• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Trigun 1-12.

It's been forever since I've last watched this show through to completion, and yours' truly has forgotten most, if not all of it. So, I've started rewatching it, and want to give impressions.

It's pretty fucking bad, but Vash is fun, and there are promises of romance. That's all I really need, I'm finding out: An interesting protagonist, and romance.

wsippel

Banned
Just watched Horizon 10 and felt obliged to tell everyone that this show is still fucking awesome. This is what Guilty Crown tried to be and failed miserably at in every single regard. It walks the fine line between utter stupidity and pure genius, is always completely over the top and ridiculous, random and insane, and it somehow still makes perfect sense in context. If you dropped the show because it was confusing and too much exposition initially, or because you felt threatened by Kimi's boobs, that's really your loss.

EDIT: I also recently started to watch Wakfu, which obviously isn't "anime" (even though some Madhouse guys served as advisors or something?), but god damn Japan - fuck tradition, use vector animations! Traditional animation is very cool if it's like Redline, but that obviously won't work for TV shows. It's insane what a couple of French guys can do with the right tools. That shit is so smooth and flows so well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's bad even on an individual level :(

If this was the first Shinkai movie I saw I'd think "this is terrible, but it's so pretty, but it's terrible, but it's pretty".

I drew a graph to illustrate.

iYaPQIaMoykn7.png

Cwarrior

kenshin ep8-14

ehhh...yeah if you’re going to do a sad back storys try to spread them out or they lose their impact after a dozen in a row.

When does this get real? Cause I was under the impression that this was meant to be a loved high tier shouenen but so far it feels mostly like filler( low tier stuff).

-nice ost really like the sad winter track but am tired of hearing the 4 same tracks over again.

I'm the only one who has fun with all Shinkai movies? Sometimes I don't understand why we hate some animes but loving bad stuff like K-ON! or Inori.

I've liked the two Shinkai films I've seen, Voices and Place Promised. They're both a pleasure to look at. However, his obsessive concern for visual beauty ends up leading to bad direction; it doesn't serve the narrative or the characters or even the themes most of the time, instead serving his personal fetish for clouds and suchlike. He needs to either get a overseeing hand who can rein his worst tendencies in, or drop all pretenses to narrative and go solely for atmosphere.

Shinkai's best work is his 1-minute tightly-constructed, light-hearted short for AniKuri15, where he doesn't have time to get self-indulgent.

kenshin ep8-14

ehhh...yeah if your going to do a sad backstorys try to spread them out or they lose there impact.

When does this get real? Cause I was under the impression that this was mean to be a loved high tier shouenen but so far it feels mostly like filler( low tier stuff).

-nice ost really like the sad winter track but am teired of hearing the 4 same tracks over again.

doesn't get "real" until the Kyoto arc imo.

and i'm still salty that they are not finishing this fucking anime. :(

zeroshiki

It's bad even on an individual level :(

If this was the first Shinkai movie I saw I'd think "this is terrible, but it's so pretty, but it's terrible, but it's pretty".

I drew a graph to illustrate.

The copyright notice did it for me :lol

So, are you telling me Shinkai is Terrence Malick?! :O /blatanttroll

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Penguin Drum 14

Ringo is now exactly like my ex. I'm ready to sue somebody.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've liked the two Shinkai films I've seen, Voices and Place Promised. They're both a pleasure to look at. However, his obsessive concern for visual beauty ends up leading to bad direction; it doesn't serve the narrative or the characters or even the themes most of the time, instead serving his personal fetish for clouds and suchlike. He needs to either get a overseeing hand who can rein his worst tendencies in, or drop all pretenses to narrative and go solely for atmosphere.

Shinkai's best work is his 1-minute tightly-constructed, light-hearted short for AniKuri15, where he doesn't have time to get self-indulgent.
Shinkai would probably be better served filming real world clouds and nature. He could be all Malick-y.

The copyright notice did it for me :lol

So, are you telling me Shinkai is Terrence Malick?! :O /blatanttroll
FFFFFFffff

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ben-to 9

They seemed to have blown their budget. I don't have anything to make gifs on me right now but if someone can find the part where Oshiroi is covering herself up after her book falls, it is pure QUALITY. They also did this weird thing where she fell into her bed on the same plane of animation she was in, after spilling the coffee.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
I'm the only one who has fun with all Shinkai movies? Sometimes I don't understand why we hate some animes but loving bad stuff like K-ON! or Inori.

The only Shinkai movie I didn't like was 5cm/s and that's because it made me incredibly depressed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The only Shinkai movie I didn't like was 5cm/s and that's because it made me incredibly depressed.
Strange, that's the exact reason I love it the most out of his filmography.

Gundam Age 9

Well I didnt think Decil would be part of UE. I liked his character design. I wonder if that means Yurin was in it too. Oh and it was so cool when Flit when unprotected into space!
. I kind of want to make the sound the UE suits make my msg tone for my cellphone, to replace Miyuri's tutturu. Flit, Grodek, and Woolf continue to be great mains. If Emily and Dique are sticking around, I wish they would do something useful. Largan should have got one of the mobile suits from the workshop.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ben-to 9

They seemed to have blown their budget. I don't have anything to make gifs on me right now but if someone can find the part where Oshiroi is covering herself up after her book falls, it is pure QUALITY. They also did this weird thing where she fell into her bed on the same plane of animation she was in, after spilling the coffee.

Yeah, that was pretty terrible.

trejo

Tekken: Blood Vengeance

I liked the part when that dude fought against the other dude and then the old dude was a giant monster. I have to say, if the animators' intention was to make Alisa look like a creepy autonomous realdoll as much as possible then kudos to them. And when Dai Sato's name came up during the credits I felt like laughing and facepalming at the same time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tekken: Blood Vengeance

I liked the part when that dude fought against the other dude and then the old dude was a giant monster. I have to say, if the animators' intention was to make Alisa look like a creepy autonomous realdoll as much as possible then kudos to them. And when Dai Sato's name came up during the credits I felt like laughing and facepalming at the same time.
But is it better than the live action movie?

It's Jex. He has that power.

That, and Jex is one of the few people here who wasn't pushing any Bones anime, Glass Fleet, School Days, and Code Geass on the random people who pop in to ask what to watch.

That alone makes him the most trustworthy poster in this thread!

So you are saying Jexhius is tsundere for K-ON!?

He doesn't like it or anything! He just can't stop watching it! It can't be helped!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That, and Jex is one of the few people here who wasn't pushing any Bones anime, Glass Fleet, School Days, and Code Geass on the random people who pop in to ask what to watch.

That alone makes him the most trustworthy poster in this thread!
He's a self-avowed fan of Akikan! though.

7Th

And have to go against not just a surprisingly top tier Working'!!, but Gintama? Penguin, please.

I don't particularly like Working'!!, to be honest. As far as comedies go, Azazel-san is my favorite comedy of the year.

iavi

He's a self-avowed fan of Akikan! though.

And says that MPD will be in his top 3 of all time. Those aren't the words of a trustworthy fellow, if you ask me.

I don't particularly like Working'!!, to be honest. As far as comedies go, Azazel-san is my favorite comedy of the year.

Azazel-san was pretty erratic. I'd rank it up there too, if only it had remained a bit more consistent than it did.

7Th

If Tatami or Ho5L had aired in 2011, they would also easily take over as "best show of 2011". Poor 2011, forever in the shadow of 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom