• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting for new page

Just had to post this. Its a post from the Steam forums (yes, I know)

The perfect gift for a gamer. I got this from my son.

CardClosed.jpg

CardOpen.jpg

... Come on valve, add gift cards or ability for people to add to other peoples steam wallet.

Yes!! Torchlight finally!!

bought!

Got the Overlord pack as well, can't resist at $3.

Was considering DMC4 but as i read here it was actually $5 then gone up to $10?? WTH :lol :lol :lol wallet saved.

Not sure about King Arthur, thinking about getting just the base game, but i only have $19 in my wallet.. Really hoping Red Alert 3 would be on sale :( what if.. what if..

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Mush said:
Is anyone else having problems loading the Steam purchase page? I've been trying all day, I figured it might be high traffic or something. If I can't do it soon I might have to get someone to buy what I want for me. :/
Are you just trying to access it from the Steam client? If not, try accessing steampowered.com, you don't have to buy through the client itself :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
... Come on valve, add gift cards or ability for people to add to other peoples steam wallet.

I still think that computers should have a little money slot like a vending machine, and when you put money in it automatically goes to your Steam account

Mrbob

LovingSteam said:
Posting for new page

Just had to post this. Its a post from the Steam forums (yes, I know)

Heh, that is pretty awesome. Valve should have gift card support in Steam and get cards into Wal Mart and other retail stores asap.

Those gift cards would come in VERY handy. Steam seems to keep a much closer eye on it's community than most so I expect gift cards in some form or another before the next holiday sale.
dani_dc said:
DMC4 actually fell down in the charts since it went down in price.
It's worth noting that the sale chart is ordered by revenue and not units sold, meaning that capcom is actually making less money at the higher price :lol
If this is true then Steam is probably the only place on this planet where small indie devs can have higher revenue than Activision(even if only for a day). Capcom can suck it too!

:D :D :D
Snuggler said:
I still think that computers should have a little money slot like a vending machine, and when you put money in it automatically goes to your Steam account
The micro-transactions on steam and amazon alone would guarantee a freeze on my bank account every first week of the month. I don't even want to imagine it.
:lol

Marc :D

Neo Member
Bought the witcher on sale and I'm 16 hours in. Excellent title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm super pissed about ME2! It didn't show as $9.99 in my region.

RAGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LCfiner

SolarPowered said:
If this is true then Steam is probably the only place on this planet where small indie devs can have higher revenue than Activision(even if only for a day). Capcom can suck it too!

:D :D :D

l

Happens every day on the iPhone :)

And so far i think this sale has been great. I haven't owned too many of the games on sale so I've been picking up quite a few and most of them seem to be quite good. tons of good deals every day.

This post prompted me to check the store page for VVVVVV and I see that SEVEN people on my friend list want the game. The game is the price of a SLICE of pizza here in NYC!

Come on fellas it ain't getting any cheaper.:lol
toasty_T said:
Is the 2D pack worth it? All I want is vvvvvv
Yeah it's worth the price. Geometry wars and VVVVVV together is worth it alone(galcon fusion is not all that interesting, but not horrible).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SolarPowered said:
This post prompted me to check the store page for VVVVVV and I see that SEVEN people on my friend list want the game. The game is the price of a SLICE of pizza here in NYC!

Well, it is Christmas...give the gift of VVVVVV and t'is will be a Merry Chrismas for all.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got VVVVVV on its own, didn't want the other games, and $2.50 is a ridiculously good price, hearing the music alone's worth that and the game is ingenious.

I wonder if anyone here bought Windosill, if those last 6 levels are a lot more complex than the demo half or about the same. I want to get it mainly for the amazing flash programming, though.

Snuggler said:
Well, it is Christmas...give the gift of VVVVVV and t'is will be a Merry Chrismas for all.
I was actually tempted to start giving out gifts, but my funds are just that tight at the moment. If a couple of things had gone the way I wanted them a couple of weeks ago I probably would have gifted all seven of them.

I can't gift shit to anyone as it stands. :/

Edit:
I may actually gift a couple if the sales are this barren throughout the weekend.

hmmm
mattiewheels said:
I got VVVVVV on its own, didn't want the other games, and $2.50 is a ridiculously good price, hearing the music alone's worth that and the game is ingenious.

I wonder if anyone here bought Windosill, if those last 6 levels are a lot more complex than the demo half or about the same. I want to get it mainly for the amazing flash programming, though.
I bought windowsill because it looked beautiful, but I have not played it yet. I just checked to see if I have it installed and there it is. I'll probably boot it up after I finish PoP: Sands of time.

Snaku

Banned
Easy_D said:
Reposting my Darksiders issue since everything gets lost in here and I don't feel like bumping a year old thread.

So I properly cleaned out my drivers, now I'm on Catalyst 10.10e again (Bless those drivers)
And I still get dips to around 22 fps in Darksiders when there's shit going on. Sure it only happens when I'm in SUPER DEMON form but I'm fighting like 2 enemies when it does it.

This is in the intro area too so if that intro stage is just shitty like that then that's fine I guess.

- Specs -
ATI/AMD Radeon HD5870 1gB
Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.16ghz
4gB DDR2 ram
Some shitty Motherboard (Asus P5N-D)
Super awesome HDD (It's average really)
Windows 7 64bit. (Why would I even use 32bit Win7?)

Thanks in advance bros. (I might be getting an i5 soon anyway so if my CPU is just too weak I'll just wait)

Sounds like your CPU is the bottleneck here.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Snaku said:
Sounds like your CPU is the bottleneck here.
That's what I sort of feared when lowering the resolution to 800x600 didn't do shit to the framerate. Strange how setting it to high priority in the task manager doesn't do anything to the framerate, though, it does wonders with Dead Rising 2 :(

Edit: Weird part is I'm looking at a video of a guy playing it on a E8200 and it's buttery smooth. As far as you can tell from a 30fps youtube video, at least. And dips below 30 usually bother the shit out of me.

Edit #2: Scratch that. But the performance is pretty similar to mine. Slightly worse. Blargh. Guess my ol' C2D is getting old after all :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
SolarPowered said:
hmmm

I bought windowsill because it looked beautiful, but I have not played it yet. I just checked to see if I have it installed and there it is. I'll probably boot it up after I finish PoP: Sands of time.
I hear it takes about half an hour to finish, but the physics and the charm are supposedly why you buy it. Just wonder if it's something I'll never boot up again :lol

Lkr

has anyone bought the indie puzzle pack? i want it for lumines, and lumines alone is the price of the entire pack. i just want to know if the other games are any good

fresquito

SalsaShark said:
Trials 2 is really fun, the game i played the most out of this sale so far.
Tell me about it! I think its secret (beyond being really fun) is the fast restart button. No kidding, ypu press the button you restart, from beginning or last check point. No camera zooming in, no camera doing circles. Just again straight to the action. More arcad games should take this approach.

However, my star game for the sales is The Witcher. Amazing, amazing game.

kagete

Bought Defense Grid yesterday, played it nonstop and now im finished! Gifted it to my bros soon after.

Question now, is there any cheap game out there that has coop or multiplayer? Defense Grid would have been ace if it had multiplayer. I want to play something with my bros but it has to be cheap and easy to run on a c2d and radeon4850

1-D_FTW

fresquito said:
Tell me about it! I think its secret (beyond being really fun) is the fast restart button. No kidding, ypu press the button you restart, from beginning or last check point. No camera zooming in, no camera doing circles. Just again straight to the action. More arcad games should take this approach.

However, my star game for the sales is The Witcher. Amazing, amazing game.

For the most part. There was a section that I was failing repeatedly. 100+ territory. I'd miss, hit reset. Miss it, hit reset. Miss it, hit reset. I had this routine down to a military precision. I was so conditioned to failing this jump and hitting reset, I instinctively hit reset after finally clearing it once.:lol Might have been my biggest sinking feeling in gaming ever. I could believe what I'd just done. I had just cleared the way to move on and I nuked it by reflex.:lol

Salsa

kagete said:
Question now, is there any cheap game out there that has coop or multiplayer? Defense Grid would have been ace if it had multiplayer. I want to play something with my bros but it has to be cheap and easy to run on a c2d and radeon4850

fright pack has both scourge episodes, wich are kinda gears clones for PC, apparently they suck though :p

mattiewheels said:
I hear it takes about half an hour to finish, but the physics and the charm are supposedly why you buy it. Just wonder if it's something I'll never boot up again :lol
It sounds like Blueberry garden and it's anything like that title I expect to boot it up every once in a while. Games like that are really more like experiences(someone got it perfectly a few pages back) and they're great to come back to for relaxation. I still do the same thing with flower every few months when I'm feeling down.
Lkr said:
has anyone bought the indie puzzle pack? i want it for lumines, and lumines alone is the price of the entire pack. i just want to know if the other games are any good
Droplitz is a piece of shit if you try to organize the puzzles from the top. Start from the bottom and it becomes golden. Shatter is a smashing success with some of the best music I've ever heard on any gaming platform in any generation. It reminds me of a horizontal Ikaruga(although not as epic) for some reaon. Cogs started out nice, but it gets kind of hard. I haven't gotten back to that one.

Edit:
I found your mention of the indie puzzle pack strange since it's not even available. You should try to be more literal or people will get confused. I have quantz as well and I remember having fun with it. I have not touched it since, but it's still installed for what it's worth.

Disregard shatter and everything else applies at least. :p

fresquito

1-D_FTW said:
For the most part. There was a section that I was failing repeatedly. 100+ territory. I'd miss, hit reset. Miss it, hit reset. Miss it, hit reset. I had this routine down to a military precision. I was so conditioned to failing this jump and hitting reset, I instinctively hit reset after finally clearing it once.:lol Might have been my biggest sinking feeling in gaming ever. I could believe what I'd just done. I had just cleared the way to move on and I nuked it by reflex.:lol
:lol

I've had some of those too :lol

1-D_FTW said:

This is not unusual, pretty sure everyone who has played Trials 2 as done this. I know I've done it many times. Infuriatingly fun comes to mind.

But you know what rocks? The next time you get to that part, you'll clear it within 50 goes without even knowing how. And then the next time you'll clear it within 20 goes and still have no idea how you're doing...you've just become one with the game.

AshMcCool

Cruzader said:
I missed the Witcher sale :(

Anyway its coming back???

I suppose in the wake of the release of the witcher 2(or shortly before) it may get a nice discount.
You could also check if you get it cheap at retail. Shouldn't be too hard.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, looks like the Overlord pack is too ridiculously good to pass up. Grabbed King Arthur as well, looks like an interesting game.

Patrician IV is a lot smaller then I expected, looks like I've got room for it afterall. Still going to rework my partition to 100 gigs next week though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
1-D_FTW said:
Welcome to the brilliance of Trials.

Anyways, played the demo of Arthur, and decided to go in for the full pack. Also decided not to waste the cash on BF2 again(I sold it off a long time ago and for good reason), and the video for the Indie deal scared me away from even wanting to try it. "Open Door!!!!!!!!!"

The_Technomancer said:
Hm, looks like the Overlord pack is too ridiculously good to pass up. Grabbed King Arthur as well, looks like an interesting game.

Patrician IV is a lot smaller then I expected, looks like I've got room for it afterall. Still going to rework my partition to 100 gigs next week though.

I grabbed Overlord and King Arthur too.lol

Great minds and all that.

Marc :D said:
Bought the witcher on sale and I'm 16 hours in. Excellent title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm super pissed about ME2! It didn't show as $9.99 in my region.

RAGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ME2 is still $8 on Gamersgate, at least here in the US. I've never gifted anything on Gamersgate, so I don't know if you can use gifts to get around region restrictions like you can with Steam. I'd be down to give it a shot if you want to paypal me $8 though.

John

Snuggler said:
then you open the computer and do it again! genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom