• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Antiochus said:
To Denizens of Steam,

Is Modern Warfare 2 a worthwhile experience for $30?

A prompt reply will be very appreciated

Absolutely not. Single Player might as well be an on rails shooting gallery, while MP is atrociously balanced. Not to mention it is a port that takes absolutely no advantage of being on PC.

I'd say go with BC2 if you are looking for a shooter, or wait. I'm sure there will be more sales on L4D2 or TF2 coming up. All this is void of course, if you really do love the COD franchise in general. If it is just a mild interest, pass on it without a second doubt.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Darksiders any good? Tempted to grab it.

Is it like DMC or something?
If you have the cash, You can't really go wrong with it. I played it when it came out and was fully satisfied with it. Everything about it was enjoyable to me. Puzzles and platforming were strong, combat while a bit shallow was fresh all the way through. Even enjoyed the story.

But as I said, it's a THQ game. There is no reason to ever rush on buying their stuff. They are probably the best at the Steam Sale from the major publishers :lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I want Mass Effect 2, but I don't. I'm pretty sure I'd just like to watch someone else play it. Oh, this is frustrating.

Dice said:
I want Mass Effect 2, but I don't. I'm pretty sure I'd just like to watch someone else play it. Oh, this is frustrating.
Same here. Really tempted to play ME2 on PC after beating it on X360 earlier this year. Buuut on the other hand I don't really want to get into it.

Hoping for $5 Dead space.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
EvaPlusMinus said:
Darksiders any good? Tempted to grab it.

Is it like DMC or something?

Think of something similar to zelda, with combat a bit like god of war, in a world created by a comic book artist. It is absolutely one of my favorites this year and the kick up in image quality and framerate for the PC version goes a long way.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
My Purchases So Far (With HB1 And HB2)
Aquaria
Battlefield 2 Complete Collection
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Beat Hazard
BIT.TRIP.BEAT
Braid
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Chime
Deus Ex: Game Of The Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
F.E.A.R. Complete Collection
Gish
Lugaru HD
Machinarium
Mass Effect 2
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Osmos
Penumbra: Overture
Rhythm Zone
Super Meat Boy
Torchlight
Turba
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Uplink (Thanks, Jibril. ^_^)
World of Goo

Joe Molotov

shintoki said:
Kind of amazed how people seem to idiotically hold out for that to be on sale, or else they won't purchase it. :lol

My friend who's not even a PC gamer (unless you count WoW) but loves vampires....well mainly lesbian vampires...bought it for full price a few weeks ago and he loved it. He played it twice once he found out there was a skin you could download to play the game as Jeanette. :lol

Schmattakopf said:
I would say no and just get BFBC2. But I am not a fan of Call of Duty or spending more than 20 USD on games.

guybrushandelaine.JPG

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game"

edit: I was kind of disappointed by the price for the original Mass Effect. :( I've played and beaten the game several times on 360, but I definitely would have double dipped for the massively better performance on PC if it cost $5 or less.

ZZMitch

_tetsuo_ said:
Think of something similar to zelda, with combat a bit like god of war, in a world created by a comic book artist. It is absolutely one of my favorites this year and the kick up in image quality and framerate for the PC version goes a long way.

Yeah it does, game looks a plays great. Very pleased with it so far.

Haeleos

Ugh, I picked up Hitman Blood Money, knowing full well I should wait for the inevitable daily sale on it... Writing this so I may be shamed into self control by strangers.

Joe Molotov

Haeleos said:
Ugh, I picked up Hitman Blood Money, knowing full well I should wait for the inevitable daily sale on it... Writing this so I may be shamed into self control by strangers.

It's only 5 bucks, man. Don't sweat the small stuff. :lol

Ledsen

LCfiner said:
This is what Steam Sales do to my limited bandwidth up in Canada.

I haven't even downloaded ME2 or Overlord or Red Faction: Guerilla. jeesh :(

96LqJ.png

Wow, I can't imagine how much that must suck :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Joe Molotov said:
My friend who's not even a PC gamer (unless you count WoW) but loves vampires....well mainly lesbian vampires...bought it for full price a few weeks ago and he loved it. He played it twice once he found out there was a skin you could download to play the game as Jeanette. :lol
It's a fantastic game. Troika had one hell of a swan song with it. Easily worth the 20$, and more. I mean if it's that one title you really want to play, buy it. No reason at all to wait on a sale. You'll get dozens of hours out of it.

Again though, same as I always say. No reason to rush either. It's never going be more than 20$, and if you have plenty on the plate as it is. It's not going to go anywhere. No different than people who are learning this gen that day 1 is overrated horseshit, compared to day 90 50% off Steam Sale :O Or day 300+ where everything is down to 10$ or under.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ColonelColon said:
guybrushandelaine.JPG

"Never pay more than 20 dollars on a computer game"

edit: I was kind of disappointed by the price for the original Mass Effect. :( I've played and beaten the game several times on 360, but I definitely would have double dipped for the massively better performance on PC if it cost $5 or less.
Likely what they are trying to do is get as many people willing to pay $10 to do so, and in a few months it will be $5 for the first again.

I want the ID pack on sale, I don't wanna pay $10 for Quake :/

LiK

got Super Meat Boy again, i already have the 360 ver. too damn cheap to pass up. now i can play the PC exclusive dudes too.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Joe Molotov said:
Activision :-\

I mean, I'd like to have Singularity or the Call of Duty War Chest, but oh no.
But you can actually buy MW2 for 30$ now! 50% off!!!

Or buy the current 11th best seller, Black Ops

Joe Molotov

shintoki said:
But you can actually buy MW2 for 30$ now! 50% off!!!

Or buy the current 11th best seller, Black Ops.

