• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 DVDs for $20 @ Bestbuy.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat37700050005&type=category&cmp=

Zoolander
Training Day
Shallow Hal
One Fine Day
Legend Of Bagger Vance
Orange County
Summer Catch
Tomb Raider
Quiz Show
Sword Fish
New Jack City
He Got Game
Three Kings
Summer of Sam
Amistad
Gattacca
Sleepers
Trespass
Out of Africa
Mo Better Blues
SNL Best of Adam Sandler
SNL Best of Will Farrel
Election
Jungle Fever
Glengarry Glen Ross
She's All That
Beautiful Girls
Replacement Killers
Bad News Bears
Rules of Attraction

Edit: Fucking laptop, gimme a minute to type out the rest of the list

Yeah I picked up Zoolander and the SNL best of adam sandler and will ferrell at best buy yesterday.

By they way, you forgot to include those two.

Edit: Nevermind, you added them.

border

You got owned if you bought the barebones Gattaca instead of the SuperBit.

The list is okay, but I really don't see anything there that I really have to have. Election would be nice, but I can't really find 2 other things that are really worth buying. Usually the "Best of " SNL discs aren't even that great.

darscot

I would go for SOS and He Got Game, Gattaca is great but I want the super bit. Not much else there that interests me.

border said:

The list is okay, but I really don't see anything there that I really have to have. Election would be nice, but I can't really find 2 other things that are really worth buying. Usually the "Best of " SNL discs aren't even that great.
How did I get owned? It cost me $7 and I honestly could care less about special features or whatever else for that price. Better than paying $15-20 for the Superbit.

border

Original Gattaca DVD is only a single layer disc (extra-low bitrate), so by buying it you wind up with a movie that looks worse than pretty much anything else that has been released in the last couple years. No DTS audio track on it either.

You get what you pay for, I suppose.

andthebeatgoeson

Don't forget hottie Rosario Dawson. I forget if she showed the titties but she was nice. It was probably my first time seeing her and damn, I wanted that.

Hmm, BB is showing that I can get 4 DVDs for about 28 bucks. I think they all may be averaging out to 6 bucks a pop. Get in where you fit in.

border said:

Ummm, no? The original Gattaca disc has a few deleted scenes, plus the transfer is identical to the Superbit version. There's less vertical filtering on the Superbit, which necessitates the increase in bitrate. The difference is extremely minor in picture quality, however. The dual-sided disc (DVD-10) is perfectly suitable for the movie. It doesn't need any more space. The DTS track on the Superbit is worthless; it's from the same audio stems as the Dolby track (same master, exactly), with a +10 db applied to it. It's a shame that people think that DTS sounds better because it's louder.

Error Macro said:
Ummm, no? The original Gattaca disc has a few deleted scenes, plus the transfer is identical to the Superbit version. There's less vertical filtering on the Superbit, which necessitates the increase in bitrate. The difference is extremely minor in picture quality, however. The dual-sided disc (DVD-10) is perfectly suitable for the movie. It doesn't need any more space. The DTS track on the Superbit is worthless; it's from the same audio stems as the Dolby track (same master, exactly), with a +10 db applied to it. It's a shame that people think that DTS sounds better because it's louder.
Owned :)

darscot

I wouldn't go so far as to say owned. I have a few Superbit DVD's and the difference in image quality is far from minor. Audiophiles may say DTS is only louder but to me it sounds better. I'm very much a laymen when it comes to technical details of sound but I'll take the DTS track any day. I spent a pretty penny on my home theater and I don't mind spending a little extra on a DVD.

border

The quality jump on Gattaca is pretty significant, IMO. That's what having double the storage space is going to do anyway. 4.3 GB for a 101 minute movie plus extras is not that great...Gattaca (like Seven or Boogie Nights) was just one of those movies that suffered from coming out in the early DVD days when studios weren't interested in putting out anything really great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom