• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

Monroeski said:
To be clear, I'm going to be buying at a minimum the standard ME2. I'm trying to talk myself out of the deluxe edition for twice the cost.
Unless you want the digital art book and soundtrack skip it. Some extra weapons you will probably not use or break the early are not worth the extra money.

dream said:
Deus Ex stealthy? Lurking in shadows, tranqing people and hacking computers?
Well you can do all of that or you can pretend you are the invisible man and just walk up to everyone and punch them in the face without anyone seeing anything.

Vaporak

dream said:

It's pretty similar gameplay wise to Deus Ex, lurking in shadows, tranquilizer rounds, and computer hacking included.

edit:
Lostconfused said:
Well you can do all of that or you can pretend you are the invisible man and just walk up to everyone and punch them in the face without anyone seeing anything.

that to, there's an invisibility skill that's kinda broke good. :/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
dream said:

Yes to all that. You can also (if you specialize in stealth) temporarily make yourself invisible and literally jog around the room stealth killing folks like a maniac, it's fun as hell if not crazy ridiculous. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Trent Strong said:
Oh God no, you guys can't be serious! Welp, 10 bucks down the drain.
You might be able to use something like joy2key (I haven't used it but have heard of it), or maybe XPadder (not sure if that translates to keyboard events) to work around it, if there's no 360 controller/gamepad support.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Ceebs said:
I believe it has no native gamepad support if I recall correctly.
Yeah, I'm playing through Mass Effect 1 on my laptop right now, and I REALLY want a controller. I'm a big fan of playing games in bed, and for PC games, that means the laptop right on my bed sheets, which leads to this:
XTAOc.png

It'd be nice to use a controller so I could keep my laptop off to the side.

On an unrelated note...
Does anyone have an extra copy of Burnout Paradise they bought on sale? I'd love to buy it off of you.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
rbenchley said:
No native support, but you can use Xpadder to map the keys to your 360 controller.
How does Xpadder handle the mouse-to-stick conversion?

rbenchley said:
No native support, but you can use Xpadder to map the keys to your 360 controller.

Blizzard said:
You might be able to use something like joy2key (I haven't used it but have heard of it), or maybe XPadder (not sure if that translates to keyboard events) to work around it, if there's no 360 controller/gamepad support.

I'll have to try this "XPadder", but I probably won't be able to figure it out. Oh well.

Blizzard

Banned
Trent Strong said:
I'll have to try this "XPadder", but I probably won't be able to figure it out. Oh well.
Side note, I have no idea if it'll be playable, but I'm about to release an alpha version of my chatpad drivers for the wired 360 controller. One of the things it'd let you do is use the thumbsticks as a mouse and controller keys to trigger keyboard events. Currently it only works if the controller has a chatpad attached, and it's not anywhere near as nice as XPadder (which is a for-pay product), but it might eventually become useful for things like this.

Dacvak

Blizzard said:
Side note, I have no idea if it'll be playable, but I'm about to release an alpha version of my chatpad drivers for the wired 360 controller. One of the things it'd let you do is use the thumbsticks as a mouse and controller keys to trigger keyboard events. Currently it only works if the controller has a chatpad attached, and it's not anywhere near as nice as XPadder (which is a for-pay product), but it might eventually become useful for things like this.
Can you typically use a chat pad on the 360 controller (PC) anyway? Because this sounds like an AWESOME idea.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
So, about the ME2 DLC...can I get the DLC through EA's store, even though I just bought the steam version? It sounds like a silly question, but I just want to make sure.

rbenchley

Here's a sample layout for Mass Effect 2 in Xpadder:

Controls are:
Left stick - movement
Right stick - camera

Right trigger - Fire
Left trigger - Zoom
Left trigger hold + right stick - camera in pause in combat mode

Right bumper - toggle pause in combat mode (like holding Space but You don't need to hold it, just press)
Left bumper - run

A - action
B - draw weapon, cancel
X - first aid
Y - grenade

(similar to menu design:)
D-Pad right - inventory
D-Pad up - Squad
D-Pad left - Map
D-Pad down - Journal

Back - Menu (Esc)
Start - Toggle between Mako steering and normal steering
Mako steering is like in racing games + bumpers - weapons, A - jump

dream

cornontheCoD said:
So, about the ME2 DLC...can I get the DLC through EA's store, even though I just bought the steam version? It sounds like a silly question, but I just want to make sure.

Yeah, all DLC goes through EA's "Cerberus Network."

rbenchley said:
Here's a sample layout for Mass Effect 2 in Xpadder:

Controls are:
Left stick - movement
Right stick - camera

Right trigger - Fire
Left trigger - Zoom
Left trigger hold + right stick - camera in pause in combat mode

Right bumper - toggle pause in combat mode (like holding Space but You don't need to hold it, just press)
Left bumper - run

A - action
B - draw weapon, cancel
X - first aid
Y - grenade

(similar to menu design:)
D-Pad right - inventory
D-Pad up - Squad
D-Pad left - Map
D-Pad down - Journal

Back - Menu (Esc)
Start - Toggle between Mako steering and normal steering
Mako steering is like in racing games + bumpers - weapons, A - jump

Nice. I'll have to try this out.

Blizzard

Banned
Dacvak said:
Can you typically use a chat pad on the 360 controller (PC) anyway? Because this sounds like an AWESOME idea.
No, and people have been complaining about Microsoft having the logo on the box and not making drivers for like two years. There's a contest with donations up to like $800+ that's been ongoing, and that's what the driver is for, chatpad PC support. It's wired controller ONLY though, for now. I'm looking into the wireless support early next year if someone else doesn't get it first.

See http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25004448#post25004448 or http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/har...contest-xbox-chatpad-driver-challenge-19.html for more information in the near future, if using the chatpad in a game is something that you're interested in. :)

LCfiner

Mutagenic said:
I already own ME1 on XB360, but is the PC port worth double-dipping? Is it a quality port?

it’s quality. looks great at high res. doesn’t need insane hardware and the UI is customized for the mouse and keyboard.

in the PC version, you can direct squadmates to move to locations on the field and it’s easier to give them orders than it was on the 360.

the only thing that may stop you is that steam had ME1 n sale for 5 bucks before. so you may want to wait since you already own a copy.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lostconfused said:
It always looked like a punch in the neck to me. Which is more awesome.

Mutagenic said:
I already own ME1 on XB360, but is the PC port worth double-dipping? Is it a quality port?

It is by far, the superior version. It isn't even close. The Xbox 360 version had tons of technical issues and performance problems that are non existent on the PC. The combat is still a little clumsy and the UI is awkward but it is better than the console version in just about every conceivable way.

Stallion Free said:
It always looked like a punch in the neck to me. Which is more awesome.
I am pretty sure it is. I was just trying to paint a general picture rather than be specific like where he magically pulls out a curved knife and shoves into some dudes throat.

Joe Molotov

http://www.steamgamesales.com/

I don't know if you guys use this site already or not, but you should probably check it out during this sale. It keeps track of everything that's on sale and notes when the changes in price occur, and if you watch it, you'll notice there's been a few "stealth sales" added that aren't daily deals, but also weren't there on the first day either. I've noticed that King Arthur went on sale for 50% off yesterday despite previously not being on sale. Also, if you look at today's changes, you'll notice that Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and Haunted House have just been made 50% off as well.

vocab

Stallion Free said:
It's the definitive version of the game.

True, it has its problems though (UE3 specific). It's leaps and bounds better than the 360 version though. ME2 runs way better. Also, I don't understand why people are trying to get a controller working with ME2. The game is a thousand times better with a mouse and keyboard.

Luigi87 said:
Are you looking at the Digital Deluxe Edition?
standard. digital deluxe is $30 in my steam

edit: I read a couple pages back, apparently it's a region thing and I need to find someone to give it as a gift to me. anyone willing to help? I can pay with paypal immediately.

Snuggler said:
I bought Mafia for $5, it's pretty cool. I like the driving.
You better like the driving. :lol There is a bit too much of it for my taste.

It is a very enjoyable old game. It does a great job getting atmosphere.

DarthWoo said:
Silent Hunter Collection (III and its expansions) is mine. Is Silent Hunter 5 any good? Wikipedia says it got panned hard, but most of the reason for that was the learning curve.
Also glitches that were supposedly fixed, and probably something against the awful Ubisoft DRM. I haven't played it though, it might be legitimately bad.

Joe Molotov

Mafia 2 was a pretty good game, just don't go in expecting a sandbox game like GTA. It's got a fairly big city, but you mainly just drive from one mission location to the next, there's not really anything to do in between. The only side quest you can do is steal cars and then sell them at two different places for money, but you almost never need money, and when you do, the game just gives it to you. Just enjoy the storyline and the gangster shootouts.

Forkball

So on the last day, is the sale a "best of" type of thing where they repeat old sales and sometimes even have the older sales for even bigger discounts? Isn't that what happened last year?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vocab said:
True, it has its problems though (UE3 specific). It's leaps and bounds better than the 360 version though. ME2 runs way better. Also, I don't understand why people are trying to get a controller working with ME2. The game is a thousand times better with a mouse and keyboard.
Yeah, I don't understand either. There is a time and a place for pads and I use mine a ton, but Mass Effect is fantastic on the MKB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom