• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 New Half Life 2 Screenshots

golem

http://half-life2.com/secret/shots/

HL2-antlions2.jpg

HL2-strider2.jpg

HL2-airboat2.jpg

also news that CS Source beta has been delayed slightly

ManDudeChild said:
Looking great as always, but I really dont see how people can say this looks better than S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
well, stalker didn't have stuff like the original hl or cs to pad it's enthusiasm...

another good example is shenmue... if even a dev with a decent rep released that crap, it'd be blasted... but it was yu, so it has to be good...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
i wonder if this or STALKER which actually turn out to be a great game and not just eye candy with a basic game tacked on like Doom3.

Ghost said:
i wonder if this or STALKER which actually turn out to be a great game and not just eye candy with a basic game tacked on like Doom3.

Well HL2 is looking good in that department, i can see myself having hours of fun with the gravity gun alone.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
teepo said:
stalker's graphics are boring, halflife2's isn't.

I actually disagree...

STALKER's world is so incredibly appealing to me. I almost do not even care about the game proper...I just want to explore that massive world they have rendered. I obviously could not possibly visit that site in real life, so this is really the only way to do it. I'm looking forward to that! Sadly, a lot of the game elements look terrible. The animation is just incredibly BAD...

I think HL2 looks very solid in motion, but it certainly isn't the most impressive engine around. It should end up running beautifully, though...

As far as the gameplay itself, I can't speak for STALKER yet...but I can't imagine HL2 being anything OTHER than fantastic. While I'm enjoying Doom 3 a lot, id has never been a group to produce complex, story based games. Obviously, Valve simply has Half-Life under its belt...but HL is responsible for an entirely new direction in FPS gaming. I fully believe that HL2 will kick up the experience factor to the top. HL2 will become one of the best FPS titles of all time. Valve simply knows how to make truly incredible scenarios and I think HL2's design will end up being vastly superior to Half-Life (which was almost like a testing ground).

Vitten

Cool, I have the feeling this game will have a lot more variety than ID's latest offering.

Graphics may not be of the same level as DIII but who cares if the game turns out to be a lot more fun ?

Mason

I'm sure it will look amazing in motion, but is it just me, or does HL2 just not impress you anymore? Did the graphics get worse or did better-looking games just trump it?

MaddenNFL64

Remember when Half-Life 2's graphics were the best ever? Yeah, it wasn't that long ago. Technology just caught up to it really. It should have been a 2003 game.

I'm not going to argue..I'll be getting Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Regardless of which one has better graphics.

dark10x

D2M15 said:
But at least it uses more than three colours!

Err, Doom 3 has an extremely vibrant palette at times. Obviously, the game is trying to be very dark...but some of the lighting used at various points is absolutely brilliant.

It drives me crazy when people throw out that "at least it uses more than ____ colors!!!" argument. MGS2 was hit with those same complaints! What on earth do you people want?! Why do you think a gritty, realistic looking game would look better with a splash of rainbow tossed in?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
dark10x said:
It drives me crazy when people throw out that "at least it uses more than ____ colors!!!" argument.

It drives me crazy when I have to put twenty-five winking smileys on the end of every one of my posts so as not to upset your dear heart, dark.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
It's going to be interesting to see how the Source engine stacks up against DOOM 3's. Source looks like it's going to be the choice is you want to render big spaces or alot of outdoor terrain. I just don't see the DOOM 3 engine faring well in anything but closed-room environments on most modern systems, but it may prove me wrong.

MaddenNFL64

I've seen a few movies of S.T.A.L.K.E.R on G4. The framerate is crap from what I can see(at the point it was recorded anyway), but the game's environments are really gorgeous. I saw a mutant animal though, and it didn't look like it had enough polys :p.

Deg

Banned
The latest STALKER trailer is well worth downloading. Let me know if you can find a high res version of that because it uses some very good effects that are barely noticeable in the low res movie.

HL2 still looks good. More like Far Cry than Doom 3 in the engine dpartment from the looks of it.

mint

Banned
Actually, I don't mind if the graphics aren't as good as DOOM 3, cuz looking at it now I like it, and my computer will probably not need an upgrade :\

Tenguman

Awesome! Hopefully this will give me the gameplay girth that Doom 3 was sorely lacking

Gabe Newell may be an ass, but if they deliver I won't say nothing else.

listen guys, what the fuck is it with STALKER? people fall in love with the beautiful sky textures and refuse to listen to common sense and read up on the game.

they havent an idea on AI and gameplay. it seems to be a good looking engine, but with not so great animations.

Valve have given us Half-Life.

go figure.

dark10x

D2M15 said:
It drives me crazy when I have to put twenty-five winking smileys on the end of every one of my posts so as not to upset your dear heart, dark.

It drives me crazy when people edit their posts to add stuff like that. :p

shpankey

not an idiot
This looks good, but to be honest, I'm not that impressed with the graphics. Doom 3, Far Cry, Battlefield Vietnam etc have really took some of the wow out of HL2's graphics for me.

Top Bottom