• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A question about overclocking the A8AE-LE on an Athlon X2 3800+ DC

ultim8p00

Banned
Not sure if I should post this here, but I've seen PC threads on here so I figured it's okay. Mods please move if it's the wrong section.

I recently just updated my processor to an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ and I was going trying to OC my processor so I can run some of the latest games. Apparently the recommended OCing method is through the MB BIOS, but it turns out HP didn't want people to access the BIOS for whatever stupid reason, so it's locked. Anyways, I just wanted to ask if there is a way to unlock the BIOS so I have access to Bus speeds, multipliers, voltage etc etc so I can overclock the CPU. Right now its running at 2.0GHz and I've seen guides where people easily hit 2.4GHz without the need for water cooling. How did they do this? I tried clockgen and setFSB and the most stable config I could get was by setting FSB to 229mhz for a total of 2.2GHz. Does anyone have this BIOS unlocked? Is there a way to get higher speeds than 2.2GHz?

CTLance

You culd search for jumpers on the motherboard that accommodate this, but I'm suspecting you're pretty much SOL. Those OEM mobos barely come full-featured. Get a cheapo motherboard, they're not all that expensive anymore.

Dougald

CTLance said:
You culd search for jumpers on the motherboard that accommodate this, but I'm suspecting you're pretty much SOL. Those OEM mobos barely come full-featured. Get a cheapo motherboard, they're not all that expensive anymore.

wotter

If you find something, a bios flash should do the trick. I suspect you'll have a hard time finding something like that. My advice: buy a cheap motherboard somewhere: most of the time, they have a lot more features and can all be oc'ed.

CTLance

Oh, and another thing: If you're using a HP case then you might have problems fitting a standardized motherboard in it. Those mass fabricated OEM PCs often come stripped down to the minimum, and every piece of metal on the case is shaved off to save money. There might be restrictions what kind of mobo you can fit in there - considering cable lengths etc too.

Also check your power supply. It might just be intended for exactly the loadout of the original PC, with little power and/or power connectors to spare.

So be prepared to fiddle around a bit if you're unlucky.

Also, google says you might find this thread interesting: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-171501_12_0.html

ultim8p00

Banned
Yeah, it appears I'm screwed as this PC wasn't really designed for modding and OCing. I could just barely fit my 9600 GT in there and I had to move so much stuff around and even take out an old HD for it to fit, so a new mobo is probably out of the question. The one in there is so small. I was able to flash the BIOS to the latest version, but even that didn't open anything up. Anyways, thanks for the responses. I'll just stop trying to update this thing and save up for a more potent PC.

Top Bottom