• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proc

I'm thinking of grabbing:

1) dead rising 2: I don't see it getting much cheaper than $20; if its $10 next year, boy will I have egg on my face
2) darksiders: this seems like a good time to jump on this, pluse the inclusion of steam chievos is a bonus
3) mass effect: I only played it once all the way through on 360 through its critical path, I still own it for 360 but I'd rather play the series to completion on PC. I own the retail ME2 for PC and would have double dipped at $10 if it had the dlc included. Plus my girlfriend and I are way into Starwar (original trilogy) and I may get her to see if she likes watching me play it.

Chris R

Temped on Darksiders, but I'll just wait it out for it to be on sale in 6/12 months :lol Just Cause 2 is my stellar purchase of this sale so far, with SMB coming in second.

WEGGLES

Proc said:
I'm thinking of grabbing:

1) dead rising 2: I don't see it getting much cheaper than $20; if its $10 next year, boy will I have egg on my face
2) darksiders: this seems like a good time to jump on this, pluse the inclusion of steam chievos is a bonus
3) mass effect: I only played it once all the way through on 360 through its critical path, I still own it for 360 but I'd rather play the series to completion on PC. I own the retail ME2 for PC and would have double dipped at $10 if it had the dlc included. Plus my girlfriend and I are way into Starwar (original trilogy) and I may get her to see if she likes watching me play it.
If you found the first Dead Rising enjoyable, you'll like #2.
If you found the little things with it annoying, you won't like it. There aren't too many improvements to it.

deleted

wmat said:

Sure I could do that, but I don't want to buy the game for the third time (DVD on release and Steam), especially when something like this shouldn't happen.
Now its an older/cheap game, but it also could have been AvP or Bully (also not available in my region, also bought via Gaf-gifting).

I suppose there isn't a trick that can fix this problem like deleting the clientregistry.blob or something, so I'll just contact the support...

Proc

WEGGLES said:
If you found the first Dead Rising enjoyable, you'll like #2.
If you found the little things with it annoying, you won't like it. There aren't too many improvements to it.

Hmm...my original dead rising is still unfinished. I think I will just continue to play that and buy DR2 when complete.

I'll gift my brother a copy of bad company 2 instead.

BiggNife

Luthos said:
Haha, I'm having a hard time waiting for Crysis/Warhead to go on a daily sale. Those were the main games I wanted to get during this whole thing. Hopefully they'll go cheaper, else I'ma have to nab it for $30 before the sale ends.
The Crysis games have been daily deals during earlier sales (in fact I think it was included in last year's Christmas sale), so I'd be willing to bet they're going to do it again. I'd definitely wait it out.

scorpian007 said:
Using Steam Calculator on my account isn't pretty :lol
Why are you even using Steam calculator? If I click my username in Steam it shows the date and exact price I paid for all my purchases. Perhaps this doesn't work for some people or they just don't know about it? To my understanding Steam calculator is often way out due to sale prices.

It's a quick way of checking how much it would have all cost if the games were at full price. Can usually guess how much it costs in real dollars.

Petrie

Banned
So here's my tally thus far:

Altitude - 2 copies
CivCity: Rome
Commandos Pack
DoD: Source
Defense Grid - 2 copies
Deus Ex Pack
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
Flight Control HD
King Arthur
Left 4 Dead 2
PB Winterbottom - 5 copies
Monkey Island pack
Overlord Pack - 2 copies
Puzzle Quest - 2 copies
Recettear
Shattered Union - 2 copies
Super Meat Boy
Totan Quest Pack - 2 copies
Trials 2
Tropico Pack
The Witcher

This isn't even counting the treasure hunt. At first I felt enlightened by these cheap PC games and saving money, but I'm starting to think it isn't saving me a damn thing...

Proc

I'm just diving into my copy of KOTOR that I bought for under $5 a while back.

I applied the widescreen patch and it looks absolutely stunning at 1080p. Its hard to believe this is a 7+ year old game. I'm looking forward to delving deeper into this one.

Minsc

Gold Member
hamchan said:
I have a huge backlog so I am willing to wait for it to be on sale. I buy most of my games on sale or discounted and I save quite a bit of money, if that's idiotic then so be it.

It has a pretty good chance of being in the top 5 or even top 3 RPGs you've ever played. Skipping out on it indefinitely and never playing it if you like RPGs is a poor idea, given it is available for so cheap.

I'm not saying you should buy it (maybe you don't even care much for RPGs, then it makes sense to ignore it to some extent), just pointing out to anyone that enjoys RPGs, particularly ones that step off the beaten path a bit, you could be indefinitely skipping over one of the best games you'll play over $10 on a $20 asking price!

YYZ said:
Compression works that well? Not that I've ever seen. I could be wrong though. Just saying that that's a huge compression rate.

Yup, DA:O in particular, my copy compresses close to 50% using Steam's built in backup compression, which probably isn't nearly as good as 7-zip/winrar.

jediyoshi

After another round of check out stare down, I went ahead and bought Wings of Prey ($5.99). A little bummed about the DLC, it's sale price is still above the price of the game ($7.49).

IceMarker

__STEAM HOLIDAY SALE HALFTIME REPORT__

My wallet gave in to:
-Super Meat Boy
-The Witcher
-Just Cause 2
-Mass Effect
-Mass Effect 2

And I intend to spend more.
:D

fresquito

Halfway sale:

The Witcher
Trials 2
Batman
Super Meat Boy
Lara Croft (a friend gifted it to me)

I don't plan on getting any other game. Maybe some indie game for super, super cheap.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Yes, there's an option to force DX9, I'm not sure what it is though, since I'm playing on XP. My only concern would be the 2gig of RAM, because of the higher overhead in Win7, but it shouldn't make a huge difference. The game doesn't require a powerhouse to run. There are various graphics options you can turn down too.

Stallion Free said:
-nod3d10 IIRC.

Got around to downloading Red Faction: Guerilla. Seems to be running well, thanks guys!

kennah

Since this sale has started I started playing a few of the games I bought last year and never touched. Thanks a lot steam!

So here I am again with my Pentium 4 3.2Ghz and Radeon X850...this time I got Witcher in my basket. Somehow I managed to persuade myself not to buy it last week.

I know my rig fulfills the minimum requirements, I played the demo many moons ago and AFAIR it didn't play too badly...but if anybody played through it with a similar PC, I'd be delighted to hear their impressions.

Artofwar420 said:
About to nab Dead Rising 2 for $20, yay or nay? It seems to me that it won't go an lower, at least not soon.

Definitely recommended from me. Great PC port as well (heck, its the only version without game crippling technical issues) sans slightly dodgy wireless controller support (Which can be fixed).

Disable depth of field, it'll cripple your framerate and looks like crap anyway. You'll still get the effect in cutscenes anyway.

Massa

Do I need to de-activate Steam from an older computer before installing it in a different one?

Currently I'm actually using it on two systems already, my Mac OS X partition on my Mac and on a different PC with Windows. The PC is a piece of crap that shuts off from overheating so I'm going to try installing it on Windows on the Mac.

Massa said:
Do I need to de-activate Steam from an older computer before installing it in a different one?

Currently I'm actually using it on two systems already, my Mac OS X partition on my Mac and on a different PC with Windows. The PC is a piece of crap that shuts off from overheating so I'm going to try installing it on Windows on the Mac.

You can have Steam on as many systems as you like.

Only one can be online at a time but you can just set the rest to offline mode and you'll be able to play your downloaded games just fine.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So far I've been very frugal up to halftime:
BFBC2
Alpha Protocol

I'm not sure what I'm waiting on deals for, I'll know when I see it.

Double

Bufbaf said:
Just traded in my TR Anniversary from GMG for 10 bucks and able to buy Blood Bowl Legendary for another 10.

GODDAMNIT YES :D
Dont forget who made it possible for you :D

So anyone from the US wants to host a vanilla Borderlands 4-pack but doesnt need the 3 other copies?^^

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Haeleos said:
Ugh, I picked up Hitman Blood Money, knowing full well I should wait for the inevitable daily sale on it... Writing this so I may be shamed into self control by strangers.

Blood Money for 5 bucks is a steal, everyone should bite at that price. Don't feel feel bad for not waiting.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Drkirby said:
I wish I had a Terabyte bandwidth cap, but I don't think Comcast has noticed I already past theirs this month.
I'm with Comcast as well. I read their explanation and it said they only give a warning call to the top consumers, and they look at the last 3 months. So I think I'm safe, even with all that HD Korean TV I've been watching. 250GB is really too low.

Kuugrr

Halftime Damage Total:

Just Cause 2
The Witcher
Darksiders
Batman: AA
Mass Effect
Super Meat Boy
P.B. Winterbottom
Recettear

Not bad. Still holding out for a daily sale on Oblivion GOTY and hoping for a price drop of some kind on Singularity.

Massa

brain_stew said:
You can have Steam on as many systems as you like.

Only one can be online at a time but you can just set the rest to offline mode and you'll be able to play your downloaded games just fine.

Thank you very much, going to install it right away.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
what is sale today?

I'm probaby not gonna get anything unless it's a really good one for like $5 or less. I have sooooo much to play and I'm just making it worse by falling for these deals.

Leonsito

Snuggler said:
what is sale today?

I'm probaby not gonna get anything unless it's a really good one for like $5 or less. I have sooooo much to play and I'm just making it worse by falling for these deals.

Nothing from Activision.

Dice said:
I'm with Comcast as well. I read their explanation and it said they only give a warning call to the top consumers, and they look at the last 3 months. So I think I'm safe, even with all that HD Korean TV I've been watching. 250GB is really too low.

As a UK resident using British Telecom as my ISP (their Basic Broadband package) I have a monthly download allowance of 10GB. TEN. Per MONTH.

Fortunately I'm allowed to download games overnight at work onto the copy of Steam I have installed on my office laptop, and then use the backup / restore facility to get them home onto my HTPC via a USB key. My PSN purchases already consume a big chunk of my pitiful allowance without having to then download 20GB PC games :lol

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
rasberryjam said:
Loving this sale and I even got Burnout off of EA for free!

Does anyone know if I can activate it on steam?
It worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom