• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A little bit of phantom brave crazyness

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
darkwpn.jpg

No shit.

Vieo

Maybe after I'm done with Final Fantasy X I'll pick this up.

Is it by the same guys who made LaPUllce Tactics and Diesega ? (I've got to get those as well)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I like SRPGs and all but I get too intimidated by those games. I'm not a stat crunching freak :|

belgurdo

Banned
Wario64 said:
I like SRPGs and all but I get too intimidated by those games. I'm not a stat crunching freak :|

That's the good (?) thing about N1 games: You don't really need a lot of strategy to win battles; if you're willing to kill time just levelling up or hanging in a bonus dungeon you'll get by

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Wario64 said:

I've been ignoring most of the stats in disgaea, and only entered the item "level up" world once because it was required and I'm still flying through the game. It is fairly easy so most of that extra stuff is unneccisary.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So, after a couple of days since PB's release, how good is it? Never played disgea nor la pucelle, mostly wanted disgea but couldnt find it anywhere in canada.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Thinking about N1 games in the traditional srpg sense isnt a good idea. The strategy doesnt really come from the battle aspect, it comes from teh way you level your character. In disgaea getting through the main game is easy, but beating prinny baal and baal take alot of tweaking of items and your character. This is even more strategic in phantom brave, whe you can tweak every aspect of a character\item individually. And hell the strongest enemy in phantom brave is level 9999+. So doing all the "extra leveling" is needed. Even in disgaea you cant get all the endings without doing the extra leveling.

PB is awesome. Fusion\titles\random dungeons are so fun.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
belgurdo said:
That's the good (?) thing about N1 games: You don't really need a lot of strategy to win battles; if you're willing to kill time just levelling up or hanging in a bonus dungeon you'll get by

But I want the strategy, minus the leveling. e.g. Advance Wars

slayn said:
I've been ignoring most of the stats in disgaea, and only entered the item "level up" world once because it was required and I'm still flying through the game. It is fairly easy so most of that extra stuff is unneccisary.

Ah, cool. I haven't touched Disgaea in a while, I don't really have the time to jump into a RPG right now :p Played it for a couple hours though and it's pretty fun. I just hate it when you can just level up your stats and breeze through the game without any kind of strategy

Geopanels and Protection Bonuses in Disgaea/PB respectively force you to use some semblence of strategy or get owned. Even a level 9999 god character can't bust through an Invincibility Geopanel/Protection. On top of that, PB adds the concept of Remove, so if you can't get your 9999 to your target fast enough, he's outta there. That said, both games are less strict SRPGS and more hybrid SRPG/puzzlers with a massive portion of stats management.

PB > Disgaea, BTW, although both are godly.

Prospero

Drinky Crow said:

God damn it, that means I have to spend $100 today, instead of just $50 (since I'm heading off to the store soon to buy Pikmin 2).

Actually, I should probably play La Pucelle first (still in the wrapper--$20 at Target), since it sounds like I won't enjoy it after Phantom Brave.

EDIT: one question: does PB look like it's going to offer the eight zillion hours of gameplay that Disgaea served up?

Yes, it has 8 zillion hours of gameplay. In fact, it's probably even meatier than Disgaea.

I never got past Chapter 8 in La Pucelle; the game is just so dry compared to Disgaea and Phantom Brave.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Prospero said:
EDIT: one question: does PB look like it's going to offer the eight zillion hours of gameplay that Disgaea served up?
I'm already 9 hours into the game and still dicking around in Chapter 1. Note I've also only played the game twice so far. :)

So, yeah, eight zillion seems to be a good estimate.

Korranator

But I want the strategy, minus the leveling. e.g. Advance Wars
Then Gladius is your game.
You're making it harder to resist buying PB, which I didn't want to since I'm still messing around with Disgaea, and have LaPucelle still sitting in the backlog pile.

Top Bottom