Yes I know, we should feel blessed that Saint Kotick is allowing us the chance to touch his hem of his robe and be healed of our unhealthy love for affordable video games.

Bought Red Orchestra on a whim today since it's only $5, and wow! It's a pretty awesome WWII game. It's much more of a sim than your typical shooter, but reminiscent of BF on some maps with vehicles and such. Recommended!

LiK

scorpian007 said:
Steam has not only raped my wallet but also my download quota :lol

http://i53.tinypic.com/4pte2d.jpg[/QUOTE]

hah, at least you got plenty of games to play before they reset it

LQX

shintoki said:
Absolutely not. Single Player might as well be an on rails shooting gallery, while MP is atrociously balanced. Not to mention it is a port that takes absolutely no advantage of being on PC.

I'd say go with BC2 if you are looking for a shooter, or wait. I'm sure there will be more sales on L4D2 or TF2 coming up. All this is void of course, if you really do love the COD franchise in general. If it is just a mild interest, pass on it without a second doubt.

If you have the cash, You can't really go wrong with it. I played it when it came out and was fully satisfied with it. Everything about it was enjoyable to me. Puzzles and platforming were strong, combat while a bit shallow was fresh all the way through. Even enjoyed the story.

But as I said, it's a THQ game. There is no reason to ever rush on buying their stuff. They are probably the best at the Steam Sale from the major publishers :lol
Come on at least give sound advise without bias. You can knock MW2 for a lot of things but not visuals when it comes to the PC version. Maxed out it looks 10X better than the console version and runs extremely smooth.

Antiochus MW2 is a definitely worth $30 but with the recent release of Black Ops I would say probably hold out until you can get it for $20 or until Steam runs another deal on a COD pack.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
scorpian007 said:
Steam has not only raped my wallet but also my download quota :lol

4pte2d.jpg
I wish I had a Terabyte bandwidth cap, but I don't think Comcast has noticed I already past theirs this month.

Yeef

I don't have a bandwidth cap, but even so I only download games when I'm planning on playing them in the near future (within the next week or so). Everything else I leave uninstalled. I also uninstall games when I finish them if I don't see myself playing them anytime soon. It seems like a waste of space and bandwidth to do otherwise.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
scorpian007 said:
I don't think I'll ever buy a PC game at retail again, I always end up double dipping on Steam when sales come on
I am still hoping Square put's those Taito Packs on Steam, I would buy them in a heart beat
When they went on sale for $5

I'm weak. Bit on Witcher and FEAR 2+DLC. Only $12 but still.

I didn't get the entire FEAR pack because I still have my boxed copy of 1 and Extraction Point that I never finished and I refuse to double dip like that. I have principles. :D

This is my Steam backlog right now:

*Arma2 - not thinking about beating it, but I should give it 4-5 hours at least to justify the purchase.
*Bob Came in Pieces
*Fallout: New Vegas - 20+ hours played so far.
*Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
*Sid Meier's Railroads - should give it at least a couple of hours of gameplay.
*Super Meat Boy
*The Witcher
*Thief: Deadly Shadows and Deus Ex - bought for nothing so that I at least can give them a spin.

So why am I still looking for more purchases? I don´t want more games in the backlog, and I don´t need them.

The only further purchase I really can justify would be Europa Universalis III, as the closest thing I have to it is Civ 5.

I held off on SMB during the first day in hope of the "potato pack" but am doubting it's existence since no other packs like that have been part of a daily deal. If I purchase SMB as a gift is there any reason I can't claim that gift for my own account later on?

Any rumoring regarding the potato pack?

I'm also on the fence regarding FEAR. I don't play a lot of shooters but have heard good things about it. Are the horror elements enough to carry the game or am I going to get bored running through hallways shooting zombie-ghost-marines? Are both games worth the purchase or should I only get the first; I'm trying to limit myself.

Luthos

Haeleos said:
Haha, I'm having a hard time waiting for Crysis/Warhead to go on a daily sale. Those were the main games I wanted to get during this whole thing. Hopefully they'll go cheaper, else I'ma have to nab it for $30 before the sale ends.

-Winnie-

I keep getting "an internal error initialising your transaction" when I try to pay. :(

I was trying to get ME2 from the US store (I'm in Aus) using some workarounds, but had no luck. Can't even buy anything normally now. Is my account borked or something?

deleted

Since most of the steam talk happens here, I'll post this here too:

I think a have a problem...

I can't buy anything via paypal or my credit card right now and Commandos 2 is missing. I didn't want to play it, buy I saw it in the wrong category during the holidays, so I changed it. Now its completly gone. Its one of those games I cannot buy in my region (germany), so I don't know if contacting Steam-Support about it would change anything.

Did anyone have a simliar experience and has some advice?

Javaman

Luthos said:
Haha, I'm having a hard time waiting for Crysis/Warhead to go on a daily sale. Those were the main games I wanted to get during this whole thing. Hopefully they'll go cheaper, else I'ma have to nab it for $30 before the sale ends.
IIRC they had it for cheap during the lasr holiday sale. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. (Unless there was a weekly or weekend deal on it since.)

Luthos

Javaman said:
IIRC they had it for cheap during the lasr holiday sale. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. (Unless there was a weekly or weekend deal on it since.)
Yea that's what I heard. Hopefully they repeat it this year.

deleted

xyla said:
Since most of the steam talk happens here, I'll post this here too:

I think a have a problem...

I can't buy anything via paypal or my credit card right now and Commandos 2 is missing. I didn't want to play it, buy I saw it in the wrong category during the holidays, so I changed it. Now its completly gone. Its one of those games I cannot buy in my region (germany), so I don't know if contacting Steam-Support about it would change anything.

Did anyone have a simliar experience and has some advice?

Selfquote for new page, does anyone has some advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom