• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action figure appreciation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B'z-chan

Banned
I should have you sign them all for the heck of it. Dude that is so cool. Thats another one if if a lesser known, but maybe not lesser known. Honestly did you have any other work with Hasbro or another two manufature cause i could swear by design theres some faintly similar work out there i've seen.

McFarlane is the one i know personally and have met up with him that was till all hell broke loose personally with him in late 99. hard work if you ask me.

But seriously thank you for the kick ass toy. (goes online to ebay to find the rest of the collection) sadly i found the toys selling for a buck a pop at a Dollar Tree Store here in fresno.

B'z-chan said:
I should have you sign them all for the heck of it. Dude that is so cool. Thats another one if if a lesser known, but maybe not lesser known. Honestly did you have any other work with Hasbro or another two manufature cause i could swear by design theres some faintly similar work out there i've seen.

McFarlane is the one i know personally and have met up with him that was till all hell broke loose personally with him in late 99. hard work if you ask me.

But seriously thank you for the kick ass toy. (goes online to ebay to find the rest of the collection) sadly i found the toys selling for a buck a pop at a Dollar Tree Store here in fresno.

I did toy work only for Hasbro, so I wouldn't know about the other stuff you've mentioned. I sorta pulled the Chaos Effect look/style out of my ass, so I don't know what to tell ya. ;) My research bible while working in the JP team was Gregory Paul's book, Predatory Dinosaurs of the world. His stuff is very realistic yet edgy. He was one of the first that illustrated the velociraptors with feathers and proto beaks. Awesome awesome drawings. Look that book up. My favorite dinosaur book EVAR!

I'm very giddy to find someone that enjoyed the CE stuff! Thanks. Most folks hated it. :D I'd gladly sign the boxes for you. Hopefully that doesn't devalue them. ;)

BTW, here's one that I designed, got approved, and even finished costing and sculpt input drawings for, but got cancelled because CE never went beyond the 1st pass. It's the Tembo - Dilaphospinus 2 pack.

Dilaphospinus.jpg

B'z-chan

Banned
Oh man i feel giddy. Seriously though man your work CE really inspired some of my own work, back when i was into 2-D design i really loved putting Dino's in place that they shouldn't be. Ala Dino Crisis 3. I could be honest in saying that the toys gave me a great base to work on my drawing and free hand experiments.

I'm disapointed that Hasbro never got it off the ground. You would have thought that you would come out with the series first then the toys. But i'm guessing things just never worked out. I really dont know the details, but i will say by the toys in which were made it made me feel like you guys were almost going for a light Turok feel, but if i'm not mistaken Turok probably came after development started of CE i would be wrong. Its been a while.

I dont think you would devalue them at all man. Honestly that would just make my collection even more special to me. I would deffinatly love to have them all signed especially the promo's as those were hard for me to find. I need to put something on display in my room.

Just to think i've seen you around and never would have thought it man. You learn something here at Gaf everyday.

I'll look into that book. I've been waiting to get my pens out and start with some fresh ideas in my head. That two set would have been cool. I wish i could understand more about CE though. I was confused, most likely cause the show never came out. What was the premise if you dont mind me asking. Without going to much into detail. Cause you guys had some really interesting ideas about the mixing of DNA and such that really caught me off gaurd.

EDIT:The one that got away
cc_1_b.JPG

This was one that i wanted really badly but never was able to find.

B'z-chan said:
Oh man i feel giddy. Seriously though man your work CE really inspired some of my own work, back when i was into 2-D design i really loved putting Dino's in place that they shouldn't be. Ala Dino Crisis 3. I could be honest in saying that the toys gave me a great base to work on my drawing and free hand experiments.

Wow! Don't know what to say other than that's just freakin cool. *speachless*

I'm disapointed that Hasbro never got it off the ground. You would have thought that you would come out with the series first then the toys. But i'm guessing things just never worked out. I really dont know the details, but i will say by the toys in which were made it made me feel like you guys were almost going for a light Turok feel, but if i'm not mistaken Turok probably came after development started of CE i would be wrong. Its been a while.

I think Turok came out around the same time, although we got started on CE before Turok was out. It's all fuzzy.... CE died when the cartoon deal with Spielberg's people fell through. The shows are the best commercials and without the 'big" commercial, the toyline is as good as dead unfortunately. Instead of CE show, Spielberg put his weight around that horrible horrible Invasion USA. I don't know if you ever had the displeasure of witnessing that afront to all TV animation, but it was absolutely the worst thing I've ever seen. Thankfully, that show died before we did the toys for it.

I dont think you would devalue them at all man. Honestly that would just make my collection even more special to me. I would deffinatly love to have them all signed especially the promo's as those were hard for me to find. I need to put something on display in my room.

Well, I suppose $1 a piece is as low as things can get, so it can only go up from there. ;) I found my copies for $8 Canadian when I was working in Vancouver for Mainframe Entertainment IIRC.

Just to think i've seen you around and never would have thought it man. You learn something here at Gaf everyday.

I'll look into that book. I've been waiting to get my pens out and start with some fresh ideas in my head. That two set would have been cool. I wish i could understand more about CE though. I was confused, most likely cause the show never came out. What was the premise if you dont mind me asking. Without going to much into detail. Cause you guys had some really interesting ideas about the mixing of DNA and such that really caught me off gaurd.

It was a really basic premise. Years later another INGEN rival gets a hold of their technology, and takes it a step further by mixing the DNAs (sorta by accident at first while reverse engineering the dinos with the stolen data and genetic material). They obcourse are evil so naturally they develope them as monster weapons. ;) So Malcolm (don't remeber why we chose Malcolm over the ol' Doc what's his name......) gets a team together to stop them in their evil plans. My idea was that good guy dinos were purebreds that were "trained" by Malcolm and his team to fight together where as the evil guys used mechanical (elctro shock etc) and surgical influence to control their mixed up monster dinos. LOL. Whadayawant? It's a kids' cartoon show! :p

EDIT:The one that got away
cc_1_b.JPG

This was one that i wanted really badly but never was able to find.

I have one of those out of the box at my place, and I have another one in packaging, but that's in storage back in Seattle. I'll send you mine that's here if you don't mind one out of the box.

Dead

well not really...yet
Whoa! I had all those Chaos Effect Jurassic Park toys, thats awesome, a legend is upon us :0

Nikashi

Banned
Shogmaster said:
It was a really basic premise. Years later another INGEN rival gets a hold of their technology, and takes it a step further by mixing the DNAs (sorta by accident at first while reverse engineering the dinos with the stolen data and genetic material). They obcourse are evil so naturally they develope them as monster weapons. ;) So Malcolm (don't remeber why we chose Malcolm over the ol' Doc what's his name......) gets a team together to stop them in their evil plans. My idea was that good guy dinos were purebreds that were "trained" by Malcolm and his team to fight together where as the evil guys used mechanical (elctro shock etc) and surgical influence to control their mixed up monster dinos. LOL. Whadayawant? It's a kids' cartoon show! :p
Okay, I swear to GOD there was a cartoon with the EXACT SAME PLOT (evil 'controlled' dinosaurs vs. good 'trained' ones). Not calling you unoriginal, but you just reminded me of that. The good guys 'talked' to the dinosaurs using these crystals around their necks, while the bad guys used mind control helmets. They were all 'regular' dinosaurs though.

Can anyone remember the name of the series, maybe some pics?

Dead

well not really...yet
Nikashi said:
Okay, I swear to GOD there was a cartoon with the EXACT SAME PLOT (evil 'controlled' dinosaurs vs. good 'trained' ones). Not calling you unoriginal, but you just reminded me of that. The good guys 'talked' to the dinosaurs using these crystals around their necks, while the bad guys used mind control helmets. They were all 'regular' dinosaurs though.

Dino Riders?

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs?

I have a very extensive collection of Kubricks. Too many to list, that I was very into a couple years ago. I have run out of space from collecting McFarlane/game/12 inch Military/Marvel action figure so I have more or less stopped. Now I buy odd Japanese candy prizes from time to time as a means to slow down my toy buying.

Nikashi said:

Why would you expect original premise for toy commercial shows? ;)

The only original espect of Chaos Effect was the gene spliced dinos. And that fills the one semi original concept per cartoon property quota established by the toy consortium USA. :D

BTW, I worked as a co-op/intern for guys who did toys for Cadillacs and Dinosaurs during summer breaks too. I'm dino-ed out man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom