• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 ps5 1 psn account

reezoo

Hi,

I have 1 psn account and 1 ps5 as of now, created child accounts for my kids and everything works as it should be, kids can play games I download from my psn. I am planning to buy 1 more ps5 so I can play some of the games with my son (eldring ring co op etc.). Question is with my 1 psn, will it be possible to download a game say elden ring on two ps5 and play at the same time?

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
If you buy it under his account yes, but no you can’t download it under master account and both play.

Also when you get your second ps5 make sure your son has the master account ps5 add his profile to it and the secondary ps5 becomes yours to play and buy games on under your account so he can play them.

NickFire

You can both play each other's games. Set his PS5 as your primary PS5. Set your PS5 as his primary PS5. That let's you both play each other's games at the same time (with just one digital copy).

I've been doing this for over 10 years starting with PS4. You can also both play online with just one PS+ subscription.

TmQPNjr.jpeg

You can both play each other's games. Set his PS5 as your primary PS5. Set your PS5 as his primary PS5. That let's you both play each other's games at the same time (with just one digital copy).

I've been doing this for over 10 years starting with PS4. You can also both play online with just one PS+ subscription.
Yeah, this is how to do it. Only downside is that you have to be connected to the Internet in order to play the games on your own consoles - so for example if there is no Internet you have to play your game on the kids console.

Not sure if there are any functionality differences for using a non-primary PS5. I want to say there were for the PS4 but I can't remember what they were (so either there were none or they were minor I guess).

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Yeah, this is how to do it. Only downside is that you have to be connected to the Internet in order to play the games on your own consoles - so for example if there is no Internet you have to play your game on the kids console.

Not sure if there are any functionality differences for using a non-primary PS5. I want to say there were for the PS4 but I can't remember what they were (so either there were none or they were minor I guess).

How does it know which one is the primary that can play without internet if both are the primary?

Three

Hi,

I have 1 psn account and 1 ps5 as of now, created child accounts for my kids and everything works as it should be, kids can play games I download from my psn. I am planning to buy 1 more ps5 so I can play some of the games with my son (eldring ring co op etc.). Question is with my 1 psn, will it be possible to download a game say elden ring on to ps5 and play at the same time?
You can both play if you make the kids PS5 your primary console and you log in on the other with the main account that has the games.

XXL

How many primary consoles can you have registered at one time?
One primary.

I have multiple PS5s in my house.

I can access my profile and software on every Playstation with my account.

But on my PS5 I've designated primary everyone in my house can access all software (from my account) from their accounts.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member

Don’t think is correct as I have been doing for years or maybe it’s game by game but we have never been able to get the same game to play with one copy by two users at the same time. Maybe it’s certain games only?

DarkK86

Gold Member
Don’t think is correct as I have been doing for years or maybe it’s game by game but we have never been able to get the same game to play with one copy by two users at the same time. Maybe it’s certain games only?
It absolutely is correct. Me and my brother have been doing this for years without any sort of problem. As NickFire said , you both need to have each others' profiles on your PS5's (let's call them PS5-1 and PS5 -2). If PS5-1 bought the game , the person with PS5-2 needs to log into the user of PS5-1 on his PS5-2, Select the "Settings" icon > "Users and Accounts" > "Other" > "Console Sharing and Offline Play > "Enable".

That's pretty much it. Now both have access to that game and can even play it at the same , each person has to be logged in with his own account, because a single account can't be playing the same game at the same time on two PS5s.

Also if PS5-1 has an active PS+ ,PS5-2 gets to enjoy it as well, as long as PS5-1's profile is enabled on his console.

How does it know which one is the primary that can play without internet if both are the primary?
I think others have pretty much covered it, but thinking about it conceptually

Your primary console can play any game you own inherently, because it is your primary console and the primary console unlocks the games

You can play any game you own when logged in to PSN inherently on any console you log in on, because you being logged in to PSN unlocks the games

So you give the kids your primary console so they get your games, and you log in to PSN on their console so that you get your games.

Killjoy-NL

I've been doing this for years.

But I have a question as well though:
Me and my son both own a PS5.

I've pre-ordered a PS5 Pro and my PS5 will now go to my stepson.
So, my question is, can we use my PS+ on all 3 systems?

XXL

I think others have pretty much covered it, but thinking about it conceptually

Your primary console can play any game you own inherently, because it is your primary console and the primary console unlocks the games

You can play any game you own when logged in to PSN inherently on any console you log in on, because you being logged in to PSN unlocks the games

So you give the kids your primary console so they get your games, and you log in to PSN on their console so that you get your games.
Exactly. My main console is not my primary....even though in reality it is.

Yes, but to play offline, the PS5 which was set to primary will only be able to so. The secondary PS5 needs to login to the a/c which bought the game and stay online to access all it's purchases on that a/c.

XXL

No. PS+ only applies to the primary console and your account (with Plus) on another console.

XXL

So if the intention is to give you games and online to his console, make his console your primary.

Your console (the Pro) will not be your primary, you'll just have your account on it. PS+ and your games on it will be accessible to your profile only.

NickFire

No. But if you had a PS4 still you could bring that into the fold. After the gen started we had 2 PS5 and 1 PS4 at one point. During that time I could buy a single license for a cross gen game (sports games with dual entitlement specifically) and all three could play as one account can have a primary ps4 and primary ps5. Pro versions are treated the same as base for these purposes though. At least they were last gen.

Killjoy-NL

No. PS+ only applies to the primary console and your account (with Plus) on another console.
So if the intention is to give you games and online to his console, make his console your primary.

Your console (the Pro) will not be your primary, you'll just have your account on it. PS+ and your games on it will be accessible to your profile only.

No. But if you had a PS4 still you could bring that into the fold. After the gen started we had 2 PS5 and 1 PS4 at one point. During that time I could buy a single license for a cross gen game (sports games with dual entitlement specifically) and all three could play as one account can have a primary ps4 and primary ps5. Pro versions are treated the same as base for these purposes though. At least they were last gen.
Yeah, was afraid it would only be limited to 2 consoles, using the known 'trick'.

We're already using 2 PS5s and 1 PS4 currently on my PS+, so I guess we need to leave 1 PS5 out once my Pro arrives.

Last edited:

Dr.brain64

PlayStation activation limits​

You can activate the following consoles on your account:​

Type of ConsoleActivation Limits
PS5 console1*
PS4 console1
PS3 console2
PlayStation® Vita3
*Console Sharing and Offline Play
  • You can have a PS5® console and a PS4 console both activated without deactivating one of them.
  • If you use your account on multiple PS5 consoles or PS4 consoles, you can only activate one each.

SleepMachine

Neo Member
I have a PS4 and a PS5. I've been trying to play some PS4 games with my buddy at my place, him being on the PS4.
We thought this couldn't be done because we would need to pay for PS+ on both accounts? This is actually not necessary?

So i managed to install a game on both consoles (Bought on my PSN account) and run it on both consoles using the "primary" setting. But then he couldn't play online, because of his PSN account not having PS+.
This is actually fixable then?
I'm not sure i follow exactly what i need to do that will enable him to play online using my PS+?

The PS4 i believe is set as my primary PS4, and the PS5 as my primary PS5.
What am i missing?

SleepMachine

Neo Member
"When the account with PS+ sets a console as primary, all other users can play online on that primary console" - Ah, this is what i'm missing. Must not have the PS4 set as primary then. I will check later.
(Can't find an edit button on my post above, so making another post)

Top Bottom