• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Thank goodness the last couple of days have been underwhelming (for me). I've already bought more games than I intended to. I am eyeing up one of the Silent Hunter games though.

Get Silent Hunter 5 ASAP! It might not gotten the best reviews at launch but after the first big official patch it really is one of the best games in the series if not best. Then again you really can't go wrong with the other SH games either ;) Buy 'em, you know you want to.

Ledsen

SalsaShark said:
Far Cry 2 and Psychonauts

FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2

...sorry I just love the game so much I got caught up!

Ledsen said:
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2

FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2

After hearing about it every single week on the Idle Thumbs Podcast, I finally want to play it. Ubi Soft, don't be dumb, make it a daily deal!

Is anyone else experiencing poor performance with AC2? The game is usually in the mid 40s but when I do a quick camera rotation it drops down to the mid 20s. I've checked out Afterburner and it's telling me that the gpu usage doesn't go over 50%

This is with a slightly overclocked HD5850

drizzle

Axel Hertz
legend166 said:
Anyone who owns RE5 willing to gift me DR2 and I'll pay you through PayPal? :)
Does that even work? I was under the impression that it didn't.

I'm still having second thoughts on Dead Rising 2. I mean, I really want to play it, but it's gonna be a while, the discount is not that good, and I didn't even play Case Zero on the 360 yet (I finally finished Dead Rising a couple months ago and I'm a little "not into" the gameplay right now)...

I don't know...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
CiSTM said:
Get Silent Hunter 5 ASAP! It might not gotten the best reviews at launch but after the first big official patch it really is one of the best games in the series if not best. Then again you really can't go wrong with the other SH games either ;) Buy 'em, you know you want to.

I never could play any of the titles cause my hardware was always to weak when I was considering them. I always thought that SH3 is considered to be the peak of the franchise? Short description why people should chose SH5 over SH3?

and this:
Let's start with it being a chubby system hog. This is the first game I've seen my 2.4GHz quad-core with 6GB RAM and a Radeon X1900 struggle with, even on reasonable settings.

doesnt sound too good as well.

AzumiChan

Banned
G_Berry said:
Has anyone bought Back to the future on Steam?

EVEN though it's got no steam cheevs and is over $20

I jumped the gun at release yesterday, haven't played through all of it yet but loving what I've seen so far. Like the other Tell Tale games it's hardly pushing hardware into the next dimension but the details, omg. Small little touches everywhere.

So if you're like me and grew up watching the movies and wanted a hoverboard of your own. Buy it! for the love of god, buy it!

Zzoram

Ledsen said:
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2

You actually love that game? I couldn't stand playing it. The respawning enemies made it far too tedious to travel.

It didn't help that the voice acting was the stiffest I've heard in a game yet.

Zzoram

DeVeAn said:
Will the Mass Effects get any cheaper than $10? Demo ran awesome. Just beat it on 360 but would like to have on PC.

Also anything special about the Genesis games on steam?

ME1 might go down to $5 some time in the next 6 months during an EA week sale but no guarantees. ME2 probably won't go below $10 for at least another year, possibly longer.

Zzoram said:
You actually love that game? I couldn't stand playing it. The respawning enemies made it far too tedious to travel.

I had no problem with the respawning enemies - once you get the better equipment, it's much easier to deal with the AI (who usually have shoddy, broken down guns). However, the real problem imo was with the fact that the AI has ridiculous accuracy, often spotting you through trees and bushes well before you can even see them. Despite that, and despite a ridiculous glitch that affected a huge portion of the console userbase and wasn't fixed for nearly a year, I really enjoyed the game - the world was beautiful and a lot of fun to explore.

Lets see if I kind soul helps me out here:

Can some european see if the steam version of alpha protocol cames with spanish subs in the ingame options. The game exists with spanish subs, but they are not listed in the steam page, so before buying it I would like to know.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just got Silent Hunter 4. I know 3 is supposed to be better, but I don't want to play as a U-boat. The other games I'm looking at aren't daily deals, so before I get those I'll wait through Christmas to see if they do something totally bonkers.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I played Darksiders and it runs like shit on my rig. It runs at about 30 fps with dips down to 20 when you're attacking :(.

I'm pretty damn sure I should be able to keep a constant 60. Anyone know what might be up? Except the obvious answer: Shitty catalyst drivers (Always the answer)

Edit: Got a HD5870 1gB and a C2D E8500 @ 3.16. Should be more than enough for a 360 port.

Wellington said:
Has anyone been able to launch Dead Rising 2 via Steam?

I googled the issue, seems to be common, but nothing works for me.

Go to the folder with the .exe and right click on the executable and run as administrator. I dont know for a fact that is the problem, but that is what it sounds like.

Dennis

Banned
Ledsen said:
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
FAR CRY 2
Far Cry 2 pisses me off. Such a missed opportunity. The respawning enemies and the broken stealth kills the game.

Oh, and....*jeep out of nowhere rams you at 100 mph*

The graphics are hideous too. Bizarre and plastic looking foliage.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Wellington said:
Has anyone been able to launch Dead Rising 2 via Steam?

I googled the issue, seems to be common, but nothing works for me.
Does it just not launch, or does it launch and then crash?

DennisK4 said:
Far Cry 2 pisses me off. Such a missed opportunity. The respawning enemies and the broken stealth kills the game.

The graphics were incredible.

Sanjay

Easy_D said:
So I played Darksiders and it runs like shit on my rig. It runs at about 30 fps with dips down to 20 when you're attacking :(.

I'm pretty damn sure I should be able to keep a constant 60. Anyone know what might be up? Except the obvious answer: Shitty catalyst drivers (Always the answer)

Edit: Got a HD5870 1gB and a C2D E8500 @ 3.16. Should be more than enough for a 360 port.

You should be getting 60FPS lock with that rig, something is up, try removing drivers and installing the latest ones.

DennisK4 said:

I feel the same too, the re-spawning enemies broke the game for me, otherwise I really liked it. I wish some one would mod that out the game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Avyrocky said:
Is there a chance that Modern Warfare 2 will be under £10?

I doubt it personally?
The Modern Warfare 1 daily sale is the cheapest I have seen it on Steam, ever.
So maybe in 10 years time MW2 will be under £10 :D. Activision are greedy bastards like that I guess.

Edit: Sanjay, I am on the latest release, 10.12, that is. I'm thinking they just suck horribly and apparently there are no issues with Darksiders on 10.10, so I might as well go back to those :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
legend166 said:
Anyone who owns RE5 willing to gift me DR2 and I'll pay you through PayPal? :)
If that's kosher to ask here, I'd like some help with that too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheShampion said:
Holy crap, Bully Scholarship edition just released in my region! It is the first Rockstar game to do so! Is the port any good? I may just buy it if it is.

I know the port was initially quite poor--hence the 15 point difference in its average review score versus the PS2 original. But I think with patches they fixed 99% of the stuff that made it a poor port, although I'm not 100% sure.

The game is excellent, though! Play it on whatever platform you need to!

Dice

I'm way too excited about this. I have been eying Silent Hunter since the second game. I'm not a total sub nut but I do think they're cool. Everything is on you, too. These guys do everything you say without question. So if you chart a course and shit happens to be in your way, you'll smash right into it. You can pretty much adjust everything about the realism, too.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Easy_D said:

What resolution are you running at? You should be able to run it without breaking a sweat. I was just trying it out to see how I compare HD4670 1GB, C2D E6600, 6 GB DDR2 RAM over here and I was at a pretty steady 30FPS unless ridiculous shit was going on.

UrbanRats

I bought Mafia 2 from Amazon.com (i'm European, though) using a US billing address.
And when i use the product key they've given me on steam, this message pop up:
steammafia2.jpg

Is there a way around it? :(

Rur0ni

UrbanRats said:
I bought Mafia 2 from Amazon.com (i'm European, though) using a US billing address.
And when i use the product key they've given me on steam, this message pop up:

Is there a way around it? :(
Maybe use a US proxy for activation.

Shaneus

Yup. You'll need to find a "secure" browsing app (tunneler?) then run the Steam client. I used GoTrusted, but you need to verify your account by either getting billed 1c through PayPal or giving them your credit card details to authorize. Oh, and to charge you once you forget to disable it after the 7-day trial.

I did that, ran Steam, entered the code and it appeared in my game list. Quit, reconnected without using that app and downloaded away :)

Blizzard

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
What's Operation Flashpoint all about?
It's a semi-"realistic" military shooter. You give a squad commands to move from point A to point B, rescue hostages, take out enemy positions, etc. You can play it in co-op. There are some HUD features, but even with them it can be really had to spot enemies and you die in only a couple of bullets. You can also drive vehicles.

If you mean the overarching plot, it's something about liberating/infiltrating an island.

UrbanRats

Shaneus said:
Yup. You'll need to find a "secure" browsing app (tunneler?) then run the Steam client. I used GoTrusted, but you need to verify your account by either getting billed 1c through PayPal or giving them your credit card details to authorize. Oh, and to charge you once you forget to disable it after the 7-day trial.

I did that, ran Steam, entered the code and it appeared in my game list. Quit, reconnected without using that app and downloaded away :)
I guess i'll try something like that, later.

If i download it from steam using that trick, is it a bannable offense? (from steam i mean) and are the EU DLCs (Joe's adventure and such) compatible? Anyone knows it? :D

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wellington said:
What resolution are you running at? You should be able to run it without breaking a sweat. I was just trying it out to see how I compare HD4670 1GB, C2D E6600, 6 GB DDR2 RAM over here and I was at a pretty steady 30FPS unless ridiculous shit was going on.
1280x1024 :lol. I know I should be destroying this game performance wise, not get dips to 20 fps when I'm in a fight with two enemies. I'm 99.9% sure this is a driver issue. AMD/ATI usually break shit with every new driver.

Dice

Woah, woah, what? I'm in the US and you're saying I can get Mafia II for $12.50 from Amazon, enter the key on Steam and it's all good?

Dice

How does it control? I got Hitman before and it was awful. Does it have 360 controller support?

Schmattakopf said:
Any opinions on SH4 over SH3? And is the expansion necessary?
If you're nerdy enough to like it, you'll like it. I don't see why you'd get the expansion for 4 since 3 is all about U-boats, unless you really want their missions in the east waters. Of course, part of my reason against getting 3 is that it's graphics drop below the suspension of belief line for whatever impresses my brain, so I wouldn't judge you if you'd shy from it just for being old. But I'm also not sure if you already have 3 or not by the way this is phrased. Generally, people say 4 isn't as good, but still really good, just not all-time classic like 3 apparently is.

But really, you command and that is what the game is about. You recon and gain intel and plan, and tell your crew what to execute and they do it. You're creating and participating in your own story in a huge war. There are also a bunch of small missions of different types you can do if you want shorter ventures. If you have fun with that kind of thing, you'll like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom