• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acclaim have lost the rights to Turok, MLBPA and a developer has a restraining order!

cja

There I was wondering why ASB isn't on Acclaim's new release schedule contained in their awful results :eek: .

From Acclaim's 10-K (annual report) filed July 1st.

Recent Developments

On May 4, 2004 we entered into a Waiver and Amendment agreement (the “Amendment”) with our primary lender, GMAC Commercial Finance LLC (“GMAC”), under which GMAC has agreed to waive the Company’s financial covenant defaults under our GMAC Credit Agreement for the quarter ended March 31, 2004. In addition, GMAC agreed to provide an additional $3 million overadvance in the form of a supplemental discretionary loan. Pursuant to the Amendment, the GMAC Credit Agreement and related financing agreements were to terminate on June 20, 2004. On June 18, 2004, we entered into an Extension Agreement with GMAC which amended the Waiver and Amendment agreement signed by us and GMAC on May 4, 2004. Under the Extension Agreement, GMAC has agreed to extend the date upon which our banking agreement with GMAC will terminate, from June 20, 2004 to August 4, 2004.

On May 4, 2004, we entered into a letter of intent with a proposed new lender, for an asset-based credit facility, with an equity component, to replace the GMAC loan facility. We are working with the proposed new lender in order to implement the new facility which is subject to the execution of definitive documentation by both parties. Timely implementation of the new facility will be crucial to avoid severe interruption of our business. See Risk Factors; “Our Ability to Meet Cash Requirements and Maintain Necessary Liquidity Depends on Our Ability to Timely Transition our Credit Facility”.

Also in May 2004, we received notification from The Major League Baseball Player’s Association (MLBPA) that we were late in making certain royalty payments and our license was terminated and that if we did not make the payments in a timely fashion, as well as certain other remedies, that our license would not be reinstated. We have made all required payments to the MLBPA and are current with our payment obligations with certain MLB players, however we have not reached agreement with the MLBPA regarding the other requested remedies and MLBPA is considering the license terminated. We disagree with MLBPA’s interpretation of the license agreement provisions and have advised them as such. We are in continued discussions with MLBPA on this matter.

In April and May 2004, we received notification from Battleborne Entertainment, Inc. (“Battleborne”) that due to various contractual disputes between us and Battleborne regarding our development agreement with Battleborne relating to the development of the videogame entitled Combat Elite: WWII Paratroopers, they were terminating the development agreement. We disagree with their interpretations of the development agreement and demanded that Battleborne fulfill its contractual obligations under the development agreement. In June 2004, Battleborne brought an action in New York state Supreme Court, Nassau County, seeking a temporary restraining order enjoining the release of the title until the contractual disputes have been resolved. The TRO was granted and the matter was scheduled by the court for expedited discovery by both sides. We are also in continued discussions with Battleborne in an effort to resolve this matter amicably.

In June 2004, we received notification from Classic Media, Inc. (“Classic”), the licensor of the intellectual property Turok, that due to failure to make certain royalty payments relating to the videogame title Turok: Evolution that our license agreement with Classic was terminated. We are in discussions with Classic in an effort to resolve this matter amicably.

This excellent thestreet.com article has further info on the debacle. Think the Motley Fool sums it up best....
even if Acclaim does make it past Aug. 4 [initial debt repayment date], it desperately needs to make a hit out of Juiced this fall, or surprise with underdogs like The Bard's Tale or The Red Star. Because if it doesn't, the spring 2005 lineup the company has projected in its earnings release will be of no consequence.

So who owns the Turok ip classic?like in Classic comics?Nintendo should try to grab the rights and give Retro the get go to develop a revolution turok with jurassic park type cgi in real time :p

DMczaf

EAGames.jpg

We all know who will get the Turok IP

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Ugh...EA is terrible.

I liked the Lord of the Rings games. While they had many flaws, they were obviously rushed for deadlines. I think that development team is talented and if given more time could have made killer games.

But the Harry Potter team blows ass. They lack in presentation. Some characters look like the actors, and others are way off. They don't use any official music, although whoever did it did a decent job (sounded VERY morrowindish). But the gameplay...TERRIBLE. Boring, repetitive, easy, generic trash.

MaddenNFL64

Retro could probably make Turok something great, but I doubt Nintendo will go for the license.

Anyone else is better than Acclaim though... well, except Titus I guess :p.

Kon Tiki

Banned
MaddenNFL64 said:
Retro could probably make Turok something great, but I doubt Nintendo will go for the license.

Anyone else is better than Acclaim though... well, except Titus I guess :p.

If Nintendo wanted to , they could get a more profitable comic licence. :p

Brannon

I want (please don't hurt me for saying this) Midway (dodge Ultima/Flare/Fuel Air Bomb) to take the Turok license. They've been doing good so far; I think their recent works have proven that they've at least learned their lesson to some extent, unlike Acclaim (you were doing so good with Vexx, then you fuck it up. Bastards.). They may have some good ideas about it. Here's hoping.

Konami could do it too :p

I wouldn't mind if another developer took the Turok license. I still think the franchise itself has promise despite Acclaim running it into the ground.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm confused about the whole Turok rights thing. First Gold Key had it, then they sold it or licensed it to Valiant, then Acclaim bought Valiant and changet their name to Acclaim comics, and now Classic Comics owns it? (who the hell are they, BTW) Is Classic Comics Gold Key under a different name? That would make sense.

Pachinko

So interplay has died, half of Vivendi is going down the crapper and 3D0 vaped themselves... with acclaim going out next the gaming industry will be down to very few companies...

On the plus side , so far the publishing houses that have gone tits up have all sucked anyway.

Big publishers still left-

EA, UBI, Sony, Nintendo, Segasammy :p , Square Enix , Eidos, ATARI, Activision, Namco , capcom , Konami, Koei , Microsoft , Take 2

It's getting pretty tight in this industry especially since only about half those above companies seem to really dig into the sales charts...

xsarien

daedsiluap
Pachinko said:
It's getting pretty tight in this industry especially since only about half those above companies seem to really dig into the sales charts...

Well, when your corporate strategy is "Make sequels!" without giving any thought as to why there should be a sequel, and not putting any real effort into making sure there's something new in the sequel that builds on the original, this is what happens. It doesn't help that their "original" efforts were nothing but lame attempts to cash in on trends set by more successful games.

Acclaim's in their own hole, and if someone fills it in and puts up a tombstone, at least the eulogy can't point any fingers at Nintendo, who will probably be sitting in the back row mumbing something along the lines of "We told you so..."

Lost Weekend said:
I'm confused about the whole Turok rights thing. First Gold Key had it, then they sold it or licensed it to Valiant, then Acclaim bought Valiant and changet their name to Acclaim comics, and now Classic Comics owns it? (who the hell are they, BTW) Is Classic Comics Gold Key under a different name? That would make sense.

Yeah, Classic owns Gold Key/Western Publishing, which published the original Turok comics in the 50s. They licensed Turok and a couple of other old characters to Valiant when they launched.

etiolate

Banned
Well, when your corporate strategy is "Make sequels!" without giving any thought as to why there should be a sequel, and not putting any real effort into making sure there's something new in the sequel that builds on the original, this is what happens. It doesn't help that their "original" efforts were nothing but lame attempts to cash in on trends set by more successful games.

Yet, Activision and EA do this and make money.

gblues

Banned
xsarien said:
Acclaim's in their own hole, and if someone fills it in and puts up a tombstone, at least the eulogy can't point any fingers at Nintendo, who will probably be sitting in the back row mumbing something along the lines of "We told you so..."

Perhaps not, but maybe there will be an ad for Shadowman 2 on it.

Nathan

Top Bottom