• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Probably. I am not so sure. I myself haven't played it for more than an hour. But it does launch from steam, and it shows up in your game library and everything.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I swallowed my superior PC gamer pride and proceeded with playing Darksiders without giving two shits about the framerate.

Something weird happened though, graphics spazzed out and became corrupted as fuck, then the game crashed. Is this a regular issue with the game? I read you can get corrupted graphics and that the game can crash if you alt tab so I'm thinking this is exactly what happened, since I do alt tab..a lot :lol.

On the bright side, played some AC2 and noticed the framerate is much improved, stays at around 31 frames in large crowds now :D. Used to dip to 22. It still dips when you're on the move but that's nothing defragmenting won't solve :D

jediyoshi

Veidt said:
Probably. I am not so sure. I myself haven't played it for more than an hour. But it does launch from steam, and it shows up in your game library and everything.

You likely just added it through 'Add a Non-Steam Game' which is essentially just a shortcut

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Dice said:
WTF 10GB? Are they trying to kill the internet?
I had to struggle for years with 12GB and then 25GB. Large downloads like demos had to be planned and I was constantly watching the usage meter on my ISP's website to manage my usage. Luckily the internet plans from all ISP's in Australia have seen a miraculous improvement this year and I now I get 200GB for the same price I was paying back then.

I remember seeing someone mention their ~20GB limit on GAF one time and the response was "WTF, that isn't even enough to download the demos that come out on XBL!!".:lol

I think I service like Netflix streaming would have trouble taking off in quite a few countries other than the US simply because of the data that it requires.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I've only recently joined steam as you can tell by now.:lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
matthsv said:
I had to struggle for years with 12GB and then 25GB. Large downloads like demos had to be planned and I was constantly watching the usage meter on my ISP's website to manage my usage. Luckily the internet plans from all ISP's in Australia have seen a miraculous improvement this year and I now I get 200GB for the same price I was paying back then.

I remember seeing someone mention their ~20GB limit on GAF one time and the response was "WTF, that isn't even enough to download the demos that come out on XBL!!".:lol

I think I service like Netflix streaming would have trouble taking off in quite a few countries other than the US simply because of the data that it requires.
I feel bad for all you people with inferior internet and bandwidth caps.
From what I know here in Sweden only mobile internet has bandwidth caps. I could be wrong but I have never heard of anyone complaining about reaching their monthly limit.

derFeef

Struggling with myself if I should get AC2. My backlog is too big and I know it would end up as a game I play for 3 hours and that´s it.

Double D

Finally started playing Mass Effect 2 last night. At least I'm actually playing these games I'm buying. I know this may sound horrifying to you PC brethren, but is there any way to get my 360 controller to work with it? Even if I could just use it for conversations and non-combat traversal.

Bii

derFeef said:
Struggling with myself if I should get AC2. My backlog is too big and I know it would end up as a game I play for 3 hours and that´s it.

I think you just answered your own question. Don't buy it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
derFeef said:
If you are at all like me, you won't stop at 3 hours. You will find yourself up at 4 in the morning wondering where all that time went.

Cryect

derFeef said:

It is way better than the first one (at least on the 360). I could barely bring myself to finally finish AC1 about a month ago but was pretty hooked on the second one only really stopping when there would be some silly platforming I didn't want to deal with.

3rdman

Vik_Vaughn said:
Finally started playing Mass Effect 2 last night. At least I'm actually playing these games I'm buying. I know this may sound horrifying to you PC brethren, but is there any way to get my 360 controller to work with it? Even if I could just use it for conversations and non-combat traversal.
You'll have to use XPadder...google it and search for the last free version that is floating around out there. The latest version is pay only...

Edit: Speaking of AC2...although the game supports the 360 pad, the default layout is pretty whacked. Does anyone have a recommended layout for the PC version?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Vik_Vaughn said:

You could use a program like xpadder and map the keys you wanted mapped for scrolling the conversation wheel. Some people still ask things like "ZOMG why wud u want use controller for pc game noob lulz?!" but don't be discouraged. If there weren't people who wanted to play pc games with controllers then there wouldn't be things like xpadder or motion joy. I love it when games like Batman:AA support it natively but i also don't mind figuring out a way to make games playable with a controller by mapping all the keys.

Benedict

My half-time report:

Lara Croft $5.10. Gifted through NeoGAF
Winterbottom 0,39 EUR
Super Meat Boy 3,50 EUR
Mass Effect 2 $9.99, Gifted through NeoGAF
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, $3.50, Gifted through NeoGAF
Wings of Prey 5,00 EUR
King Arthur Pack 4,94 EUR
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (ROW) 1,90 EUR
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition 19,99 EUR

Earlier buys in November-December during the contest:
Zombie Driver 2,25 EUR
Amnesia: The Dark Descent 7,49 EUR
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! 2,25 EUR
Poker Night 2,39 EUR
Chime 1,00 EUR
Rush 4,04 EUR
Indie Air Pack 4,49 EUR
Indie Puzzle Pack 4,49 EUR
Mount and Blade: Warband $ Gifted through NeoGAF
Puzzle Quest 2 $ Gifted ($3.50) through NeoGAF
Machinarium 4,25 EUR
Edit:
Bought these just now:
FEAR 2: Project Origin (EU) 4,99 EUR
F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn DLC 1,99 EUR

Also bought the Humble Bundle 2 (+1) for $8. Even though I already owned about 3/5 of the games. Bought it mostly for Aquaria

Still on the lookout for daily deals on:

Mafia 2
VVVVVVV
Defcon
Oblivion GOTY

3rdman said:
Edit: Speaking of AC2...although the game supports the 360 pad, the default layout is pretty whacked. Does anyone have a recommended layout for the PC version?
That's the point, it doesn't support the 360 pad. Supposedly ubisoft games only recognize microsoft wired 360 controllers and for every other one you need to use x360ce.

classicdms

Neo Member
My halftime report, including thanksgiving shenanigans:

Dec 25, 2010 $12.49
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY, Red Faction Guerrilla

Dec 24, 2010 $3.98
Windosill, VVVVVV

Dec 22, 2010 $3.75
Bully: Scholarship Edition

Dec 22, 2010 Free
Put 20 down on the HIB2.
Humble Indie Bundle

Dec 21, 2010 $4.99
Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Dec 21, 2010 $20.09
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, Bioshock 2, Lara Croft GOL

Dec 20, 2010 Free
Bought one of their holiday packs. Still have an extra key if someone wants it for 18. PM me.
Natural Selection 2 Beta

Dec 20, 2010 Free
Humble Indie Bundle 2 - Retail

Dec 20, 2010 $22.48
OddBoxx, FEAR Complete Pack (NA)

Dec 19, 2010 $2.49
Flight Control HD

Dec 18, 2010 $13.49
Monday Night Combat

Dec 16, 2010 $9.99
Metro 2033 All Languages

Dec 15, 2010 $7.49
Just Cause 2

Dec 6, 2010 $1.25
Chime

Nov 24, 2010 $12.49
Indie Energy Pack, Alpha Protocol

Benedict

Snuggler said:
VVVVVV isn't technically a daily deal, but it's still reduced to $2.50 right now which is so worth it.

Maybe it's not available in your region, but Mafia 2 is still $12.50 on Amazon and it gives you a code that activates it in Steam.

^ oh just noticed you're EU, sorry for the useless info

Yes.
I was tempted to get somebody in the US to buy me the game from Amazon.com but never did it.
Glad I never followed through, now that I've read it seemed to be a lot of problems getting the code to work outside of USA:

noire

Unconfirmed Member
So far:

Valve Collection
Humble Indie Bundles 1&2
Civ IV Complete
Super Meat Boy
VVVVV
Torchlight
PB Winterbottom

Plus The Monkey Island pack and 2nd copies of Civ IV and Torchlight for my wife.

UrbanRats

Benedict said:
Yes.
I was tempted to get somebody in the US to buy me the game from Amazon.com but never did it.
Glad I never followed through, now that I've read it seemed to be a lot of problems getting the code to work outside of USA:
Yep, i'm from EU too, and to get that Mafia2, i:

1) bought it myself off Amazon, with a fake US billing address attached to my usual credit card.

2) used the code on steam, with GoTrusted activated, to pass the region locking.

3) downloaded the game normally (even with GoTrusted off).

Gotrusted have a 7 day free trial (they charge you like, 1c on paypal to check) but you have to remember to manually decline the contract before the 7 days ends (yeah, like The Ring) or else they charge you the first month.

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Come on Steam let me give you my money pleaaassseee.

Current Cart:

Batman AA
BioShock 1 (Got 2 for $5 on Amazon recently too)
Commandos Pack
Fear Pack
Bad Company 2

TAKE MY MONEY DAMNIT

Leonsito

Activision is by far the worst publisher in the Steam sales, 50% off a year old game is "great", but not when the price is still $60, and only a daily deal.

The entire catalogue is not on sale, not even a publisher pack, they're a joke.

FFFUUUUU

I'm an idiot... I'm out of the country. I forgot that might be a problem. I'd imagine the Steam store does not work outside of Australia, US and Europe yeah ? damnit I need to buy these games

Dr.Acula

Banned
Bought Mass Effect 1&2 last night and it's pretty good so far. Instead of helping an Elf find a magical Elf thing, I'm helping an alien find a technological alien thing (I know that sounds stupid, but that change results in Mass Effect being cool, while Dragon Age is still virtually unplayable for me (although I do like Elder Scrolls more than Fallout...)).

Anyhow, ME has some free DLC for it, but you have to sign up for a BioWare acct. The DLC is here.

Joe Molotov

BritBloke916 said:
As a UK resident using British Telecom as my ISP (their Basic Broadband package) I have a monthly download allowance of 10GB. TEN. Per MONTH.

It would take you three months to download Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition. :lol

Durante

DreadTheUnDead said:
FFFUUUUU

I'm an idiot... I'm out of the country. I forgot that might be a problem. I'd imagine the Steam store does not work outside of Australia, US and Europe yeah ? damnit I need to buy these games
That's when you use remote desktop.

Geoff9920

FEAR 2 - WTF, why am I stuck playing at 720p? Evening manually changing the settings.cfg file to 1080p doesn't work. What sort of garbage is this?

One question to the people that have the witcher enhanced edition.

When I start the game, Ive always get a steam message with a key that tells me to add the key to the game when the game asks me.

But ive been playing 2 hours now and the game has never asked for the key. Is this normal?

fatty

matthsv said:

For the longest time my ISP provider had the 25GB limit for Silver subscribers ($30 /month, the one I used to be on) and 50GB /month for Gold. We didn't have any other options at the time, there were so many complaints and I was always checking my bandwidth. After years (since 2000) of having unsatisfactory caps my ISP finally made the switch this past year. I switched to Gold level where they upped the cap to 250GB. I downloaded DA: Ultimate Ed. yesterday without a second thought.

clip

SpacePirate Ridley said:

When I start the game, Ive always get a steam message with a key that tells me to add the key to the game when the game asks me.

But ive been playing 2 hours now and the game has never asked for the key. Is this normal?

Yes.

Erasus

Geoff9920 said:
FEAR 2 - WTF, why am I stuck playing at 720p? Evening manually changing the settings.cfg file to 1080p doesn't work. What sort of garbage is this?

Really? I´ll try it later today as I just got it, but I played the demo when that got out and I could play it in 1080p.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Are these 360 pad issues with AC2 wireless pads? Because I'm on a wired 360 pad and I don't have any issues.

Geoff9920 said:
1080p works fine for me.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
MomoPufflet said:
The Witcher is the best $5 I've spent in the past couple months. Please buy it.

Tell me of the must have MODS for this game. Any graphical improvement mods?

edit: Or direct me to a link with them. It's a 2007 game so I'm sure there has to be some cool mods.

I have £26 left to spend on this sale, and so far I want Oblivion and STALKER CoP, which at the moment are £19 together unless they're a daily deal.

Only £7 to spend otherwise. :( I hope there's two or three good games are £2/3 each the next few days. :lol

vocab

SpacePirate Ridley said:

The game used to have drm. You can just make the key never show up again if you really wanted to.

tjohn86

Dr.Acula said:
Oh man, if you think that's great, play Mass Effect :D

Played and beat both Mass Effect games on Xbox. I guess I should have known I would love DA. The 24 gig download only took ~5 hours. The high res textures and the quality of the sound make it worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom