• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 convicted killers successfully escaped from NY max security prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
escape7n-2-web.jpg

Two convicted murderers made a daring escape from a maximum-security prison by drilling through cell walls,stealing through plumbing tunnels and then climbing out a manhole, authorities said Saturday. A massive search is underway.

Richard Matt, 48, and David Sweat, 34, are dangerous and should not be approached, New York state police warned. Officials at the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora called state authorities after both men were missing from a 5:30 a.m. bed check.

Pretty wild that they pulled this off. Doubt they get far though.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/convicted-killers-escape-n-y-prison-article-1.2248902

Seesaw15

I mean the kid in me applauds them for escaping but they're murdering scumbags so I hope they get caught soon.

They also left dummies with sweatshirt hoodies in their beds so it would appear they were sleeping during walk-throughs conducted every two hours.

Crafty bastards.

HeySeuss

One of them is serving his sentence for killing a sheriff's deputy. I would guess they won't be arrested peacefully.

Hopefully no innocent bystanders get hurt.

Arkeband

Banned
Hey, this happened in my hometown.

Everyone there that I'm friends with on FB is acting like they're hiding in their backyard - the town's on high alert, but it's like a 20 minute drive from Canada so they're either long gone or they're bunkered down in someone's house until everyone gives up.

There's a large elderly population in Dannemora so there are unfortunately a lot of houses they could have just walked into and taken for themselves.

I know a handful of the prison guards there since that's basically what you become from the neighboring schools if you don't go to college, and they have crazy stories of guys trying to escape with grappling hooks and all kinds of shit.

Edit: There was a report that they were seen in the neighboring (larger) town of Plattsburgh near a hotdog restaurant called Gus's this morning, which is right next to a Greyhound station pick-up location.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
They had access to drills n stuff in 2015

Does no one ever learn

1. How the hell did they get access to drills in Maximum security?

2. How the hell did no one hear them drilling?

3. Prisons actually have tunnels leading out to manholes? Thought that was only Shawshank and OITNB.

They are exactly the same height.

My first thought as well.

kewlmyc

I'm not going to lie, I'm really impressed they managed to escape. Hopefully no one gets hurt in their capture.

3. Prisons actually have tunnels leading out to manholes? Thought that was only Shawshank and OITNB.

My first thought as well.

1.> Do you think they had power drills? Probably used some hand made utenssil.

2.> What would you expect to hear in a loud prison, they weren't using Milwaukee power tools.

3.> Water, electricity and air come from somewhere, they made it back to a power station and then out of a manhole.

Skeyser

1.> Do you think they had power drills? Probably used some hand made utenssil.

2.> What would you expect to hear in a loud prison, they weren't using Milwaukee power tools.

3.> Water, electricity and air come from somewhere, they made it back to a power station and then out of a manhole.

C'mon, look at the steel pipe they cut, they did that with power tools, not a kitchen knife.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If they were really smart they would have arranged to be smuggled out the country on a boat or something. But they're probably going to be caught in a stolen car somewhere in the states. I think the long termers want to get caught, in some weird way. They don't know how to function in society any more.

Arkeband

Banned
CNN's writeup specifies they had power tools, probably stolen or left by contractors who work on the prison.

Gotta love that lowest bidder. Capitalism and the free market, ladies and gentlemen!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Don't they need a new pair of clothes before going anywhere? There's no real place to go unless they go to some remote location out in no man's land.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Yeah that's weird. Must have been able to exploit some loophole somehow.

Still, apparently it's the first successful escape since the prison's opening in 1865, so that's pretty damn impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom