• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

robatw

this sale sucks, a lot of 50%.

i bought gta 4 for 7$ last year...

no big games cheap this year...i even considered buying dmc..but wtf

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
azentium said:
It was daily deal yesterday for $10. Every other day it has been $15.
Holy shit for real? :lol :lol Since my region appears as PR it was giving me a $20 price point. Logged in from my cellphone and saw it. Wtf =P

szaromir

Banned
The 360 versions were rather bad games and I heard the PC ones were even worse. :/

Is there online community for original Ghost Recon?

Owzers

I ended up just getting the vanilla King Arthur, i'm probably not going to play it for awhile and i'm not really into secondary stories that take place during the original story. Still, another good deal.

ne1

For a second I was glad that I caught DMC while it was at €5, but then I realized that I never pulled the trigger because I thought that I might as well wait. Should've known better I guess. Bah.

Decided to go with King Arthur and Overlord due the positive remarks surrounding those games as I like unique games. Never bought this much of games in such short time.

So far its:

Bully
Lara Croft
The Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom
Puzzle Quest
Super Meat Boy
The Witcher

gifted:

Titans Quest (was supposed to buy for myself too but had problems with the bank)
Lara Croft

SaskBoy said:
Ugh. I am so tempted on New Vegas but I don't think 29.99 is a good enough deal.

I am tempted to buy it for PS3 just so I can play on my 40 inch TV and I can get for 39.99 on Boxing Day.

What's GAF's opinion?
Wait a year and buy if for half the price with all the DLC :lol.

Caoz

Firehead said:
I repeat, do not buy Saints Row 2. It's so poorly optimised, it won't even run properly on my new build.

I feel that is my duty to warn everybody to stay away from saints row 2. I can run every game I have bought and they all play fine on my HD 4850 but SR2. Is an unplayable mess, it only took 5 mins to be un-installed.

On this note. could anyone share their experiences with DMC4 ? Is it optimized ?

hlhbk

Caoz said:
I feel that is my duty to warn everybody to stay away from saints row 2. I can run every game I have bought and they all play fine on my HD 4850 but SR2. Is an unplayable mess, it only took 5 mins to be un-installed.

On this note. could anyone share their experiences with DMC4 ? Is it optimized ?

I also want to throw my hat into the DO NOT BUY SAINTS ROW 2 FOR PC hat. It's optimization makes GTA's look awesome.

I have DMC 4 for 360 and and am currently downloading it for PC. I will give my impressions of it after checking it out.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Caoz said:

DMC4 PC is the best version

Blizzard said:
Let us know if you have Vista or Windows 7 and Shattered Union works for you.

I'm on Win7 64bit and Shattered Union crashes on launch - after a quick search on google, it seems many people with 64bit OS have the same problem. The steam page says it's not Vista compatible, doesn't mention anything about Win7 or 64bit. I know it was extremely cheap, but it's still disappointing as the game looked interesting :(

Teknoman

So far:

for me
Oddboxx (the new fixes found in the official topic, and ceo working with us = good deal. The games are actually awesome too).
Prince of Persia (beautiful and relaxing platforming. The whole cant die thing works like a checkpoint system really)
The Witcher (Strange performance at times, but still looks and plays good. A little Dead of Alive-ish whenever women take a step forward :lol)

gifts
Puzzle Quest

Blizzard

Banned
Bootaaay said:
I'm on Win7 64bit and Shattered Union crashes on launch - after a quick search on google, it seems many people with 64bit OS have the same problem. The steam page says it's not Vista compatible, doesn't mention anything about Win7 or 64bit. I know it was extremely cheap, but it's still disappointing as the game looked interesting :(
Yup. Get Winterbottom for 50 cents if you haven't, since at least that should work for you. Unfortunately it looks like Windows Vista or 7 don't play well with Shattered Union, thus robbing many poor souls of 50 cents unless someone finds a workaround.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So sad about DMC4. I wasn't even deciding if I wanted it, I was deciding if I wanted King Arthur. It's weird it's still part of the daily though, this is the price it was when the sale started isn't it?

LCfiner

And for 3 bucks I just added the Overworld pack to today's haul. No idea when I'll play this one but for less than 5 bucks, i figure it's worth a shot

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wish Steam had a "Shut down when download Finishes" Option.

Wait, what the hell, did DMC4 just go up in price! Welp, so much for buying it, just checking out.

Caoz said:

gotta grab my torch and join this mob. but i will say that from saints row 2, ive learned to research user feedback more before buying. i wouldve seen that its crappy performance was pretty well noted

UrbanRats

Krakn3Dfx said:
Remember when DMC4 was $5?

Remember when I was going to buy it?
Never take a shower during the steam sales, lesson learned.

But seriously, what's the point of raising the price on a daily deal like, 3 hrs after launch?

Luigi87

UrbanRats said:
Never take a shower during the steam sales, lesson learned.

But seriously, what's the point of raising the price on a daily deal like, 3 hrs after launch?

Mindset of early bird vs. price error.

Hard to say...
Another example was Valve Pack for $25 -- now that equated to the greatest deal ever listed (not that the $50 is anything to scoff at, considering I've gotten nearly every Valve game at full price anyhow <.<)

Ceebs

hlhbk said:
Is there any way to force Steam to continue downloading games while playing a game that was launched from Steam?
Alt+tab out of the game you are playing, then resume the download and alt+tab back into the game.

Truespeed

For those that bought Shattered Union and have Windows 7 there's a possible solution on the Steam forums:

I was getting the same error message in Win 7 64 bit every time I started the game.
I got it working by limited my RAM to 2GB using msconfig. I've played a couple skirmish missions, so far so good.

Seems a bit excessive, but whatever.

fatty

charlequin said:
I can never pass up the opportunity to used the "fixed" meme when there is an actual factual error to fix.

I'm still catching up with this thread, but I just gotta know, what did Easy_D have in there before "netbook" mode for torchlight?

Truespeed

careksims said:
WHAT!? I leave and they upped the prices!?!?! WTF is this shit!? Not going to get DMC4 now! AURGH! What is this!? D:

Yes, in addition to offering additional discounts if you own a related game they've now instituted surprise time limits on deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom