• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 million Nintendo DS units in 2004

old?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/27/news_6111584.html

Nintendo will have an ample supply of its new portable system in 2004: one million units for Japan, one million units in the US.

Nintendo Co., Ltd today announced that it will ship a total of one million units of the Nintendo DS in Japan before the end of the year, 300,000 of which will be available on the day of the system's launch, December 2. Additional shipments will be made on a weekly basis, says Nintendo.

Nintendo of America confirmed to GameSpot this morning that two million units of the DS will be available worldwide by the end of the year, which means that the USA will also receive one million Nintendo DS systems within 2004. As of press time, NOA has not made any announcements as to how many units will be available on November 21 when the system launches.

In a conference call last month, NOA's George Harrison told the media that Nintendo plans to ship a total of 4 million DS systems across three territories (Japan, USA, and Europe/Australia) by the end of the fiscal year, which ends in March 2005. Harrison did not comment on how those allocations would be split up.

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
old?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/27/news_6111584.html

In a conference call last month, NOA's George Harrison told the media that Nintendo plans to ship a total of 4 million DS systems across three territories (Japan, USA, and Europe/Australia) by the end of the fiscal year, which ends in March 2005. Harrison did not comment on how those allocations would be split up.

Let's see here:

NA- 2.3 million
Japan - 1.6 million
Europe - 100,000

Oh and they didn't mention that those of you in Euroland will have to pay over $500 US dollars for each DS unit. :p

ManaByte

Gold Member
palpy2.jpg

"Oh, I'm afraid the PSP will be quite operational when your friends arrive. "

This handheld war will be bloodier than any console war.

btrboyev

it shouldn't have any problem selling those 2 million out of the gate. Especially in the US in time for the holiday season.

king zell

Mrbob said:
Oh and they didn't mention that those of you in Euroland will have to pay over $500 US dollars for each DS unit. :p

oh yeah.. and $800 for a PSP not to mention $100 more for extra batterys :p

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ManaByte said:
palpy2.jpg

"Oh, I'm afraid the PSP will be quite operational when your friends arrive. "

ROTFLMAO! Purple grape drink all over my monitor... thanks... thanks alot.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
It'd be awesome if you put a PSP and a DS in the same room if they just killed the whole fucking internet.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I honestly think Nintendo's biggest mistake will benot having more units available before the PSP launches. What if they would have TWO million sold in America through 2004? You can bet your ass they'd sell them all, and when the PSP sells it's 500K initial shipment, the DS would just keep widening that lead.

As it is now, because Nintendo won't be meeting demand, they're taking a lot of the wind out of their own sails and the systems will be close to even when the dust settles in march, regardless of how many more people wanted DSs.

GDJustin said:
I honestly think Nintendo's biggest mistake will benot having more units available before the PSP launches. What if they would have TWO million sold in America through 2004? You can bet your ass they'd sell them all, and when the PSP sells it's 500K initial shipment, the DS would just keep widening that lead.

As it is now, because Nintendo won't be meeting demand, they're taking a lot of the wind out of their own sails and the systems will be close to even when the dust settles in march, regardless of how many more people wanted DSs.

Yeah. It's extremely tough to pull off a worldwide launch and have enough shipments for all the regions (and yes, I know Europe's getting screwed).

Top Bottom