• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

RbBrdMan said:
Tell me of the must have MODS for this game. Any graphical improvement mods?

edit: Or direct me to a link with them. It's a 2007 game so I'm sure there has to be some cool mods.
Vanilla was fine for me. The game looks good and the interface isn't consolized garbage so what's the point?

(re: The Witcher)

Geoff9920

Stallion Free said:
Are these 360 pad issues with AC2 wireless pads? Because I'm on a wired 360 pad and I don't have any issues.

1080p works fine for me.
Weird, anytime I change the resolution in-game the screen goes black, it'll flash the screen at 1080p for a second, and then immediately switch back to 720p.

kai3345

Banned
My damage report:

Humble Indie Bundle - $5
L4D2 - $5 (Treasure Hunt Sale)
Mass Effect 2 - $10 (Gift for someone)
Alpha Protocol (Gifted to me)
FEAR (Gifted to me)
Just Cause 2- $7.50
Bad Company 2- $6.50
The Witcher- $5.00
Dragon Age Ultimate- $25.00

RbBrdMan said:

edit: Or direct me to a link with them. It's a 2007 game so I'm sure there has to be some cool mods.

I'd be interested to know as well. Unfortunately I don't know of any as I am playing it vanilla right now (it still looks really good to me aside from some blocky models and some low-res NPC textures).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
RbBrdMan said:

Actually I'd be interested in any mods as well.

clip

Bought:
VVVVV
Super Meat Boy
Just Cause 2
The Witcher

Received
Assassin's Creed 2
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

I can't really think of anything else I'm super interested in at the moment. There are a few games on GoG I've been considering though!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Let's see, I have bought:

Alpha Protocol
Dead Rising 2
FEAR + expansions
Flatout: UC
Just Cause 2
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Mafia
Mafia II (technically through Amazon, but it's a Steam game now)
The Misadventures of PB Winterbotton
The Secret of Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2
Shattered Horizon
Super Meat Boy
The Witcher

also gifted several copies of VVVVVV and 1 copy of Dead Rising 2

That + the 2 humble bundles makes for one hell of a haul, I have a lot to play

Dice said:
WTF 10GB? Are they trying to kill the internet?
That is fucked up . . . well, unless you are really paying a low price for internet access.

It is not like the wires or routers wear out. I'd understand if they throttle at times heavy bandwidth usage by everyone. But there is really no point of capping bandwidth usage if you are just downloading big games overnight when no one is using the bandwidth. That is bad economics.

So is F.E.A.R 2 worth checking out? I picked up the first one on it's own as buying the pack is no cheaper than buying them individually. I'm hesitant to grab the sequel because I seem to recall the demo was somewhat underwhelming and I'd heard it wasn't as good as the original in many ways.

Helmholtz

grendelrt said:
Witcher is an absolute steal at 5 bucks. Doooo ittttttttttt
Fuck it, I'm doing it. I've always been mildly interested in it, and there's no way I can regret it at that price :D
Also, so far I've purchased:
CS:Source (I already had it on a different account :lol)
The Witcher
Humble Bundle
Was gifted PB Winterbottom

Stallion Free said:
Are these 360 pad issues with AC2 wireless pads? Because I'm on a wired 360 pad and I don't have any issues.
Wireless 360 pad and my wired hori pad. This is an issue with all Ubisoft games. From Assassins Creed 1 to Conviction.

Helmholtz said:
ffffuuuuuu
really? I'm pretty tempted atm :(

The world is really clicking with me. It's so bleak and the music really excellent. The world has a lot of depth but it's easy to grasp what's going on. The combat does not thrill me (I think this will be the deciding factor for some people) but it works fine and the interface is good. For $5 I feel it is absolutely worth a try.

Leonsito

MomoPufflet said:
The world is really clicking with me. It's so bleak and the music really excellent. The combat does not thrill me (I think this will be the deciding factor for some people) but it works fine and the interface is good. For $5 I feel it is absolutely worth a try.

Also, alchemy in The Witcher is great, the only game where I loved mixing potions and researching recipes and ingredients.

Dambrosi

Banned
Dr.Acula said:
Bought Mass Effect 1&2 last night and it's pretty good so far. Instead of helping an Elf find a magical Elf thing, I'm helping an alien find a technological alien thing (I know that sounds stupid, but that change results in Mass Effect being cool, while Dragon Age is still virtually unplayable for me (although I do like Elder Scrolls more than Fallout...)).

Anyhow, ME has some free DLC for it, but you have to sign up for a BioWare acct. The DLC is here.
Thanks, dude. I would have never known about this had you not posted about it. Is this a Christmas-only thing, or has it been going for a while? Either way, someone should make a thread about it, is my opinion.

And I couldn't agree more with you about the first paragraph. Morrigan can Disapprove all she wants.

speculawyer said:
That is fucked up . . . well, unless you are really paying a low price for internet access.

It is not like the wires or routers wear out. I'd understand if they throttle at times heavy bandwidth usage by everyone. But there is really no point of capping bandwidth usage if you are just downloading big games overnight when no one is using the bandwidth. That is bad economics.
It's a holdover from when bandwidth was really, really expensive.

:lol

Maybe next time that guy will use a proper ISP, like TalkTalk.

Leonsito said:
Also, alchemy in The Witcher is great, the only game where I loved mixing potions and researching recipes and ingredients.

Yeah-- as someone said in the official thread, alchemy and magic is something that I avoided in games like Oblivion, but it's very well-presented in The Witcher. It really feels like it's part of what your character "does" if that makes sense.

Dambrosi said:
has it been going for a while?
Its pretty old news I think. Since the PC version came out a while after the 360 one, all the PC users got the DLC for free which was already out on 360.
MomoPufflet said:
Yeah-- as someone said in the official thread, alchemy and magic is something that I avoided in games like Oblivion, but it's very well-presented in The Witcher. It really feels like it's part of what your character "does" if that makes sense.
Well from the intro movie where Geralt is drinking his potions to the first mandatory potion you have to make and even in the difficulty description. They really made an effort to tell you that "yes you have to make and use potions". Its one of the things they succeeded in.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn you guys, I can't wait to play the Witcher. I've been waiting for this for like 3 years now, I wish I had my PC like right now.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
bonesmccoy said:
http://www.moddb.com/games/the-witcher

But I've only ever played vanilla Witcher.

Yea I just got done checking out the MOD DB site. It seems they have some mods over there. I usually like playing PC games with mods, odd fetish of mine. Thanks for the linkage. The texture mod is reported to have issues with the Steam version of the game. At least by the comments on Mod DB.

Edit Direct Link to just the mods for witcher:
http://tinyurl.com/2wgm6gp

The damage so far hasn't been too bad for me, only 3 games bought:

Disciples 3 is actually pretty awesome, like King's Bounty and Disciples 2 had a baby. While I loved Disciples 2's simplistic combat, I also find myself enjoying the grid based battles going on here as well. Haven't run into any bugs yet, but I feel like they are lurking in the darkness waiting to strike...

Iron Grip Warlords... Love the concept of this game... a FPS + tower defense, but ugh, my first single player experience was pretty bad. The instant I step out to shoot the enemy I get annihilated, no matter what kind of cover I try to use, and the interface is so clunky. I really need to play this online before I judge it though.

AI War, well I played the shit out of the demo and loved it, can't wait to dig into this and maybe play some co-op with some other people. I hear that he has implemented almost perfectly seemless drop-in drop-out co-op which has me excited.

Bring on this week's sales! Kinda hoping Drakensang goes on sale. Would definitely pick that up for around $5 or less.

I just got the Witcher ... i am not even interested in it! damn you guys!! :(

(well, honestly the only game i want now is Red Alert 3, i doubt it be over $10 if it gets a sale... please be in a sale!!!)

money left $14.24 ....

eznark

Banned
I love when there are crazy Witcher sales and more people buy it and realize it's one of the best RPG's of the last few years. The Witcher 2 better sell gangbusters!

Minsc

Gold Member
barnone said:
Is the witcher action rpg? How does the combat play out? I am about to bite on it

You have 3 fighting stances to choose between, enemies are weak against different ones, and you click every 3-5 seconds to chain attacks, when the icon flashes to a chain icon. If you click at the wrong moment your combo ends.

The combat is serviceable, gets the job done. It's the world and story that are the most enjoyable parts. If you enjoy them, the game delivers a great RPG experience, if the story bores you along with the combat, you're out $5, not the worst thing ever.

There aren't really any essential mods, though there are some to rework the combat a little, and other misc things. I played it vanilla, though technically the EE already has a bunch of mods built in actually, so it's not completely vanilla like the original release.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
wayward archer said:
Iron Grip Warlords... Love the concept of this game... a FPS + tower defense, but ugh, my first single player experience was pretty bad. The instant I step out to shoot the enemy I get annihilated, no matter what kind of cover I try to use, and the interface is so clunky. I really need to play this online before I judge it though.
It shines in co-op with a group of buddies. That's really the only way it should be played.

Corto

eznark said:
I love when there are crazy Witcher sales and more people buy it and realize it's one of the best RPG's of the last few years. The Witcher 2 better sell gangbusters!

CDProjekt sure is counting on that!:D

Ifrit

Come on Bloodlines, wondering why I just recently have read high praise for that game, also interested in episodes from liberty city and lost planet

Marc :D

Neo Member
eznark said:

Witcher 2 was pre-ordered lol.

I'd also like to mention that the Witcher has the est morality choices of any game I've ever played. Nothing is black and white, and you never feel like you have to make a choice to play the game the right way or anything like in KOTOR or ME.

I broke and bought Super Meat Boy. :( I don't find the idea of playing as a sentient chunk of meat to be appealing, but I do like indie platformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom