• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day and already I own the games on sale that I would have purchased.

Borderlands is a fun cooperative shooter with light rpg elements, light character development and randomised loot that I never managed to play cooperatively :lol All of my friends that used to play Borderlands stopped playing before I finally bought the game in a previous Steam sale. Still, didn't let that stop me from chunking in over twenty hours into the main game, rolling with a Sniper.

As far as I understand it Mad Maxxi's Underdome Riot is the only thing anyone should steer clear of when it comes to Borderlands but if you're buying the GotY edition it doesn't matter because you're getting all of the DLC. It's a fun game that's likely even more fun when played with friends.

Just make sure you download the community generated Borderlands Advanced Config to properly tweak the game.

Raxus

I have a problem. I bought Fallout 3 (retail) and now it won't give me the 10% discount for NV. I tried inputing the live key but it didn't register. Am I screwed?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Bungieware said:
How would Torchlight run on a 2 year old laptop? No idea about the specs apart from 2GB ram and Pentium Dual-Core Inside...?
The game actually has a laptop mode, you could always download the demo and check it out :D

Kayhan said:
Loads of fun. Goofy gangsta plot that doesn't take itself too serious.

So well worth the 7.50? It's too damn bad the first wasn't also published.

Oh and on Sam and Max. That's the third season right? Will I be incredibly lost if I havent played the first 2?

Raxus said:
I have a problem. I bought Fallout 3 (retail) and now it won't give me the 10% discount for NV. I tried inputing the live key but it didn't register. Am I screwed?

Steam only cares about whether or not you own the Steam version. You can only register New Vegas because it is Steamworks. You can't register Fallout 3.

Bii

Today marks the day I pushed my Steam holiday spending over $100. Here's what I bought today:

Ghost Recon Pack - $9.99
Devil May Cry 4 - $4.99
King Arthur Pack - $5.39
Battlefield 2 Complete Collection - $4.99
Overlord Complete Pack - $3.00
Mass Effect 2 - $9.99
Subtotal: $38.35

And I've spent $112 already. We're only on Day 5. :(
I do plan on getting Metro 2033 (if it's $10 or less), a few more Indie packs (I only bought one, the Kids Pack) and a number of sub-$5 games that I'll purchase at the end of the sale if they're not daily deals.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
SR2 as well as being poorly optimized has been $5 before, so its not even the best deal.

Ettie

Bungieware said:
How would Torchlight run on a 2 year old laptop? No idea about the specs apart from 2GB ram and Pentium Dual-Core Inside...?

Torchlight will run on a solar calculator. I've personally run it on a simple dual core with integrated graphics and been fine. It has a netbook mode for those who don't have the beef for the pretties.

EDIT:

Also, still waiting on Divinity II and Settlers VII. He'p me Gabe! He'p me!

Raxus said:
Yup. Fallout 3 isn't a steamworks game. Discount only works if you bought it through steam.

Raxus

Diomedeskun said:
Steam only cares about whether or not you own the Steam version. You can only register New Vegas because it is Steamworks. You can't register Fallout 3.
Bollocks. Thanks.

god damn this year's sale is absurd. We're gonna need a steam backlog/group therapy thread in the new year to clear some of this shit out. We can post what we bought, bitch about being broke, try to play some of these damn games.

theinfinityissue said:
god damn this year's sale is absurd. We're gonna need a steam backlog/group therapy thread in the new year to clear some of this shit out. We can post what we bought, bitch about being broke, try to play some of these damn games.

lol yup. It's been the best sale yet IMO. And as others have said, we're not even half way done lol.

Is there anyway to get a gift code on Steam? I want to gift a game to someone who I know uses steam, but I don't know their account name or e-mail.

ghst said:
do the king arthur expansions benefit the original campaign, or are they by separate? i don't usually buy expansions until i'm done with the oc. not so much a price thing, i just don't like to buy things i know there's every chance i won't play. atleast if it benefits the oc i know i''ll get something out of it.

The Knights & Vassals DLC will add in 6 new units that you can use during the main campaign, while the Legendary Artefacts DLC will give you some rare items, but only after completing some tough missions, while the Saxon's DLC pack is a whole separate campaign.

Easy_D said:
So I downgraded to 10.10e and Darksiders still averages at around 35fps. But hey, +10 frames! Maxes out at 70 when looking at a wall :D So apparently a Dual Core isn't enough for a 360 port.

Edit: It dips below 30 even at 800x600 :lol
Resident Evil 5 capped out at 45 frames on my Core 2 Duo.

Krakn3Dfx

poppabk said:
SR2 as well as being poorly optimized has been $5 before, so its not even the best deal.

It wouldn't be a deal for free, it would just be a multi-gig game taking up space that you can barely play because it's so broken.

androvsky

If I use the email option to gift someone something on Steam that already has Steam, will it work? He added me as a friend, but he's not showing up on my friends list (but his alt account still shows as awaiting confirmation).

Also updated my "Considering for the future" list, though a few of the additions are so low already, they probably won't get a daily deal.

Things I'm considering for the future, especially if they get a daily deal:
Indie Fantasy, Future, Kid Packs
UFO Extraterrestrials Gold
Zeno Clash
Shank
Blue Toad Murder Files
Wallace and Gromit
Back to the Future (Hey, who knows, they might put it on sale for publicity (I wish))
Time Gentlemen, Please
Tropico Reloaded
Broken Sword Director's Cut
Railroad Tycoon II, III

Alright. Picked up Torchlight, and the two new GR:AWF games. By far this has been my cheapest day.

Holy fuck @ my backlog. I don't even know if I am going to have time to finish these the next few months due to school. :lol :lol

I'm thinking about picking up the Ghost Recon pack. I loved the very first one and only played advanced warfighter a little, so I think it would be worth it.

Minsc

Gold Member
LovingSteam said:
lol yup. It's been the best sale yet IMO. And as others have said, we're not even half way done lol.

Barely a 1/3 of the way through, still an entire week + 2 days! C'mon Divinity 2: DKS!

Wasn't going to get anything today (already bought New Vegas from D2D when it was $30), but then I noticed that Overlord complete was only $3.00. Sigh.

Krakn3Dfx said:
It wouldn't be a deal for free, it would just be a multi-gig game taking up space that you can barely play because it's so broken.
It's not bad if you have four or more cores. I still enjoyed GTA4 a lot more, but I know there were a lot of people who preferred the less serious style of SR2. The netcode is all kinds of jank though.

Sipowicz

Banned
for those wondering ghost recon is supposed to be shit and borderlands/saints row are supposed to be very poor versions of those games

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ill also be biting on King Arthur, see you on the medieval battlefields!

Any chance to re-experience some kind of Total War experience is something I can't pass up.

Now that said, I've never yet completed a TW campaign...

John

theinfinityissue said:
play?

Marc :D

Neo Member
Help me with King Arthur Gaf

It looks fun and I tried the demo. But from what I've been reading, it seems the campaign in imba-broken lol.

Encountering much higher leveled/better equipped units early in the game. Is this true? is it still fun?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Borderlands is a fun and absolutely amazing game but is HORRIBLY optimized for mid-to-low range PC's also Gamespy online service is the worst online service I've ever used in my history of PC gaming..

Fuck that shit, seriously. Fuck you Gamespy.

Also GRAW games are not really of good quality. But thats my 2c.

Zero-Crescent said:
Also updated my "Considering for the future" list, though a few of the additions are so low already, they probably won't get a daily deal.

Things I'm considering for the future, especially if they get a daily deal:
Indie Fantasy, Future, Kid Packs
UFO Extraterrestrials Gold
Zeno Clash
Shank
Blue Toad Murder Files
Wallace and Gromit
Back to the Future (Hey, who knows, they might put it on sale for publicity (I wish))
Time Gentlemen, Please
Tropico Reloaded
Broken Sword Director's Cut
Railroad Tycoon II, III

Same here, also Commandos, but that seems to be £2.99 until 2 Jan in the discount details.

cicero

Sysgen said:
GRAW1/2 easily worth $7.50. They are not console ports! Bought them ages ago for the same price from gamersgate.
From everything I have been reading the AI is horrible, and your fellow soldiers are basically useless in both, not enough control in 1, and too much control in 2.

Are my impressions wrong, or have these issues been patched since release? Any info about this would be great. Otherwise I am going to go with Ghost Recon and the two expansions instead of the complete pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom