anyone dig out some actual facts on this? fenegi maybe?

doncale

Banned
some of the things that were cut out of the final Super Famicom / Super NES

-Famicom/NES compatibility
-a MC68000 CPU at 10 MHz
-more extensive '3D' capabilities: like scaling, rotation and other FX, etc.

the 3D capabilities (beyond the 'Mode 7' that SNES got) had to be 'put back' into the -Super Famicom / Super NES, via DSPs and other accelerator chips/CPUs in the cartridges like Pilotwings, Mario Kart (DSP), F1 ROC 2 (Seta DSP), StarFox, Dirt Trax FX, Vortex, Dirt Racer, Stunt Race FX / Wild Trax (SuperFX), Megaman X2 & X3 (C4), SMW2: Yoshi's Island, Doom (SuperFX2) etc

john tv

BTW, doncale, please edit your post and cut out all the redundant stuff. One pic of each page is more than enough.

MightyHedgehog said:
And some people say that spec and capability hype factor is something that Nintendo has never relied on... I love how they put up the resolution spec...putting in the hi-res mode that SNES rarely used. And that starting paragraph...hahahhaa. "Touted by many as the most spectacular game system ever designed...." hahahahaha Ridiculous. Oh well, just goes to show that things really haven't changed all that much.

What game did actually use the highres mode? I do know that Super NES games were lower res than Genesis or Turbo Grafx.

doncale

Banned

that statement sounds reasonable for summer 1989 when that magazine came out....looking at something that wouldn't be out unti late 1990 in Japan and Aug/Sept 1991 in the U.S. ... perfectly reasonable. then the hype deflated. like it did with Nintendo 64 seven years later.

I remember seeing that old Super Famicom design in the second issue of EGM, but this is the first time I've seen the redesigned Famicom. That looks cool, I like the idea of making old hardware match the new hardware when it comes time for the inevitable redesign.

doncale

Banned
^these pictures and the article are all from the 2nd issue of EGM, the first one I ever got ahold of. essentially it informed me of the beginning of the 16-bit revolution ^__^

^these pictures and the article are all from the 2nd issue of EGM, the first one I ever got ahold of. essentially it informed me of the beginning of the 16-bit revolution ^__^

Are you sure? I actually have the second issue of EGM, and all it had about the Super Famicom was a short quarter page article and a small, blurry picture of the system. I was about to ask you what magazine these came from, since the picture was much larger and clearer than the one EGM ran. Although it obviously is EGM from the article layout design. Perhaps a later issue?

Vormund

john tv said:
I don't believe the SFC was ever meant to be backwards-compatible in Japan. That was a US-only plan for a while that fortunately never came to fruition. It's possible the Famicom button was intended for backwards-compatibility, but I don't think that was ever confirmed. Can anyone dig out some actual facts on this? fenegi maybe?

I remember reading somewhere that backward compatiblilty was droppped due to extra cost and problems getting it working properly.

Interestingly as well, people writing SNES emu's found some traces of BC in some documents apparently.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Kobun Heat said:
Probably a tertiary controller port like the Famicom originally had.

Looks like the standard 'nintendo' video cable slot... you know, that crazy thing on all the consoles save the NES.

Warm Machine said:
What game did actually use the highres mode? I do know that Super NES games were lower res than Genesis or Turbo Grafx.

I don't recall any full-games using the display mode, but IIRC, there were some games (I think European-developed) that utilized it for title screens and other more static bits.

I don't recall any full-games using the display mode, but IIRC, there were some games (I think European-developed) that utilized it for title screens and other more static bits.

I think Killer Instinct used it throughout the game. Probably the only one.

doncale

Banned
Are you sure? I actually have the second issue of EGM, and all it had about the Super Famicom was a short quarter page article and a small, blurry picture of the system. I was about to ask you what magazine these came from, since the picture was much larger and clearer than the one EGM ran. Although it obviously is EGM from the article layout design. Perhaps a later issue?

this Super Famicom article and all these pictures come from EGM Number 2. that's the July 1989 EGM. I bought it sometime in July 1989. here's what it says on the cover

(16-BIT GAMING EXPLODES)

Volume 1, Number 2
Display Until August 31, 1989

http://nestral.topcities.com/gallery/egm/egm02.jpg

edit: just realized that the 2nd issue of EGM is actually EGM Number 1, not EGM Number 2. EGM Number 1 just has May, 1989 on the cover with Mega Man 2. http://nestral.topcities.com/gallery/egm/egm01.jpg
on page 62-63 they have the PC Engine with CD-ROM, Megadrive and Super Famicom. this must be what you were describing.

No, I'm wrong. The EGM I'm thinking of had some movie tie in game on the cover. I'm going to have to dig it out of the pile of old game magazines at my parent's house. I also remember the Super Famicom having orange buttons (or at least buttons that looked orange in the picture) instead of the red ones, and only having 2 switches on the top, instead of 3. The way my memory is working tonight, I'm probably wrong, though.

radcliff

CVXFREAK said:
I really wish the SNES played NES games, because my NES is on its last legs (has been for years).

Try This

Its easy to install and it makes the system work like new! I installed mine over 2 years ago and it still works flawlessly.

madara

Yes i remember this issue, it definitely was EGM. I got so excited seeing those super famicom pics I walked out of store with mag and forgot to pay! Phew I got lucky and came to my senses and walked back in and payed for it!

lordmrw

MightyHedgehog said:

I recall Seiken Densetsu 3 being the only game that used it outside of menus. Seeing it in motion makes me believe it.

Dagon

john tv said:
I don't believe the SFC was ever meant to be backwards-compatible in Japan. That was a US-only plan for a while that fortunately never came to fruition.

Why "fortunately"?

And it's interesting to read the closing paragraphs. They could be copied and pasted into next year's launch issues and not be out of place.

Oh, and John, check your PM...

GIR

Banned
doncale said:
the Super Famicom / Super NES was originally going to be back compat with Famicom / NES games. I think Nintendo was planning on matching all the features of the Megadrive / Genesis. the Genesis was compatible with Sega's 8-bit /Master System games via Power Base Converter.
Apparently the SNES CPU is 100% backwards compatible with the NES CPU, I remember reading various mags that stated this. (of course that doesn’t actually mean you can plug a NES game into your SNES)

doncale said:
OMG, the original Super Famicom had USB!
I'm guessing that "USB" port was later located on the bottom of the SNES, it was meant to connect to the CD drive that never came and later was used for the Satellaview system.

MightyHedgehog said:
A few games used the Hi Res mode (Mode 5), I remember one racing game used it, I think it was called "Rock n Roll Racing".

doncale said:
The second pic looks very much like what is the Euro & Australian model, a lot more sexier than the boxy US one.

doncale said:
that statement sounds reasonable for summer 1989 when that magazine came out....looking at something that wouldn't be out unti late 1990 in Japan and Aug/Sept 1991 in the U.S. ... perfectly reasonable. then the hype deflated. like it did with Nintendo 64 seven years later.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but even though history repeats itself, I really didn't start reading game mags till the summer of 92 (my first ever issue was of EGM with Sonic 2 on the cover). So therefore I missed out on the entire Genesis vs. Super NES hype war, at least up until they were both available (I recall the war for ground when they were both out quite clearly) hence why the above statement got me so curious. Can anyone shed some light on how that went donw? Any notable stories?

GIR said:
A few games used the Hi Res mode (Mode 5), I remember one racing game used it, I think it was called "Rock n Roll Racing".

What exactly were the other "Modes" anyhow? This is the first time I've ever heard of Mode 5.

GIR

Banned
FortNinety said:
What exactly were the other "Modes" anyhow? This is the first time I've ever heard of Mode 5.
Modes 0 to 7 :D
Seriously though I cant remember the exact details of all the individual modes, each mode had a limted amount of bitplanes/colors/spites etc although Mario Kart is an exception it used a DSP to overcome these limits. I did however find this table in some old SNES documentation:
|MODE...#.of.BGs...MaxColour/Tile....Palettes......Colours........................|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|0..........4..............4........................8...............32................................|
|1..........3..............16/16/4..............8................128..............................|
|2..........?..............???.....................?................???...............................|
|3..........2..............256.&.16.............1.&.8..........256.&.32......................|
|4..........2..............256.&.4...............1.&.8..........256.&.32......................|
|5..........?..............???.....................?................???...............................|
|6..........?..............16......................8................128.(Interlaced.mode)...|
|7..........?..............256.....................1...............256..............................|

john tv

GIR said:
Apparently the SNES CPU is 100% backwards compatible with the NES CPU, I remember reading various mags that stated this. (of course that doesn’t actually mean you can plug a NES game into your SNES)
I highly doubt this. Some kind of convertor would've been released. Even the third party ones that were available had NES hardware built in, which would've been unnecessary if this were true.

groovy, im glad japan and europe went with the multicoloured buttons though and the round shape. Better than the square grey and purple thing USA got :p

Sho Nuff

Banned
Hold on... the SNES used the WDC 65C816, the same as in the Apple IIGS. The "816" indicated that the system could knock itself down to 6502 mode (the same processor as in the Apple II) while other legacy Apple II functions were handled by the IWM (Integrated Woz Machine) or "Mega II" chip.

While the SNES technically had the 6502 covered, I don't think that the SNES has any of the graphics chips for true native legacy NES support.

I wonder if they would have opted for a 68000 had reverse compatibility never been a concern.

edit: Fun fact: the first batch of SNES games were developed on Apple IIGS's! The original compiler and tools were all GS-specific. Unfortunately Nintendo didn't realize that the GS supported large SCSI hard disk drives so stuff like Super Mario World was developed using only 800k floppy disks and it was total hell.

jarrod

Banned
What were the four announced games back then? I'm guessing...

-Super Mario Bros 4 (World)
-Dragonfly (PilotWings)
-F-Zero
-Legend of Zelda 3 (A Link to the Past)

Top Bottom