• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoFuzz

So if I am gifted a copy of game that I already own on Steam, can I just forward the e-mail to a friend and they can click the e-mail link to redeem it? It's not showing up on my list of extra copies in Steam either.

LCfiner

This is what Steam Sales do to my limited bandwidth up in Canada.

I haven't even downloaded ME2 or Overlord or Red Faction: Guerilla. jeesh :(

96LqJ.png

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Edit: Sorry guys, the last copy is gone now.

Bought the Borderlands 4 pack despite not having a 4th person. This is $7.50 USD for the vanilla game. If anyone is interested just send me a PM.

pirata

GAF, tell me this: how does AssCreed 2 run on a laptop? According to Can You Run It?, my laptop has a "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz ," which meets the minimum, but not the recommendation. Should I still pick it up, or wait until a later sale when I'm able to build a PC?

LCfiner

pirata said:
GAF, tell me this: how does AssCreed 2 run on a laptop? According to Can You Run It?, my laptop has a "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz ," which meets the minimum, but not the recommendation. Should I still pick it up, or wait until a later sale when I'm able to build a PC?

GPU is important. what do you have?

MoFuzz

pirata said:
What's the GPU?

pirata said:

It's up to how much do you want to play it right now? Minimum requirements usually mean you can get about 15 to 20 fps on the lowest settings.

I would personally wait as the game is beautiful.

pirata said:
Probably like ass.

WEGGLES

I <3 Memes said:
The bottom one is the real total downloaded/total size.
Hmm, so it's not a matter of the downloaded files being compressed so I used 6GB bandwidth, but it takes up 10GB uncompressed or something?:{

rossonero

I'm trying to buy SMB but I'm getting an error message every time I press the purchase button. Could it be because I'm using a Swedish card while I'm currently in USA or is the store very busy right now?

rossonero said:
I'm trying to buy SMB but I'm getting an error message every time I press the purchase button. Could it be because I'm using a Swedish card while I'm currently in USA or is the store very busy right now?

Yes, that could be the problem. You can only buy games if your IP and the country of your bank/CC match. Send a ticket to support and tell them you are currently in the USA, but that your CC is registered in Sweden and you want to purchase goods but can't. They can lift restrictions. I don't know if you will be able to purchase games in the US store, you probably needs to visit the Swedish store ( http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=se ?). But support can help you out.

If support cant help you, you could ask someone here to gift you the game.

rossonero

OmegaDragon said:
Yes, that could be the problem. You can only buy games if your IP and the country of your bank/CC match. Send a ticket to support and tell them you are currently in the USA, but that your CC is registered in Sweden and you want to purchase goods but can't. They can lift restrictions. I don't know if you will be able to purchase games in the US store, you probably needs to visit the Swedish store ( http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=se ?). But support can help you out.

If support cant help you, you could ask someone here to gift you the game.

Thanks mate, just sent a ticket to support.

Of course I could ask a friend to gift me SMB, but there will probably come more games that I want to buy so asking someone everytime would be tedious :D

Yay, a second chance at Lara Croft! I also grabbed Darksiders and The Witcher, why the hell not. Now all I need is a replay of Recettear and I'll be done this year on Steam.

Hixx

The Dragon Age UO DLC-unlocks were a bit... messy but all done now.

The amount of content I just got for £12.50... kind of feels like a steal.

Bought 3 RPGs now: Alpha Protocol, Witcher and DA.

I don't have a job and I still don't have enough time :lol

I like how everyone in my friend list plays a game for like 5 minutes, then play again and finally change to another game. :lol

Goddammit Steam.

Forkball

Well I got Lara Croft today, so hooray for repeat sales. Just use today to actually play the games you bought. Oh, and I should probably install the games I bought yesterday...

~Kinggi~

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
The Dragon Age UO DLC-unlocks were a bit... messy but all done now.

The amount of content I just got for £12.50... kind of feels like a steal.

Bought 3 RPGs now: Alpha Protocol, Witcher and DA.

I don't have a job and I still don't have enough time :lol
what was messy aout the dlc unlocks?

Volcynika

thegriefer said:
are you sure that will work?

I did it. Worked fine! :p

You go to your "My Games Library" or something, and it'll have under it that the game has a product key. Input that key into Steam. Mafia II is Steamworks.

LM4sure

Banned
I'm glad they put up these games again. I got Bad Company 2 and Lara Croft. Played BC2 for about an hour. It's no CoD, but the multiplayer is fun. haven't played Lara Croft yet, but I'm looking forward to it. For some reason BC2 downloaded a lot quicker even though it's much larger. Go figure!

Volcynika said:
I did it. Worked fine! :p

You go to your "My Games Library" or something, and it'll have under it that the game has a product key. Input that key into Steam. Mafia II is Steamworks.
I LOVE YOU!!!! jk but thank you very much

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Only snatched up F.E.A.R. + expansions today. $2.50 is one hell of a deal for all that. I played FEAR on 360 on it's pretty badass, the gunplay is very satisfying.

amrod said:
they should buy more servers.. really slow sigh

It's kind of like the mall parking lots, 11 months out of the year they are empty and depressing, 1 month out of the year you have to fight people for a parking space. :lol

The Steam Holiday Sale is a period of unusual demand, it doesn't make sense for Valve to buy extra servers just for that short period of time.

Salsa

Snuggler said:
Only snatched up F.E.A.R. + expansions today. $2.50 is one hell of a deal for all that. I played FEAR on 360 on it's pretty badass, the gunplay is very satisfying.

Might get this tomorrow morning, dont really want FEAR 2 yet and its on sale on gamersgate pretty often (you can use the key on steam)

Blizzard

Banned
Just as I predicted, I had already bought all games worth buying. Nothing new for me this first week of the Christmas sale. Nothing at all...

Well, aside from:
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
  • LEGO Batman
  • Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
  • Day of Defeat: Source
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Overlord Complete Pack
  • King Arthur Pack
  • Tropico 3: Absolute Power
  • X3: Terran Conflict

Total cost: $47.45 USD
Average price per single purchase item (packs count as one item): $5.27

I also gifted:
  • Deus Ex Collection
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition (2 copies)
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
  • Windosill
  • Booster Trooper
  • Altitude
  • Tropico 3 Gold

Total cost gifted: $38.69 USD
Average price per single purchase item (packs count as one item): $4.84

Overall total spent: $86.14 USD

Looks like $5 per game is my perfect price point! If you do the math on the game packs it's an even better deal.

Unknown Soldier said:
The Steam Holiday Sale is a period of unusual demand, it doesn't make sense for Valve to buy extra servers just for that short period of time.
Perhaps, but with how many games they have been pushing and how they may be continuing to grow their customer base (sales, Civ V, whatever) one would hope they keep adding servers anyway. The total amount of bandwidth Steam servers push must be something OBSCENE.

Batman takes 9 hours to download ._.

And my brother got Starcraft II for Christmas, so I won't be able to get that much time on my computer until he goes back to school next tuesday.

Oh well, at least I have it, and at a great price.

Now... whether to invest in a controller or not, especially since I've hit a ceiling with Super Meat Boy, where keyboard controls just aren't good enough to do the harder levels.

amrod

Unknown Soldier said:
It's kind of like the mall parking lots, 11 months out of the year they are empty and depressing, 1 month out of the year you have to fight people for a parking space. :lol

lol ok rent some then for a month ;)

Firehead

Well, after finding that Saints Row 2 mod (thanks again, whomever posted it!)
I can finally run Saints Row 2 properly. And wow. This game is fun with a friend.
Also,
id5XGc.jpg

And I got Dead Rising 2! Add me on Steam (in profile) if you want to play Co-Op whenever. :)

balladofwindfishes said:
Batman takes 9 hours to download ._.

And my brother got Starcraft II for Christmas, so I won't be able to get that much time on my computer until he goes back to school next tuesday.

Oh well, at least I have it, and at a great price.

Now... whether to invest in a controller or not, especially since I've hit a ceiling with Super Meat Boy, where keyboard controls just aren't good enough to do the harder levels.

So you actually don't have a console?

Dice said:
Why am I so tempted to get Mass Effect 2?

Because it's a strong candidate for GOTY 2010? Because it's a great shooter/RPG hybrid? Because it's made by Bioware? Because you'll want to be ideally carrying over your Shepard from ME1 -> ME2 -> ME3 to see the ultimate consquences you made all the way back at the beginning of the story?

No reason at all, really. :lol

What are the chances Mirror's Edge will be one of the sales.

It's 25% off right now, but I'm not sure if I should wait and see if it goes lower, and just get it now. I'd really love to see it 75% off (5 dollars), but I'm just not sure it will get that low, since it's a fairly old, B tier game.

jediyoshi

Yikes, the RFG port is spotty as hell. Don't feel robbed at $5 though. Picked up the Secret of Monkey Island bundle and FlatOut UC yesterday as well. If they do another recap, hope they fit in DoD Source in there.

PatzCU

Is BFBC2 worth double dipping on? I have it on 360, but my PC could probably run it at max. Might pick up the FEAR complete pack as well.

derFeef

Darksiders is my best buy in this sale so far. Got Conviction yesterday after thinking it through a bit. I like it so far, PC port is quite good (excluding ubisoft DRM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom