• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn00zer

What big "oldish games" HAVE NOT gone on sale yet? (ie. Burnout, Batman)

Wanna spend only 10 more dollars, and Im REALLY itchin' to get Darksiders, but will pass on it if there are more big games coming down the line

YYZ

Drkirby said:
I think the files are compressed when you download them, so you had downloaded 6GB, which when uncompressed, turned into 10.6GB.
Compression works that well? Not that I've ever seen. I could be wrong though. Just saying that that's a huge compression rate.

YYZ

sn00zer said:

Wanna spend only 10 more dollars, and Im REALLY itchin' to get Darksiders, but will pass on it if there are more big games coming down the line
Mirror's Edge, TF2 (Orange Box in general), GTA4, Jade Empire, Killing Floor, King's Bounty, Max Payne series, STALKER series. That's all I can think of right now.

edit: whoops, sorry for the double post.

Salsa

Schmattakopf said:

oddish.gif

gblues

Banned
Christmas money didn't arrive in time for some of the deals I wanted, so hopefully there will be more repeats. But I managed to snag Lara Croft for $5.10. From the promos I wrote it off as a Diablo clone, but it's gotten a lot of positive reactions here and in the press so I'm giving it a shot.

pirata

LCfiner said:
GPU is important. what do you have?

Do you mean the graphics card? If so, then:

You Have: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9480)

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
You Have
Video RAM 3.2 GB
Hardware T&L Yes
Pixel Shader version 4.0
Vertex Shader version 4.0

EDIT: I think I might pass. It probably won't run well on my laptop, and God knows I have plenty of games to play. Maybe it'll be on sale for even cheaper whenever I have mine own PC.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
YYZ said:
Compression works that well? Not that I've ever seen. I could be wrong though. Just saying that that's a huge compression rate.
Depends on what is used, and what is in the files. Some things, like the 7zip compression, can notice identical sequences in files, and remove copies in the compressed form. Look what it does to a 7zip file full of Mega Man Clones and hacks.

rrhzls.jpg

jiien

YYZ said:
Mirror's Edge, TF2 (Orange Box in general), GTA4, Jade Empire, Killing Floor, King's Bounty, Max Payne series, STALKER series. That's all I can think of right now.

edit: whoops, sorry for the double post.

And Oblivion/Morrowind.

:(

Ohhh, I didn't even realize until I hit this thread that the indie deal of the day was not a repeat like all the main deals. I've been interested in AI War for a bit, but I was afraid to pick it up for a higher price as I'm not sure if I want it or not. $3 is a perfect price for me so I'm nabbing it.

sn00zer said:

Are you asking about burnout and batman or saying games like burnout and batman? Because those 2 were already on sale.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sn00zer said:

Daily sale or at all?

sturmdogg

Damage so far:

Fallout 3
X3

Gifted Overlord pack and Torchlight to my brother

Received Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 from my sister.

Missed out on Fallout: New Vegas and Dragon Age but no biggie :D

TheExodu5

Banned
sn00zer said:

Bloodlines...

sn00zer

YYZ said:
Mirror's Edge, TF2 (Orange Box in general), GTA4, Jade Empire, Killing Floor, King's Bounty, Max Payne series, STALKER series..
hmmm...not really interested in those (already have Stalker/MirrorEdge/Orange Box/Max Payne) missed out o the GTA franchise altogether but heard GTA4 needs some serious hardawre (currently have 2GB, 2.66 Duo, 8800)
maybe I will pick up Darksiders

EDIT: Shit Darksiders or RE5?
DBLEDIT: Does RE5 PC have local MP?

filipe

I can't believe I never gave Red Faction: Guerrilla a chance. I love the destruction in that game, and it handles really, really well. I don't see it holding my attention for hours in a roll, but it's definitely a good game that I'll try put some good time into.

So far for me though...

ARMA 2 (Pretty cool)
Battlefield 2
Monkey Island Pack (First time ever playing them, enjoying so far.)
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Super Meat Boy (looooove it)
Overlord Pack (Meh)

John

sn00zer said:
hmmm...not really interested in those (already have Stalker/MirrorEdge/Orange Box/Max Payne) missed out o the GTA franchise altogether but heard GTA4 needs some serious hardawre (currently have 2GB, 2.66 Duo, 8800)
maybe I will pick up Darksiders

EDIT: Shit Darksiders or RE5?
DBLEDIT: Does RE5 PC have local MP?
definitely darksiders; i don't think re5 pc has local co-op (though that's unrelated to my opinion)

hamchan

shintoki said:
Kind of amazed how people seem to idiotically hold out for that to be on sale, or else they won't purchase it. :lol
I have a huge backlog so I am willing to wait for it to be on sale. I buy most of my games on sale or discounted and I save quite a bit of money, if that's idiotic then so be it.

-Eddman-

Just bought Darksiders and Lara Croft (the isometric one). Are these fine with mouse and keyboard? Are they better with a controller? Anyway, I spend just $15 on them. Steam is my new god :D

-Eddman- said:
Just bought Darksiders and Lara Croft (the isometric one). Are these fine with mouse and keyboard? Are they better with a controller? Anyway, I spend just $15 on them. Steam is my new god :D
Lara Croft is probably better off with a controller just for movement. That was the vibe I got from the demo at least. Still totally playable, but it'd probably be smoother with a controller.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It works really well with WASD and a mouse.

I'd assume Darksiders would be fine, too.

teiresias

Ceebs said:
And they are terrible because of it.

It's the only game in my Wishlist that doesn't have ANY DISCOUNT WHATSOEVER from its normal Steam price - screw it. I want to play it, but it doesn't deserve to be bought during the Steam Holiday Sale if it's not actually, you know, ON SALE!!

I still say the pricing is still part of Valve's ongoing sabotaging of that game since it beat Half-Life 2 out as the first Source game to come to market.

I jest

well . . .
about the last part anyway, the first part about the sale price stands

Majeh

-Eddman- said:

You get much higher accuracy in the platforming in Lara Croft with the controller, not to say it's not playable with kb+m.

WEGGLES

Drkirby said:
I think the files are compressed when you download them, so you had downloaded 6GB, which when uncompressed, turned into 10.6GB.
Oh awesome.

It's showing ~10GB downloaded but 16 of dragon age downloaded. I hope you're right. $2/GB overage charge means I may end up not saving at all. :lol

mm04

Hoping for NBA 2k11 for < $15 and Mirror's Edge for 5 or less. I don't want to buy FEAR, but is FEAR 2 worth 5 bucks?

WEGGLES said:
Oh awesome.

It's showing ~10GB downloaded but 16 of dragon age downloaded. I hope you're right. $2/GB overage charge means I may end up not saving at all. :lol

Pause the download until your next monthly period...

WEGGLES

wormstrangler said:
Mine ends the 17th or something odd like that. So this download won't put me over, but regular usage for the rest of this period will.

wormstrangler said:
Ba-dum chhhhh!

Honestly though, I thought it was just an error with the Steam client's programming the first time I saw that, but compressed files means conserving bandwidth on their end too, so that's the most likely answer.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Decided to buy BC2. It's been my favorite shooter series on console this gen(put in 100+ to each), and easily my favorite BF since 1942. So why the hell not.

I really don't know if I should skip Darksiders...The game sounds great and all, but I only have $15 left in paypal account, and if I buy it I will decrease my chances to buy other great games.

Worth the $10 if I only have 15? Can't decide.

Just got Super meat boy for this sale.

I also played Defense Grid at work and it is amazing. The music is great, the enemies are boss and the gameplay is not too hard and rewarding. This might have been one of the best deals in this steam holiday.

wow

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sgt.Pepper said:
I really don't know if I should skip Darksiders...The game sounds great and all, but I only have $15 left in paypal account, and if I buy it I will decrease my chances to buy other great games.

Worth the $10 if I only have 15? Can't decide.
It's a THQ title, It will eventually be cheaper and thrown into their megapack. I'd say save it for something else.

BiggNife

Antiochus said:
To Denizens of Steam,

Is Modern Warfare 2 a worthwhile experience for $30?

A prompt reply will be very appreciated
If you liked other CODs and plan to play a decent amount of the MP, then yes.

If you only want it for the single player campaign, then hell no.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
EvaPlusMinus said:
Darksiders any good? Tempted to grab it.

Is it like DMC or something?

Its arguably the best Zelda since Wind Waker.

With some God of War-ish combat thrown in. While you play as one of the four horsemen

Buy it now

Antiochus said:
To Denizens of Steam,

Is Modern Warfare 2 a worthwhile experience for $30?

A prompt reply will be very appreciated
I would say no and just get BFBC2. But I am not a fan of Call of Duty or spending more than 20 USD on games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom