• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A History of Repurposed Games

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
As an illustrator and concept artists, sometimes something begins as one type of illustration and then just morphs into something completely different, these kind of happy accidents are normal in the creative process and to be honest I'm sure this exists in other fields as well.

So there's definitely a few famous games that started life as one thing but ended as something completely different.

I think some of the most notable ones would be stuff like Devil May Cry that actually started as a Resident Evil game (originally going to be RE4)

biohazard-4-redgrave.jpeg

Onimusha was originally planned to be a Resident Evil game called "Sengoku Biohazard" , you can see a lot of this with the fixed camera, puzzles, even the monster designs

tGA3bp.gif

Or a Halo that actually started as an RTS game and it was originally going to release on the Mac

Games like Fortnite is kind of interesting because when it was originally shown it actually looked completely different, like darker and some L4D type element lol I don't think any of us really thought what we saw, would morph into one of the biggest online games in the world (at least I didn't)

There's some pretty famous ones that I think we all kind of know like Majora's Mask originally supposed to be an expansion to Ocarina Of Time using that 64DD thing

64DD-Attached.jpg
1*D1ofanJhNZF7kDg8JhIA2Q.jpeg

Honorable mention!

When RE4 was suppose to have ghost and shit lol

resident-evil-3-5-hallucination.jpg

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Biohazard_4_(Hallucination_Version)

When FF Versus XIII was repurposed to make FFXV, this might be our most talked about one lol
With changes to characters designs from many characters out right removed, changes to the order of events and even a change to not make it connect to FFXIII, we may never 100% know all the details on how much was really changed outside of what they've told us, but deserves a spot on here regardless. We rarely know about the change, but this is one of the few times we saw what it was for years before those change took place, even if we didn't know completely how significant any of em are. The game was altered enough to be on here.

0R6piP.gif
tumblr_opl1blzjGP1tfsup9o2_r1_500.gifv
tumblr_otbu0perlG1sbly75o3_540.gif

Originally, this game was suppose to tie into FFXIII, but I don't know if we ever got all the details on how exactly.

3nyz.gif

What are some lesser-known repurposed titles that started their life being developed for 1 thing and then changed mid development to be something else

I'll also accept games that are in development hell that radically changed

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Is Final Fantasy XV a good example of this?

Yes.

I think even though we don't know much about Versus XIII to XV changes, changes existed regardless.

Thats a fair one. We don't know how much exact was repurposed, but was repurposed none the less.

NanaMiku

Little Noah (Battle Champ in the US) was a tower defense mobile game. It was eventually discontinued and repurposed into a roguelike Metroidvania game.

battle-champs-image-01jpg-19b0c2.jpg

N30RYU

The worst of them ALL... Just 3 words and ppl will understand...

Let it die...
Lily Bergamo, for the ppl that doesn't

Last edited:
Top Bottom