• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if I love or hate this new "And is another 10% less if you own game X" thing.

Yeah . . . lower prices! Damn . . . suckered into buying more! :lol

dream

speculawyer said:
I'm not sure if I love or hate this new "And is another 10% less if you own game X" thing.

Clearly the solution is to buy everything just to be sure.

IrishNinja

fuck. want to get ME2, but my playthroughs have been on 360, so id have to wait to get 1 again later when its $5 or something before i could play 2...$20's not bad for both though, i guess, just debating holding out for next big sale (july 4th? do they do easter?), its not like my backlog's not crazy enough right now anyway.

Darksiders is really enjoyable, if i hadn't rented & beaten it earlier this year id jump all over it at that price.

kai3345

Banned
IrishNinja said:
fuck. want to get ME2, but my playthroughs have been on 360, so id have to wait to get 1 again later when its $5 or something before i could play 2...$20's not bad for both though, i guess, just debating holding out for next big sale (july 4th? do they do easter?), its not like my backlog's not crazy enough right now anyway.

Darksiders is really enjoyable, if i hadn't rented & beaten it earlier this year id jump all over it at that price.
can't you just download an ME1 save with all of the decisions you want from the internet?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
speculawyer said:

I got Tomb Raider Anniversary and GOL for 8.60. I'm a fan. :lol

Honeslty, I think it could turn out to be awesome with advertising sequels. Like get an extra 4$ off on Dues Ex HR if you already own Dues Ex+Invisible War. And throw them up for sale for like 5$.

IrishNinja

kai3345 said:
can't you just download an ME1 save with all of the decisions you want from the internet?

....hadn't even thought of this :lol was debating another play of it with the DLC, but no time soon, so this might be the way to go! thanks man.
looking at ME2, possibly indigo prophecy for $5. my wishlist says ghostbusters is $10, anyone remember what it went for on the halloween sale?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nabs said:
Got Darksiders (7.50), Mafia II (12.50), and Dead Rising 2 (15.99). Pretty happy with my buys. These games are all fairly new, and look incredible on my computer.
This is the downside of seeing awesome sales like this with all these recently released and beastly games: If you have a shit graphics card like mine, many of the games will just barely run, and aren't really worth buying.

At least it's good way to restrain myself from going on a purchasing spree.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hmm....ME2 is tempting, if only to experience what it is. Based on impressions I've read, I don't think I'd like it though. I actually don't really mind the shift to more action-oriented combat (hell, one of my favorite RPGs this gen is The World Ends With You) but a.)Cover based shooting being the medium of choice and b.)a weaker overarching narrative (when I found the plot of ME1 mediocre to begin with)
...I dunno, doesn't seem like it would appeal to me.

...ten dollars though....

IrishNinja

also: between sales postings, there were some great pages there about vampire: bloodlines (still reading the RPS piece on "forever young", thanks for the link), but have Dreamfall/Longest Journey ever gone up on sale? ive heard good things but they look just as prepped to sit on my wishlist and never drop in price.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
The_Technomancer said:
Hmm....ME2 is tempting, if only to experience what it is. Based on impressions I've read, I don't think I'd like it though. I actually don't really mind the shift to more action-oriented combat (hell, one of my favorite RPGs this gen is The World Ends With You) but a.)Cover based shooting being the medium of choice and b.)a weaker overarching narrative (when I found the plot of ME1 mediocre to begin with)
...I dunno, doesn't seem like it would appeal to me.

...ten dollars though....
So... are you expecting one of us to convince you otherwise?

Volcynika

IrishNinja said:
also: between sales postings, there were some great pages there about vampire: bloodlines (still reading the RPS piece on "forever young", thanks for the link), but have Dreamfall/Longest Journey ever gone up on sale? ive heard good things but they look just as prepped to sit on my wishlist and never drop in price.

I don't think they've been on sale at all before, at least on Steam.

Pink Gorilla

Neo Member
IrishNinja said:
Longest Journey is on sale right now at gog.com.

Carlisle

Still thinking about Alpha Protocol, but I'm getting a pretty strong Win Back vibe about it. Over the top action espionage story, problematic gameplay glitches, bland characters, praised to high-heaven by many who played it.

I never played Win Back cause it felt like a generic MGS knock off and I couldn't get into it. But my best friend played and loved the shit out of it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The_Technomancer said:
Thats a good question...that was kind of a stream-of-consciousness post as I looked over today's deals.

As much as I love the series, if ME1 didn't do much for you, neither will ME2. The gameplay is significantly improved, but it's still not worth playing just for the gameplay if that makes any sense. The combat is acceptable, but in no way exceptional. It's all about the Mass Effect universe and playing as Shepard, and if neither of those things interest you then you might as well spend that money on something more up your alley.

Safe Bet

Banned
enzo_gt said:
If you have a shit graphics card like mine, many of the games will just barely run, and aren't really worth buying.
If the price is low enough, as in the game is not likely to sell significantly cheaper within the next few years, it's justifiable to buy even if you cannot play the game on your current hardware.

Your library will patiently wait for you to upgrade.

-Rogue5-

On a lighter note, I'm really not digging Witcher... walking around so much blows, especially when the task is essentially being a messenger (go to A then to B, then back to A...stupid). The game is a grind as-is, and now that I'm getting dominated by Ramsmeat's henchmen in Chapter 2 I'm gonna have to grind to get better equipment and level up, which is gonna suck.

Someone tell me Dragon Age is more like Mass Effect...

Ohh, Darksiders!! i always wanted this one, but the price... if it was a little bit lower...like 7 or 6 .... added to cart, but not buying until the last minute...maybe it will get the Monkey island treatment...

Ceebs

-Rogue5- said:
On a lighter note, I'm really not digging Witcher... walking around so much blows, especially when the task is essentially being a messenger (go to A then to B, then back to A...stupid). The game is a grind as-is, and now that I'm getting dominated by Ramsmeat's henchmen in Chapter 2 I'm gonna have to grind to get better equipment and level up, which is gonna suck.

The game really picks up after that 2nd chapter. Gear is not really a factor in the game though. If you are struggling with the combat make some potions. Proper potion use can trivialize most of the combat on normal or easy.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wanted to play Mass Effect - Download Not Finished Yet
Played indie game to pass time - Download Paused

YXfzc.png

Volcynika

Dacvak said:

http://imgur.com/YXfzc.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Alt+Tab or whatever out, resume download, back to game!

Vaporak

-Rogue5- said:

Grinding in The Witcher? I can't help but feel you're doing something very wrong.

Tesseract

Banned
bought super meat boy and penumbra black plague gold edition (got overture from the humble indie bundle). i'll probably get amnesia next year.

really do love steam. gonna enjoy these games now, later dudes.

kagete

Wow Defense Grid is pretty awesome! Thanks for the recommendation GAF!

One question though, where is the game folder located? I want to find the executable so that I can do the usual profile fiddling with AA and stuff

EWIT: OOPS found it!

Blizzard

Banned
I guess I should go ahead and put like $50 on my Steam wallet for the next several days so my card doesn't go nuts from little purchases each day. :p

It looks like people are already talking about it, but I like how today has one game with the Ubi always-online DRM (my cable connection was down for a bit today, or at least there was some DNS issue), one game with the Starforce successor if I recall correctly, and one game (Patrician IV) that apparently has some Kalypso thing you sign in with? According to what I read that's optional, and the game just complains about it unless you firewall it, though.

Mass Effect 2 is all for me today. If anyone gets Dragon Rising, drop me or Java a line. We need more people in case we ever try playing more multiplayer co-op. :p

vocab

Metalmurphy said:
Did anyone get Mass Effect 2? Any idea why it gives you 3 cdkeys?

Got no idea what to do with one of them.

Ones the Cerberus network key, and the other one is something else. Just register them at bioware social and get your free dlc.

Weenerz said:
I wish Steam would pull an Amazon and price match Amazon for their DD games. I want Nail'd for $10.

Why don't you just buy it on Amazon? I seriously doubt it will be cheaper than $10 on Steam.

Javaman

Trent Strong said:
By the way, fuck Risen. Every time I try to open it, there's a fatal error and it will not run. F you Risen.

Try verifying the files (right click the game/properties/local files/verify integrity of game cache.) It may have only partially downloaded or something.

Trent Strong said:
By the way, fuck Risen. Every time I try to open it, there's a fatal error and it will not run. F you Risen.

I believe I had the same problem. I restarted my system and it never happened again. YMMV, but it worked for me and Google tells me it worked for others.

coopolon

Just Darksiders for me. Seriously thinking about Dead Rising 2, but I don't want to play it badly enough to pay more than $10 for it. Maybe next Christmas.

Javaman

Dacvak said:

YXfzc.png

Yeah, that's annoying. In the future, you can unpause the game after starting another game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Checked my wishlist, 59 / 77 games on sale. Which games were not on sale?

- Drakensang
- The Longest Journey (never been on sale)
- VTM: Bloodlines (never been on sale)
- Fallout 2 (has been on sale on GOG I think, cheaper on GOG anyway)
- Fallout (")
- Psychonauts
- Dreamfall: TLJ (never been on sale)
- SiN (company bankrupt?)
- Professor FizzWizzle
- Stalker CS (has been on sale before)
- Stubbs the Zombie
- Advent Rising
- Civ V (was on sale earlier in sale)
- SiN Episodes 1 (company bankrupt?)
- Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader

So as best as I can tell, pretty much anything by a solvent, involved company who isn't 100% against sales in any forms is on sale right now.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
So, basically my choices are to get the ME2 DLC (the 3(?) good quest packs), or wait and see if anything else I want goes on sale. I'm really only holding out for Singularity, not much else I can think of that I want badly. How is the ME2 DLC, GAF?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stumpokapow said:
Checked my wishlist, 59 / 77 games on sale. Which games were not on sale?

- Drakensang
- The Longest Journey (never been on sale)
- VTM: Bloodlines (never been on sale)
- Fallout 2 (has been on sale on GOG I think, cheaper on GOG anyway)
- Fallout (")
- Psychonauts
- Dreamfall: TLJ (never been on sale)
- SiN (company bankrupt?)
- Professor FizzWizzle
- Stalker CS (has been on sale before)
- Stubbs the Zombie
- Advent Rising
- Civ V (was on sale earlier in sale)
- SiN Episodes 1 (company bankrupt?)
- Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader

So as best as I can tell, pretty much anything by a solvent, involved company who isn't 100% against sales in any forms is on sale right now.
You're in Canada right? Could've swore Civ 5 was on sale at retail for $30 or something, and you'd have to activate it on Steam anyways. You should check out the gaming deals thread and see if the sale's still going, if you want Civ 5 still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom