• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D platformers - Any hidden gems I should consider?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm a huge fan of 3D platformers and am currently trying to play all the good ones I might have missed in the past. I already own these:

- Super Mario series (64, Sunshine, 64 DS, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D Land, 3D World, Odyssey, Wario World)
- Sonic series (Adventure 1 & 2, Heroes, Shadow, 2006, Secret Rings, Unleashed PS360, Unleashed Wii, Black Knight, Colours Wii, Generations PS360, Lost World Wii U, Lost World 3DS, Boom Rise of Lyric, Forces)
- Banjo series (Kazooie, Tooie, Gruntys Revenge, Nuts & Bolts, Yooka-Laylee, DK64)
- Rayman series (2, 3, Tonic Trouble)
- Crash series (1, 2, 3, Wrath of Cortex, Twinsanity, of the Titans Wii, of the Titans DS, MoM Wii)
- various Disney platformers (Donald Duck Quack Attack PS1, Donald Duck Quack Attack N64 / DC, Donald Duck Quack Attack GCN / PS2, Donald Duck Pk: Out of the Shadows, Epic Mickey 1 & 2)
- Jak series (1, 2, 3, Daxter, Lost Frontier)
- Croc series (1, 2)
- Vexx
- Kao the Kangaroo 2
- Conker's Bad Fur Day
- FreezeME
- Billy Hatcher
- Kya Dark Lineage
- Tak 1 & 2
- Super Lucky's Tale
- Tearaway
- Psychonauts
- Prince of Persia (Sands trilogy, 2008, Forgotten Sands PS360, Forgotten Sands Wii)
- Alice series (McGee's Alice and Alice Madness Returns)
----
Added since then:
- Gex 3D & Deep Cover Gekko
- Chameleon Twist 1
- Tak 3 & 4
- Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 1 & 2
- Spyro 4 & 5
- Super Magnetic Neo (though it looks pretty weak for how much it costs Scratch that, it's brilliant.)
- Kao the Kangaroo
- Voodoo Vince
- Sly Cooper 1 & 2
- Toy Story 2
- Jersey Devil
- Scaler
- Ratchet & Clank 1-3 & Size Matters
- Pac-Man World series (1-3)
- Blinx
- Poi

Games I still have on the radar:
(Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3? It never released here and is super expensive; will decide after finishing Ty 2)
- Though I hate Spyro, if the Trilogy comes in full physical from at some form, I might buy it
- A Hat in Time
- Sly Cooper 3? Pretty pissed it is not on the VIta trilogy. Maybe will get the PS2 version if I really like 1 & 2 though.
- Chameleon Twist 2? Very expensive if it is as short as the first one again.
- Blinx 2? Pretty expensive, will decide after playing 1.

I am pretty sure my list is not exhaustive when it comes to good 3D platformers. Are there any brilliant or at least really good games in the genre I am missing, both in my collection, and on my buying list?

EDIT: All dedicated game platforms are admissible. I have all Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft systems and the PlayStations 1, 2, Portable and Vita. I have no issues with buying a PS3 or PS4, either. I do not play on phones or PCs though.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time
Bugs Bunny & Taz: Time Busters

Both short and easy to complete 100%.
There's also Scaler for ps2/xbox/gamecube which I hear is decent.

Last edited:

Yoshi

I have A Hat in Time on my radar as well, but I will still wait a while to see if it gets a retail release, even if limited. They also said that there wasn't going to be a Switch version and now it is coming. Much smaller Indie games are seeing retail releases nowadays, so I am still holding out hope.

Would you consider stuff like Mini Ninjas (PS3;360), deBlob series, or Shinobi/Nightshade (PS2) to be platformers as well? If so, then those are all pretty fun.

Also, how has Tearaway not been posted yet? The platforming itself is fairly easy, but the game it still great.

Yoshi

Would you consider stuff like Mini Ninjas (PS3;360), deBlob series, or Shinobi/Nightshade (PS2) to be platformers as well? If so, then those are all pretty fun.
No, I wouldn't. I am pretty restrictive in that regard, and some of the games above would not be listed if they were not part of a platformer series (Jak 2 & 3, Nuts / Bolts would definitely not be on the list if they were stand alone games). I do have deBlob 2 for instance, but haven't listed it.

Also, how has Tearaway not been posted yet? The platforming itself is fairly easy, but the game it still great.
Oh, I forgot about that. I have this game, I should put it on the list. I do not like it much though, because the platforming is too simplistic and the game lives too much off its, admittedly gorgeous, presentation

No, I wouldn't. I am pretty restrictive in that regard, and some of the games above would not be listed if they were not part of a platformer series (Jak 2 & 3, Nuts / Bolts would definitely not be on the list if they were stand alone games). I do have deBlob 2 for instance, but haven't listed it.

Oh, I forgot about that. I have this game, I should put it on the list. I do not like it much though, because the platforming is too simplistic and the game lives too much off its, admittedly gorgeous, presentation
What about something like Prince of Persia? Psychonauts? Ape Escape? Klonoa (though depending on the game, might be fake 3D platforming)? Sly Cooper series?

There was also a really, really cool game called Snake Pass. Definitely.... different as far as 3D platformers go, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Yoshi

What about something like Prince of Persia?
I consider them corner cases, but I haven't listed them here: I have all 3D PoP games except PoP 3D. I will add them to avoid confusion.
Psychonauts?
Forgot to put it on the list, will add.
Ape Escape?
Maybe, I do not know these.
Klonoa (though depending on the game, might be fake 3D platforming)?
That's 2D.
Sly Cooper series?
I have the fourth game in the series, which I perceived as pretty middling. But maybe I should check out the predecessors.

Doom85

I'll also second the love for Ape Escape. And yeah, I never played Sly Cooper 4 but I heard a lot of people didn't like it as much as the original trilogy so you may want to give it a shot.

Also, how I could forget Ratchet and Clank?! Like it's kinda a mix of third-person shooter/platformer but it would likely be up your alley.

Yoshi

Yooka-Laylee is pretty good, and there was a retail release of it.
I know, I love it and have the retail version fom Kickstarter. I listed it under Banjo series. My second favourite game of last year and I will definitely be there again for the Switch retail version.
I'll also second the love for Ape Escape. And yeah, I never played Sly Cooper 4 but I heard a lot of people didn't like it as much as the original trilogy so you may want to give it a shot.

Also, how I could forget Ratchet and Clank?! Like it's kinda a mix of third-person shooter/platformer but it would likely be up your alley.
I know the first Ratchet & Clank, which was pretty much a shooter with a comic look. However, I was thinking about getting the PS Vita Trilogy release. Is this a good way to play these?

hecatomb

Banned
Bug and Bug Too for Sega Saturn they are kind of like 2D.5. American McGee's Alice

Last edited:
I really enjoyed A Hat In Time. One of my main complaints is just that I wish there was more of it.

I think they just announced an extra world, though, so that should be cool.

Jarbloko

Pac-Man_World.jpg

One of the most underated 3d platform game.
100% recomended

Smasher89

Super cloudbuildt : progression is kinda tricky to figure out how it works, but learning to move around in this was fun. Focuses on the movement and platforming, a bit tricky at first as running on walls aren't that common with 3d platformers, seems to have some room for creativity as a player, and designed challenges for more replayability. (noticed its on the list of 50 games for 50 on gog too).

Last edited:
Ratchet and Clank

Also recently discovered a little gem for current consoles, and can get physically on Switch, called Poi. Graphically it's very dated, but it's a pretty solid game, another N64 influenced platformer.

AndrewRyan

There's also Scaler for ps2/xbox/gamecube which I hear is decent.
I liked what I've played so far.. feels like the origin of Ratchet & Clank. The last game in my PS2 backlog.

I know the first Ratchet & Clank, which was pretty much a shooter with a comic look. However, I was thinking about getting the PS Vita Trilogy release. Is this a good way to play these?
The framerate isn't very good on Vita. The PSP Ratchet Secret Agent Clank is fun.

Another good 3D platformer is, Alice: Madness Returns
457c60abd6c49ddad56bed6e70d4bde0.jpg

Thurible

I've never played these games, and personally I think it is weird considering it is from a licensed children's show cartoon, but apparently there are some spongebob platformers out there that have a sort of cult following on youtube. I heard battle for bikini bottom is good.

Personally, I second (hundred?) A Hat in Time. It is a fantastic game that plays very well, and is incredibly cute and charming with some of the most unique characters I have seen in a while. Just be aware it is a bit buggy.

Yoshi

Ratchet and Clank

Also recently discovered a little gem for current consoles, and can get physically on Switch, called Poi. Graphically it's very dated, but it's a pretty solid game, another N64 influenced platformer.

Whoa, I did not know this is available physically, many, many thanks, I have just ordered it, for the nice price of 24€ including import fees and postage. I knew of this game but I would never have expected to get this game physically. The thread has already paid of majorly. Many thanks again!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Another good 3D platformer is, Alice: Madness Returns
457c60abd6c49ddad56bed6e70d4bde0.jpg
Alice MR has a great art direction and somewhat intresting story but as 3D platformer is not very good. The biggest problem is even tho you go through different areas that has different look to it you still will be same platforming through out the game with just different coat of paint.

Top Bottom