• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dice said:
If you're nerdy enough to like it, you'll like it. I don't see why you'd get the expansion for 4 since 3 is all about U-boats, unless you really want their missions in the east waters. Of course, part of my reason against getting 3 is that it's graphics drop below the suspension of belief line for whatever impresses my brain, so I wouldn't judge you if you'd shy from it just for being old.

But really, you command and that is what the game is about. You recon and gain intel and plan, and tell your crew what to execute and they do it. You're creating and participating in your own story in a huge war. There are also a bunch of small missions of different types you can do if you want shorter ventures. If you have fun with that kind of thing, you'll like it.
I have SH3 retail and I enjoyed it. It just seems like SH4 doesn't add much. Except newer graphics, as you said.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
DeVeAn said:
Also anything special about the Genesis games on steam?
My only advice is to avoid Galaxy Force 2. DO NOT BUY.

I own Space Harrier II and the 3rd Classics Pack, and everything seems to run perfectly.

Is anybody actually able to play dead rising 2?

Everytime I try launch it, Games for Windows Live checks to see if the game has its release date, then "decrypts" a few files. When I goto validate my game cache, steam tells me 3 files are fucked after Microsoft has their way with them.

Surely GFWL isn't this much cancer, is it? There must be some other explanation?

Ah, who am I kidding...

I went to bed last night after talking myself out of double dipping on ME1 - I own it retail already but lost the CD keys. I'd been contemplating SH4 and the Patrician as well.

For some reason, my common sense deserted me this morn and I ended up buying ME1 and SH4. Which takes my spending to $30-35 or so:

- Bully
- Men of War Gold Edition
- Mass Effect
- Silent Hunter 4

Safe Bet

Banned
My personal tally so far:

Bully: Scholarship Edition
The Witcher
Lara Croft: GoL
Half-Life 2: Episode Two

I'd have to look at me receipts to be sure what I've spent but I'm pretty sure it's <$20.

Just think about that for a minute.

I mean seriously, just think about it for a minute...

All that gametime for less than twenty dollars.

:eek:

I don't know how the fuck they do it, but thank you Gabe and thank you Steam Team.

Xater

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is Blood bowl, deathspank, or wings of prey any good?

I bought Blood Bowl when it was first released. Played it for an hour and never touched it again. It's terrible.

cramcakes

Just Cause 2 and Darksiders so far.

Got Mass Effect last year for $5 and haven't played it yet. Gabe's going to have to go a little lower for ME2...:lol

Xater said:
I bought Blood Bowl when it was first released. Played it for an hour and never touched it again. It's terrible.

That's unfortunate to hear. :( It looked pretty cool.

jediyoshi said:
Wings of Prey, definitely. Assuming you have at least a gamepad and don't mind their crazy DRM.

What's the DRM for it?

TouchMyBox said:
Is anybody actually able to play dead rising 2?

Everytime I try launch it, Games for Windows Live checks to see if the game has its release date, then "decrypts" a few files. When I goto validate my game cache, steam tells me 3 files are fucked after Microsoft has their way with them.

Surely GFWL isn't this much cancer, is it? There must be some other explanation?

Ah, who am I kidding...

I think Wellington had the same problem on the last page. He had to manually install gfwl.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What's the DRM for it?

Not being allowed to play it after a few routine formats.

I <3 Memes said:
I think Wellington had the same problem on the last page. He had to manually install gfwl.

Hmm, I'll try that, I just noticed I never installed GFWL after my most recent format.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So any consensus on deathspank?

I liked it. I was kind of ready for it to be over a bit before the game ended, and there's a point in the game where it's not clear where you should be going (which made me think I had to complete an area which was 5 levels too high for me), but if you're not a dumbass like myself, you should find quite a bit of enjoyment out of it if you're a fan of Diablo-style hack and slash games and Ron Gilbert humour.

Ceebs

Anyone have an opinion between SH5 and SH4? Are the games total sim, or Semi-Sim closer to something like a console racing sim (Forza/GT series)

Ledsen

Zzoram said:
You actually love that game? I couldn't stand playing it. The respawning enemies made it far too tedious to travel.

It didn't help that the voice acting was the stiffest I've heard in a game yet.

Yep, one of my favourite games ever. Brilliant in every way, although Chris Remo explains its greatness better than I. I know it's a love it or hate it deal though.

Dennisk4 said:
Far Cry 2 pisses me off. Such a missed opportunity. The respawning enemies and the broken stealth kills the game.

Oh, and....*jeep out of nowhere rams you at 100 mph*

The graphics are hideous too. Bizarre and plastic looking foliage.

Actually I'd say it's probably the most beautiful game ever made. The environments are amazing.

This was the first day where i didnt get anything, i really wanted Darksiders but $10 is still too much for me, it will cut down my budget alot.

only have $27 left, can't pay more than $7 for just one game. :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
4 Days down, 10 more to go.

Damage so far
Tomb Raider GOL, 3.60
Tomb Raider Anniversary, 4.99
Recettear, 6.40
Just Cause 2, 7.50
Irongrip, 2.50
Bully SE, 3.75

28.75 so far.

Just loaded up Darksiders and man is it way prettier on PC than 360. Also, during the buildbot there was a popup for some sort of comic book. How do I access it? Is it ingame as an unlockable or somewhere else?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
TouchMyBox said:
Not being allowed to play it after a few routine formats.

Hmm, I'll try that, I just noticed I never installed GFWL after my most recent format.
Did you get it to work? I played a bit but even after installing GFWL it took a reboot. Eh whatever, it works now but they should somehow include a GFWL client check with the install.

Nabs

Easy_D said:
1280x1024 :lol. I know I should be destroying this game performance wise, not get dips to 20 fps when I'm in a fight with two enemies. I'm 99.9% sure this is a driver issue. AMD/ATI usually break shit with every new driver.

I'm using the latest cat drivers and it works well for me. 60 locked with 8xMSAA forced through CCC. I have a better CPU though.

Loving Darksiders btw. I've been playing it a ton since downloading it last night.

So far I've got for around $30.00:
BC 2
ME
ME2
Just Cause 2

Just Cause was really an impulse buy but for $6.00 I couldn't pass it up. I'd regret not buying it months.

I'm new to steam but was wondering if I can make purchases on steam using my phone? I would assume as long as I'm logged into my account I can buy from any pc and just install when I get home. Also has anyone played cities xl 2011?

Wellington said:
Did you get it to work? I played a bit but even after installing GFWL it took a reboot. Eh whatever, it works now but they should somehow include a GFWL client check with the install.

Yeah, all is good now. Try verify your game cache after the gfw install. Make sure to run the GFWL client and sign in too.

mikespit1200 said:
Just loaded up Darksiders and man is it way prettier on PC than 360. Also, during the buildbot there was a popup for some sort of comic book. How do I access it? Is it ingame as an unlockable or somewhere else?

Check THQ folder in your Program Files

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nabs said:
I'm using the latest cat drivers and it works well for me. 60 locked with 8xMSAA forced through CCC. I have a better CPU though.

Loving Darksiders btw. I've been playing it a ton since downloading it last night.
I get the feeling something must be wrong though, I mean, if I look at a wall it barely stays above 60. The game doesn't exactly have the looks to warrant a framerate like this. I should clean my drivers and reinstall them some day and see if that helps.

Nabs

Easy_D said:
I get the feeling something must be wrong though, I mean, if I look at a wall it barely stays above 60. The game doesn't exactly have the looks to warrant a framerate like this. I should clean my drivers and reinstall them some day and see if that helps.
good idea. it takes a few extra minutes, but i love using driversweeper and starting fresh.

Cdammen

Gifted Left 4 Dead 2 and Freedom Force to a friend and I got Mass Effect 2, Bob Came in Pieces, a Indie Pack and Shatter for myself.

mm04

Easy_D said:

You don't have 2 GPUs do you? I had the same issues but I was running 2 5770s. Once I disabled Crossfire, it jumped to over 60fps average. For reference, I have an X4 955 @ 3.6ghz as my CPU.

Nabs

Easy_D said:
The Modern Warfare 1 daily sale is the cheapest I have seen it on Steam, ever.
So maybe in 10 years time MW2 will be under £10 :D. Activision are greedy bastards like that I guess.

Edit: Sanjay, I am on the latest release, 10.12, that is. I'm thinking they just suck horribly and apparently there are no issues with Darksiders on 10.10, so I might as well go back to those :)

actually dude, i'm on 10.10 :lol 10.10e i believe, give those a try

Sanjay

UrbanRats said:
I bought Mafia 2 from Amazon.com (i'm European, though) using a US billing address.
And when i use the product key they've given me on steam, this message pop up:
steammafia2.jpg

Is there a way around it? :(

Damn this must be a first for Steam, region locked CD keys.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, after sleeping on it I finally pulled the trigger on Alpha Protocol. I've been a big fan of Obsidian's work in the past mostly because of the story and the subtlety of choices available despite the "jankiness," so I'm hoping AP turns out to be the same case.

Damage so far:

Deus Ex Collection
Prince of Persia
Super Meat Boy
The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
Alpha Protocol

...for about $20.

I'm lucky (?) that I already own a lot of these games that have been on sale and have actually been playing them, so not too bad so far.

Only half an hour till the next day's deals, aggghhh. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom