• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Few New Tekken 5 Tidbits

DrDogg

http://www.gamedaily.com/general/article/?id=7137

In addition to the ship date information, according to an interview with the Tekken 5 development team featured in EDGE Magazine, there is a chance that the highly anticipated fighting game could show up on more than just the PlayStation 2. While the interview did not specifically say that the game would see a multiplatform release, the team was quoted as saying, “A multiplatform release has not yet been discussed.” This contradicts early reports that Namco confirmed a PS2 exclusive release in the first quarter of 2005. Xbox and GameCube owners, keep your fingers crossed.

There's more to it than this, but this is the best part. While I own all three consoles, if Tekken 5 eventually goes online, I think Xbox Live would be the best option for it. Especially after hearing what Itagaki and crew are doing with DOAU.

Normally I would think Namco would simply say it's PS2 exclusive if they had already decided. Since they state here that they haven't discussed a multiplatform release, that to me means they're still open to the option. Through in the ease of XBL development, the success of SC2, and the online competition from Tecmo and Midway, and I could see Tekken 5 hitting Xbox.

Thoughts...

DrDogg

Bob White said:
I think it will come to ps2, then the cube and xbox about six months later.

The article also mentioned a late Summer release date for PS2 (presumably in Japan), so with a six month gap, the game may as well jump to Xbox 2 and Revolution. I certainly wouldn't be complaining...

Gattsu25

Banned
DrDogg said:
“A multiplatform release has not yet been discussed.” This contradicts early reports that Namco confirmed a PS2 exclusive release in the first quarter of 2005.

Hmm...so they say they haven't even thought about a multiconsole release...which 'contradicts' them saying it wasn't going to multiplatform

logic? check

edit: well...it wasn't implicitly denied

Gattsu25

Banned
piss off

what was 'quoted' shows no signs of multiplatform support in any way...and without the original interview, it's hard to read that quote as gamedaily did without running into logic somewhere along the line

jarrod

Banned
Kudie said:
I think this will be the case also. IMO, Namco believes that the Tekken fanbase is on the PlayStation.
Well it certainly is... but unless Namco wants to expand said fanbase, Tekken will remain 3rd place behind Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat in terms of sales. Unless Sony's offering some amazing incentives (which could be the case) it'd be stupid not to push T5 on as many viable platforms as possible...

Kudie

jarrod said:
Well it certainly is... but unless Namco wants to expand said fanbase, Tekken will remain 3rd place behind Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat in terms of sales. Unless Sony's offering some amazing incentives (which could be the case) it'd be stupid not to push T5 on as many viable platforms as possible...

Good point.

DrDogg

Gattsu25 said:
piss off

what was 'quoted' shows no signs of multiplatform support in any way...and without the original interview, it's hard to read that quote as gamedaily did without running into logic somewhere along the line

PS2 exclusive means it's not going to any other platforms, PERIOD. The interview said they hadn't discussed multiplatform yet, meaning the decision hadn't been made to make it PS2 exclusive, just that it will be on PS2 at the very least. Hence the contradiction.

Yeah... seems like GD did use some logic.

jarrod

Banned
drohne said:
there's more than one viable platform?
Namco's already proved that with Soul Calibur 2. If they're serious about pushing Tekken and reaching that 5 million goal, the game needs to be on PS2, GC, XBox and PSP.

ourumov

Street Fighter 2 for the SNES sold 2.90 million units on Japan alone...I think it's fair to see it broke the 5 million mark worldwide.
I know it was a hit on Europe, you know it was on America.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Tekken 3 sold 2.7 million copies in the US on PlayStation. I doubt Tekken 5 would sell that much now even on three systems. Fighting games aren't as popular in the US as they were last gen.

Tekken 3 might have hit five million worldwide if it sold two million copies across Europe. I don't think it's ever been very big in Japan. Either way I'm looking forward to Tekken 5, but these sales predictions sound like the loony toons stuff Capcom comes up with for games like Devil May Cry 2. There just aren't that many people interested in the genre these days. It should still sell at least 1.1 million on PS2 though. A PSP release could do good numbers if it's timed well.

there's more than one viable platform?

If you ignore the fact that it's basically a PlayStation franchise, yes.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Really? I always thought VF2 was the big fighter there last generation. Well if that's the case than it only needed 900K in all of Europe to hit five million worldwide. That was really the last "blockbuster" fighting game. With the way fighting games sell now, I don't see T5 doing those numbers even if they whore it out to every system.

jarrod

Banned
Mooreberg said:
Tekken 3 sold 2.7 million copies in the US on PlayStation. I doubt Tekken 5 would sell that much now even on three systems. Fighting games aren't as popular in the US as they were last gen.
Why not? SC2 already cleared 3.5 million according to Namco and Tekken's by far the more popular franchise.

Mooreberg said:
Well if that's the case than it only needed 900K in all of Europe to hit five million worldwide. That was really the last "blockbuster" fighting game.
Actually, I'd say Soul Calibur 2, Mortal Kombat: Deady Alliance and (especially) Super Smash Bros Melee all qualify as "blockbusters".

jarrod

Banned
Mooreberg said:
How many of those sold over 2.5 million in the US alone?
SSBM is past 2.5 million iirc (and single platform at that). SC2 & MKDA are both probably around 2 million.

cvxfreak

Mooreberg said:
Really? I always thought VF2 was the big fighter there last generation. Well if that's the case than it only needed 900K in all of Europe to hit five million worldwide. That was really the last "blockbuster" fighting game. With the way fighting games sell now, I don't see T5 doing those numbers even if they whore it out to every system.

Well VF2 outsold every Tekken game to date in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Well VF2 outsold every Tekken game to date in Japan.
I've seen different quotes for VF2, ranging from 1.2M to 1.9M. Also I've seen quotes for VF1 selling as much as 1.1M before in Japan.

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
I've seen different quotes for VF2, ranging from 1.2M to 1.9M. Also I've seen quotes for VF1 selling as much as 1.1M before in Japan.

I believe Sega's figures were 1.7 Million or so. But VF has traditionally been more popular in Japan as evidenced by VF4's sales over Tekken 4. Not in the U.S. obviously.

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I believe Sega's figures were 1.7 Million or so. But VF has traditionally been more popular in Japan as evidenced by VF4's sales over Tekken 4. Not in the U.S. obviously.
Looking at amusement, VF is also by far the more popular franchise. VF3 alone probably pulled in more revenue than the entire Tekken series in arcades. It was in the top 5 for something like 3 years...

Top Bottom