• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truespeed

For those of you buying Mirror's Edge for the first time on the PC, be sure to try out the third person mod:

Open the "TDInput" file in folder Documents\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\TdGame\Config\

and add this line:

Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="FreeFlightCamera",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

vocab

kai3345 said:
I wish other games would do this

Same here. Eve also gives you the newest expansions for free. Also, you should take a look at the Eve quarterly detailed analysis about Eve. It's like a 50 page PDF about the state of the game. It's fucking insane. The game is going to be alive for a long ass time. Love the support from the developers.

DryvBy

Volcynika said:
Says in the package

Serious Sam HD of first and second game. Plus the original versions of each game.

Ahh, ok thanks. I'm at work and they block ALL gaming websites aside from GAF. I might pick this up. I wish I could gift my SSHD. :(

Volcynika

DryvBy2 said:
Ahh, ok thanks. I'm at work and they block ALL gaming websites aside from GAF. I might pick this up. I wish I could gift my SSHD. :(

If you own SSHD1 or 2 and get the package, you're able to gift the extra.

"Includes Serious Sam HD First and Second Encounter, plus the original versions from 2001 and 2002!
Already own either of the HD versions? Give your extra copy to a friend!"

kai3345

Banned
vocab said:
Same here. Eve also gives you the newest expansions for free. Also, you should take a look at the Eve quarterly detailed analysis about Eve. It's like a 50 page PDF about the state of the game. It's fucking insane. The game is going to be alive for a long ass time. Love the support from the developers.
I would get into it if it wasn't so god damned confusing.

The massive battles and the Goons taking over space all sound awesome but the game is so confusing and doesn't do a good job of teaching you how to play.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
kind of random, but did we ever find out who the three winners of 100 games were?

I don't think we'll find out for a while. They probably haven't drawn the winners yet. Because some of the requirements for the contest involved buying products, Valve had to legally allow a physical write-in option for the contest which didn't involve buying anything. There's a separate deadline for that, so we probably won't know until early in Jan at best I think.

Thank for the variety of explanations, this sounds like a game that I'll truly adore mostly because I adore atmosphere, despressing subjects, and adventure games. It tickles my behind!
+1 for Machinarium.

Durante

EvaPlusMinus said:
Is it really that bad? I'd hate to miss out on some story just because it wasn't as good as the expansion.
NWN 1 or 2?
NWN1's OC is an abomination.
NWN2's OC is serviceable, and even good some way in.

Does this version of EVE include the new character editor, or is that still a work in progress? It looks amazing, and for $5 I'd pick it up just to play with that.

Purkake4

Banned
EvaPlusMinus said:
Is it really that bad? I'd hate to miss out on some story just because it wasn't as good as the expansion.
It depends on whether or not you have ~20h to kill. I'd say the OC is mediocre, especially compared to MotB. The stories are completely different, there are a few returning characters and callbacks to the OC, but it's not really necessary to understand for the expansion.

So decide whether you want to chew through the 20h campaign that has its moments or go straight to the creamy center of goodness.

deleted

Darklord said:
Can I apply the widescreen mod to the steam version of Kotor?

I did it, but Steams policy forbids to modify the .exe of any game, so technically it isn't allowed. But I don't think anything will come from this, as its an old SP game your enhancing and not some recent multiplayer title...

On a pure technical level: Sure, it works (great).

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Purkake4 said:
It depends on whether or not you have ~20h to kill. I'd say the OC is mediocre, especially compared to MotB. The stories are completely different, there are a few returning characters and callbacks to the OC, but it's not really necessary to understand for the expansion.

So decide whether you want to chew through the 20h campaign that has its moments or go straight to the creamy center of goodness.

I like these sorts of RPGs to last, as I play them in chunks. I guess it'll all depend on how long MotB is. Can you give me a general idea of the time it should take?

And thanks a bunch for the answers. Much appreciated. Wonder if there's any mods I should add onto this..

DryvBy

Volcynika said:
If you own SSHD1 or 2 and get the package, you're able to gift the extra.

"Includes Serious Sam HD First and Second Encounter, plus the original versions from 2001 and 2002!
Already own either of the HD versions? Give your extra copy to a friend!"
Sweet, thanks again!

vocab

Team Klimt said:
Does this version of EVE include the new character editor, or is that still a work in progress? It looks amazing, and for $5 I'd pick it up just to play with that.

Not sure if it's out yet. It might, be, but all of incursion isn't even released yet. It's gonna be crazy once they add the ability to walk around in space stations, and give the ability to design the interior of stuff.

Minsc

Gold Member
Struct09 said:
Interested in NWN2, but I want to make sure it runs well in Win7 x64 (it's probably fine). Any reports yet?

Retail version works fine for me, so Steam's should too! Still can bring your system to its knees if you max all options and get a hectic battle, it's kinda like Morrowind in that aspect, there may never be a system that can max it 100%.

CaLe

Are there quests in EVE .. ? Or it's just about random PVP encounters / farming / selling / buying items ?

I'm kind of a sucker for questing...

Minsc

Gold Member
EvaPlusMinus said:
I like these sorts of RPGs to last, as I play them in chunks. I guess it'll all depend on how long MotB is. Can you give me a general idea of the time it should take?

And thanks a bunch for the answers. Much appreciated. Wonder if there's any mods I should add onto this..

20 hours for NWN2 and 25 for MotB. SoZ is around 30, and MoW is 20. I'm not aware of any must have mods for the game/expansions.

vocab said:
Not sure if it's out yet. It might, be, but all of incursion isn't even released yet. It's gonna be crazy once they add the ability to walk around in space stations, and give the ability to design the interior of stuff.

Wow, didn't even know they were working on something like this. I mean, I heard talks about a new character designer, but shit, this looks awesome. I will SERIOUSLY pay monthly on a consistent basis once I can walk around in space stations and design interior stuff. It would be a nice break from things like gate jumping and circling destroyed cargo.

Hey, anyone got anything to say about Cities XL 2011?

mavs

HK-47 said:
Undertide is as bad as the OC.

No way. It's much shorter, and the story is very simple yet still interesting. I liked it better than HotU, which was basically a hack and slash.

SoU feels more like a great fan module than an expansion. That sounds bad, but since the official content up to that point was the OC, fan modules were what the game was for.

EvaPlusMinus said:

MotB is that good. The OC doesn't matter all that much to MotB, though the expansion does immediately follow the OC chronologically.

Purkake4

Banned
Minsc said:
20 hours for NWN2 and 25 for MotB. SoZ is around 30, and MoW is 20. I'm not aware of any must have mods for the game/expansions.
Well, there's a bunch of mods for the
spirit meter
for all the babies...

JudgeN

Struct09 said:
Interested in NWN2, but I want to make sure it runs well in Win7 x64 (it's probably fine). Any reports yet?

What you need to know about NWN2 is that the engine only makes use of one core on your CPU. As long as your CPU is above 3.6ghz then you won't hit a CPU FPS bottle neck. Also if your have an ATI graphic card, you will need to turn down the shadows to low because this game was programed for Nvidia cards and shadows fucks over your FPS with ATI (similar to Last Remnant). Other then that it runs perfect on windows 7 64 bit.

The game will probably never max 60 FPS/Max settings just due to how bad the engine is coded, it will drip alittle when battling a ton of enemies but other then that it shouldn't have to much trouble holding 60 FPS.

Yaweee

CaLe said:
Are there quests in EVE .. ? Or it's just about random PVP encounters / farming / selling / buying items ?

I'm kind of a sucker for questing...

EVE's quests are fucking horrible. Among the worst of all MMOs.

Corto

cartman414 said:
Ok Steam. The rest of the Atari/Hasbro D&D games are a must now.

I suspect you already know that they are available on GOG.com. But let me just say that they are in the case you don't know it yet.

cicero

Caoz said:
RE5 at $10 keeps looking more and more like a good deal as the days pass. :D

So does Assasins Creed 2 for $15.
Indeed. I really wish I would have pulled the trigger on Assassins Creed 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. Went too cheap and I regret it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
JudgeN said:
What you need to know about NWN2 is that the engine only makes use of one core on your CPU. As long as your CPU is above 3.6ghz then you won't hit a CPU FPS bottle neck. Also if your have an ATI graphic card, you will need to turn down the shadows to low because this game was programed for Nvidia cards and shadows fucks over your FPS with ATI (similar to Last Remnant). Other then that it runs perfect on windows 7 64 bit.

The game will probably never max 60 FPS/Max settings just due to how bad the engine is coded, it will drip alittle when battling a ton of enemies but other then that it shouldn't have to much trouble holding 60 FPS.
Fuck all those problems. My cpu is 3.4 ghz overclocked and i have a 4870x2 ati card.

Glad i didnt purchase.

JudgeN

~Kinggi~ said:
Fuck all those problems. My cpu is 3.4 ghz overclocked and i have a 4870x2 ati card.

Glad i didnt purchase.

Its not nearly as bad it sounds, 3.4 is good enough but the shadows is what catches people off guard the most. Don't want people to get upset when they go to max on ATI and get like 14 FPS :lol

1-D_FTW

duckroll said:
I don't think we'll find out for a while. They probably haven't drawn the winners yet. Because some of the requirements for the contest involved buying products, Valve had to legally allow a physical write-in option for the contest which didn't involve buying anything. There's a separate deadline for that, so we probably won't know until early in Jan at best I think.

I thought I read in the rules section that it was a separate drawing for those submissions. It's possible I'm wrong (my enthusiasm for the details ended when I saw winners weren't posted), but I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom