• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikespit1200 said:
Anyone know of a way to add small amounts to your steam wallet or another intermediary? I have a couple giftcards with $0.40 - $1 on them and I'd like to pick up The Witcher.

No, I don't think you can.

1-D_FTW

You jerks are seriously tempting me into Darksiders. Just how CPU intensive is it? One of these weird games that only likes the latest Intel architecture, or would a Q9400 @ 3.2ghz run it locked at 60fps @ 1080p?

Diablohead said:
I'm tempted to buy it cheap just to play around and take screenshots, very pretty game.

I haven't installed my Wings of Prey copy yet, but that youtube video is pretty awesome beginning at around the 3 minute mark. Gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvk4vrbMDVM

Duki said:
are they literally already repeating deals wtf

Best deals of the week this Sunday

Best deals of next week next Sunday

Seems sensible to me, especially with new indie deals on those days. Scroll through the last few pages and you will find a lot of people happy to have another chance. If you HAVE to have a new deal just buy AI War.

1-D_FTW

echoshifting said:
Really? I've never had a problem with them.

They don't work if you're not logged in as online. And sometimes Steam just logs you out for no reason. Though I haven't had this issue for a while. Think I only have a couple Portal achievements because of that. Oh, well.

Batman: AA is without a doubt the last GFWL game I will ever make the mistake of purchasing. Three times in a row trying to launch the game only to have to shut it down to apply a GFWL update? And if I don't sign in to my LIVE profile, I can't even save the game?

Volcynika

echoshifting said:
Really? I've never had a problem with them.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/volcynika/stats/Darksiders

I'm missing about 5 or so now. Also, I was logged into Steam the entire time, with no connection issues. My brother has the same issue with his. Lots of people on the Steam forums complained about it as well. Some people even beat it on Apocalyptic and only got credit for Easy/Normal. Not a big deal as it isn't gamebreaking, but a bit annoying that something that's a part of Steamworks doesn't work. Doesn't seem to be a connection issue for anyone from what I've seen. And as far as I can tell, Vigil hasn't said much about the issues of the game since release. My brother has to run it outside of Steam because it freezes within two minutes if he doesn't.

Hixx

What the fuck has happened? I turned off the DA:O download while I watched the football (streamed it through Sky) and I've gone from 1.5meg download speeds to 50kb/s tops.

Download still has 7gig to go. Nice.

Hmmmm, you know come to think of it, I wonder if that's why I didn't get the PvZ achievement for seeing the yeti zombie. That still burns :(

I had completely forgotten about that.

kennah

HixxSAFC said:
What the fuck has happened? I turned off the DA:O download while I watched the football (streamed it through Sky) and I've gone from 1.5meg download speeds to 50kb/s tops.

Download still has 7gig to go. Nice.
You're probably lower in the queue/it's a more active time of day.

LCfiner

BarrenMind said:
Batman: AA is without a doubt the last GFWL game I will ever make the mistake of purchasing. Three times in a row trying to launch the game only to have to shut it down to apply a GFWL update? And if I don't sign in to my LIVE profile, I can't even save the game?

yeah, I picked up GTA IV during the summer sale and was shocked at how intrusive the GFWL integration was. Having to install so much shit just to play - and save(!) - the game was a real turnoff.

I'll be paying more attention to that in the future. the more hurdles a game puts in my way to playing, the less I want to play it.

sfried

Dammit, my PC can't "handle" Lara Croft & Gaurdian of Light (My AMD is only 2.1 GHz as opposed to the required 2.4)

And 7 Gigs? My god...

~Kinggi~

Banned
BarrenMind said:
I have to be hooked into the fucking internet to save?

what the fuck

Fortunately, the GFWL stuff in Arkham Asylum won't impact your gameplay experience beyond that obnoxious setup. Once I set all that stuff to auto-sign in, it never bothered me again.

GFWL needs to die, though. Drives me batshit insane in GTAIV.

Baha

If somebody can explain to me how to get a co-op game working in DR2, I'd be eternally grateful. Of my 3 friends who won the game, I can only connect to 1 of them. The other 2 give me "encountered an error". My 3 friends have beaten the game, they have the game allowed through a firewall and I can only connect to 1 of them.

So to recap:
1. I have played till I received the radio so I can join and invite people
2. DR2 is allowed through my firewall
3. GFWL is updated and matches the versions my friends have
4. I've tried joining games while in a game of my own and that didn't work

Ceebs

sfried said:
Dammit, my PC can't "handle" Lara Croft & Gaurdian of Light (My AMD is only 2.1 GHz as opposed to the required 2.4)

And 7 Gigs? My god...
Grab the demo to see how it runs.

~Kinggi~ said:
I have to be hooked into the fucking internet to save?

what the fuck
You could play the game with an offline profile. No GFWL achievements, but you can save the game offline.

Cheech

Sgt.Pepper said:
Just me or Steam is really slow right now? I'm downloading at 50 kb/sec.

It's been like this the whole sale.

I really hate to bitch because I love the deals, but they really need to do something about the bandwidth problem. Just lease some additional pipe/servers for the duration of the sale, FFS. I'm sitting here trying to download Dragon Age Origins at 64k. That puts me at about 36 hours.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ceebs said:
You could play the game with an offline profile. No GFWL achievements, but you can save the game offline.
Alright so at least there's that. That would be rediculous if there was no way to save if the internet was down.

SoulFist

I just bought Darksiders and Dead Rising 2. Long live STEAAAAAAAM! I'm hoping my PS2 USB controller will work with these. Last time I tried to play Batman AA the analog sticks were reversed.

biocat said:
I was just poking around D2D in case they had some good deals there

Y'all are so strung out on steam sales that one day without new ones and you're totally adrift. It's like watching a coke head snort a piece of cat litter off the floor just in case. :D

sfried

Decided not to get Guardian of Light. It's just not for my system and I wouldn't consider myself a PC enthusiast (a.k.a. having top-notch hardware to run Crysis). Settled for Meat Boy instead.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
evlcookie said:
Darksiders runs great here on my C2D and 4850 at 1920x1200. Glad i picked it up for $10.
It's like I'm the only C2D owner in the world who can't run this damn game well. :(

Ceebs

~Kinggi~ said:
Alright so at least there's that. That would be rediculous if there was no way to save if the internet was down.
I think it may still screw you by locking the saves to profiles. If you are not online you may not be able to load the save from your online profile.

Yeah, GFWL is a giant clusterfuck.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Easy_D said:
It's like I'm the only C2D owner in the world who can't run this damn game well. :(

Really? I don't think it's running at 60fps here but it's smooth enough for me not to care about. I should run fraps and see what it's actually running at.

Mine is a E7200 overclocked to 3.6ghz though :D

Insured

Can you still get Lara Croft cheaper if you already own a Tomb Raider game? I guess not since it's not mentioned anywhere this time?

Nabs

1-D_FTW said:
You jerks are seriously tempting me into Darksiders. Just how CPU intensive is it? One of these weird games that only likes the latest Intel architecture, or would a Q9400 @ 3.2ghz run it locked at 60fps @ 1080p?

you shouldn't have any trouble with it

Glix

So, I'm about 3 hours in, and I hafta say that Torchlight is just awesome!

Saving to the cloud and playing at work is DOPE! Game runs well on ANYTHING. I'm very happy with the purchase.

X3 on the other hand is being difficult. What a rough game to get into. I'm going to keep at it though, its so pretty!

Probably not that much of a deal (more of a convenience), but I finally grabbed the Unreal pack. Original Unreal, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament GOTY edition, UT2k4, UT3: Black Edition for $15.

Worth it for UT2k4 alone :D

Grabbed a few indie packs. Been a good holiday season of deals on Steam.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
evlcookie said:
Really? I don't think it's running at 60fps here but it's smooth enough for me not to care about. I should run fraps and see what it's actually running at.

Mine is a E7200 overclocked to 3.6ghz though :D
I don't mind it being sub 60, but it's sub 30. When you meet that first giant thing in the intro it goes down to 24, and that's before I start fighting it :lol.

For reference I have a E8500 running at stock (3.16).

I can run Dead Rising 2 better dammit :(.

TheExodu5

Banned
Easy_D said:
I don't mind it being sub 60, but it's sub 30. When you meet that first giant thing in the intro it goes down to 24, and that's before I start fighting it :lol.

For reference I have a E8500 running at stock (3.16).

I can run Dead Rising 2 better dammit :(.

You talking about Darksiders?

Doesn't run that amazingly. I have a Q8300 @ 3.0GHz and a GTX 275, and I get regular dips down to 30-40.

I know it's blasphemy here but I really wish The Witcher wasn't cancelled for consoles. I've been dying to play it but it just doesn't run as well as I like my RPG's to run. Ended up switching DA:O to console after trying unsuccessfully for over a year to play it smoothly on my computer. Some day I'll upgrade.

Gonna pick up SMB today and maaaybe Bad Company 2. Already have it on the PS3 but it's tempting to have mouse controls.

zoku88

kennah said:
Wow, anyone notice that Civ5 isn't on sale at all anymore? Not even 10% or anything.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't on sale before the daily sale. I bought it the day before it won't on the daily sale (for an xmas present for someone else... what crappy timing) and it was full price.

For anyone considering the Unreal pack: I know Steam is God and physical product is dead and everything and Gamestop is evil, but I picked up the Unreal Anthology (all Unreal games except UT3) at Gamestop for $5. Comes with a nice soundtrack CD too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom