• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60 Second Halo 2 Commercial is here

TheDuce22

Banned
For some reason In Amber Clad reminds me of some classic 16-bit era games. Its the perfect music for one of those "city at night" levels.

aerofx

Whoa. In amber clad is sweet as hell. A lot of the other tracks are very good too! At first I was hoping they were all orchestrated tracks but those guitars and other instruments work pretty well.

border

Can someone post direct download links for all the sound clips? The flash is just not working right.
GhaleonEB said:
The best way to sell Halo 2 in a visual medium is to show it; MS and Bungie got that right.
Congratulations to MS and Bungie! I thought that they were going to have a black screen with only sound, or maybe try and install a Smell-O-Vision rig in people's homes.

GhaleonEB

border said:
Congratulations to MS and Bungie! I thought that they were going to have a black screen with only sound, or maybe try and install a Smell-O-Vision rig in people's homes.

I mean as opposed to most game ads where there is six seconds of game footage in a thirty second ad (See: Paper Mario).

PhatSaqs

Banned
border said:
I give this attempt at sarcasm 5 weaksauces out of 5

border

Watch Monday Night Football, or play basically any Madden game. He will spout the gems out at least once every five minutes.

"When you're a receiver, what you wanna do is outrun the guy covering you and catch the ball. If you can do that, you'll score some points sooner or later."

"For a guy on defense, the best thing you can do is turn the ball over, and he really did it on that play."

"If you're running the ball, it really helps when you've got blockers."

GhaleonEB

border said:
Watch Monday Night Football, or play basically any Madden game. He will spout the gems out at least once every five minutes.

"When you're a receiver, what you wanna do is outrun the guy covering you and catch the ball. If you can do that, you'll score some points sooner or later."

"For a guy on defense, the best thing you can do is turn the ball over, and he really did it on that play."

"If you're running the ball, it really helps when you've got blockers."

Heh - okay, I get it.

But...my point is that most game companies don't.

Man, that looks fooking awesome.
I saw the p1rat3d french version of Halo 2 at some guys house, it is really something special. Well done, Bungie.
I do not understand french, only voulez vous couchez avec moi ce soir.
So I am holding out for the real thing, who wants to hear Master Chief in french anyway?

Moe

border said:
Can someone post direct download links for all the sound clips? The flash is just not working right.
No problem:

Peril (by Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori)
In Amber Clad (by Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori)
Halo Theme Mjoinder Mix (by Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori)
Earth City (by Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori)

These tracks are all part of the ingame music, whereas the next two will be only on the OST:

Blow me away (by Breakin Benjamin)
Follow (by Incubus)

mrmyth

As a rabid spoiler free kind of guy I feel dirty for having watched that commercial. Like losing my virginity in 60 seconds. (Which ain't too far from the truth.)

I'm loving the subtle trolling in this thread though.

GhaleonEB

mrmyth said:
As a rabid spoiler free kind of guy I feel dirty for having watched that commercial. Like losing my virginity in 60 seconds. (Which ain't too far from the truth.)

Bungie does not release to the public what they consider to be spoilers. What made you feel spoiled? We still have no idea what the story is, just got shots of a few of the players in it.

mrmyth

GhaleonEB said:
Bungie does not release to the public what they consider to be spoilers. What made you feel spoiled? We still have no idea what the story is, just got shots of a few of the players in it.

No, I went in a monk-like state of Halo2 self denial a couple of months ago. I embargoed anything to do with the game for fear of spoilage. This commercial is the most footage I've seen since the city gameplay video. I know there's no real spoilers, I was just too weak not see anything else before release.

Dragmire

Here's a commercial review from someone who's never played Halo and hasn't seen much Halo 2 stuff. I always like gauging the effectiveness of commercials, so don't take my criticisms personally.

Having found the thirty second commercial completely uninteresting (and in fact confusing), this one is definitely better. It's more coherent and intriguing. But making it like a movie trailer only brings out the cheese in the art. If this were a movie, it would be the cheesiest of American science fiction flicks, far cheesier than any I can think of. That's how lots of American FPS's are, though. It's more acceptable to the gaming crowd, but that doesn't make the commercial very effective to a layman. As a casual to the Halo phenomenon, it just looks like a goofy alien game with lots of movie-like action.

All that said, there seems to be enough pre-sales and word-of-mouth that they didn't need the commercial to do a really good job at hyping the game. And admittedly, a lot of the mainstream eats up rather cheesy movies and games. Also, I'm personally not very picky about cheesineess in games like Halo, and I think I'd like the series. I just don't want an X-Box for it (and my PC is far too ancient to run the first game).

There's a new song clip from the Halo 2 soundtrack called Ancient Machine that was just posted. Outside of the gawd awful Incubus song, this is the weakest one so far.

LINK

DEVO.jpg

Earth City>*

Okay AD. More excited seeing the 30second one - this one didn't add anything new

Q: In the print ads; MC is standing in front of the HONGKONGSHANGHAI bank by Norman Foster in HongKong - does the conflict take place in regions other than continental US and did Bungie model these cities? That would be awesome and anticipation +1

and this has to be said; everytime I see the prophet speak scene; I see his mouth and think of a puckering vagina.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Holy fucking shit Incubus sucks. Looks like there's another one of their songs up as well called 2nd Movement of the Odyssey.

Someone just pissed in my ear hole.
The Second Movement is actually not that bad. The First Movement sucks ass, though.

And damn, Earth City DOES kick ass. Super epic.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
TheGreenGiant said:
Okay AD. More excited seeing the 30second one - this one didn't add anything new

Q: In the print ads; MC is standing in front of the HONGKONGSHANGHAI bank by Norman Foster in HongKong - does the conflict take place in regions other than continental US and did Bungie model these cities? That would be awesome and anticipation +1
The only city I think we know of for sure (aside from those crazy French pirates) is New Mombasa. And that would presumely be in Africa.

FightyF

Banned
The music in the trailer isn't from the game though, am I right?

Plus are those cutscenes in the ad from the game, or were they done for the commercial using the in game engine?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Fight for Freeform said:
The music in the trailer isn't from the game though, am I right?

Plus are those cutscenes in the ad from the game, or were they done for the commercial using the in game engine?
That's all in-game. Every last second. Well, except for the "It's good to play together screen." I don't think that's in-game.

In Amber Clad - Shit that fucking ROCKS!!! Man I'm so pumped - hearing that puts my mind at ease regarding the soundtrack somewhat.

Top Bottom