• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision has sent a cease & desist letter to the Modern Warfare H2 Multiplayer mod

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Devs strolling up to launch tomorrow

mother GIF

winjer

Gold Member
This is why I love Valve and hate companies like Activison.
Modders can remake Valve's games, mod existing games, create new games intended only for modding, and Valve not only doesn't care, it supports them.
So many games that started as mods, and because Valve is cool with this, these are now fully fledged games. Such as Counter Strike, Moba 2, Team Fortress, Portal, Black Mesa, etc.

It's like the leadership at Activision/Blizzard takes joy in screwing with gamers.
They can't allow anyone to have a good time, especially for free.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Activision is anti-gamer scum, anyone who continues to buy their products is largely to blame for the decline of video game culture
I agree. Activision hates gamers. That's why they keep forcing Call of Duty on us year after year without our consent. No video game company who likes their customers would sell them COD every single year. They would make different games every year instead.

Kupfer

I agree. Activision hates gamers. That's why they keep forcing Call of Duty on us year after year without our consent. No video game company who likes their customers would sell them COD every single year. They would make different games every year instead.
It's a toxic relationship that's all about domination, power and money. Activision doesn't care about you, but they'll gladly take your money.

Last edited:
Modders can remake Valve's games, mod existing games, create new games intended only for modding, and Valve not only doesn't care, it supports them.
So many games that started as mods, and because Valve is cool with this, these are now fully fledged games. Such as Counter Strike, Moba 2, Team Fortress, Portal, Black Mesa, etc.

It's like the leadership at Activision/Blizzard takes joy in screwing with gamers.
Sure, enjoy it.

winjer

Gold Member

CuNi

It is insane.
For what, 10 Years now or so, everybody with access to internet and a care about modding saw what happens when you announce a mod that either infringes someone's IP or uses someone's assets etc. once it gets popular enough, and time and time again the clear consensus on the internet is and was:
"Shut the fuck up about your mod until it is published"

Weirdly, some good mods out there ignore this rule, fuck around and find out, and then all go surprised Pikachu when they get C&D letters.
I will be honest, it's a shame we lost this mod, but to be fair I am getting to a point where I shift the blame from the publishers to the modders, since they clearly do not want to learn from past mistakes.

It is insane.
For what, 10 Years now or so, everybody with access to internet and a care about modding saw what happens when you announce a mod that either infringes someone's IP or uses someone's assets etc. once it gets popular enough, and time and time again the clear consensus on the internet is and was:

Weirdly, some good mods out there ignore this rule, fuck around and find out, and then all go surprised Pikachu when they get C&D letters.
I will be honest, it's a shame we lost this mod, but to be fair I am getting to a point where I shift the blame from the publishers to the modders, since they clearly do not want to learn from past mistakes.
Mod isn't lost. There's thousands playing it right now.

Topher

Gold Member

Gotta give some love to Bethesda too. Enderal is so good. If only there were someone at Microsoft who was in charge of gaming that could make this all right.

Will Smith Reaction GIF

Three

Its odd they have left other mods up and running though
The dynamics of the industry have changed to the point where add-on content is more lucrative than selling games now. So before a free mod would make your game more attractive to buy and it would only boost revenue, now free mods make your addons you're selling in your f2p and subscription games less attractive. Add in the fact that remakes of maps and games have become popular so they may actually want to resell those maps and content and financially I can see why the greedy corporate stooges and their lawyers would shut this down.

Why should modding be relegated to some underground scene where you can't get community support on projects before release? Blame the publishers for this, the modders haven't done anything wrong.

Three

Gotta give some love to Bethesda too. Enderal is so good. If only there were someone at Microsoft who was in charge of gaming that could make this all right.

Will Smith Reaction GIF
You mean the same Bethesda who broke that other big mod expansion just before release with a useless and buggy game update? The Bethesda who repeatedly tries charging for mods in their games. Even through a now nixed Valve partnership/platform which received backlash (Valve paid creations platform launched with Elder Scrolls).

I'm sensing "making this all right" isn't as important as "making this air tight" when it comes to the business model of mostly selling addons. One that Bethesda is really at the forefront of (they invented horse armour too and set the addon content ball rolling to begin with, now they're really trying to do it with paid mods). After all what good is horse armour or 1 single mission for 10$ if you don't fight free mods in some way.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It is insane.

I don't understand why people think this would make a difference. Would the cunts at Activision have simply thrown their hands up in the air and said, "Welp, nothing we can do!" if the team had waited a few more days to reveal their mod?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't understand why people think this would make a difference. Would the cunts at Activision have simply thrown their hands up in the air and said, "Welp, nothing we can do!" if the team had waited a few more days to reveal their mod?
Some people seem to still believe that modding is still some underground thing like it was two decades ago.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I mean sure, I don't disagree, but I think they more so mean to stop giving them the heads up in the first place so everyone can enjoy the mod.

You are correct though, this won't stop Activision or something, merely delay when they order it to be taken down.
Some people seem to still believe that modding is still some underground thing like it was two decades ago.
True.

I think back in the day, developers didn't care too much about this because what they got for the game in sales, the economy etc all made sense, but right now? With how much games are worth? yea....they need entire legal teams, to protect their IP, brand etc.

Activision is anti-gamer scum, anyone who continues to buy their products is largely to blame for the decline of video game culture
I mean, who would anyone be allowed to buy games from then? I don't know of too many publishers that would be ok with this tbh.

I don't think what Activision is doing is all that wild, it is their property after all.

Topher

Gold Member

You mean the same Bethesda who broke that other big mod expansion just before release with a useless and buggy game update? The Bethesda who repeatedly tries charging for mods in their games. Even through a now nixed Valve partnership/platform which received backlash (Valve paid creations platform launched with Elder Scrolls).

I'm sensing "making this all right" isn't as important as "making this air tight" when it comes to the business model of mostly selling addons. One that Bethesda is really at the forefront of (they invented horse armour too and set the addon content ball rolling to begin with, now they're really trying to do it with paid mods). After all what good is horse armour or 1 single mission for 10$ if you don't fight free mods in some way.

I'm not saying they are perfect and do everything right. winjer winjer was referencing mods that remake games. Enderal is one of those.

Ozriel

M$FT

Bethesda was supposed to check with mod makers first before releasing a long promised updates?

They turn the other way and are fine with user created mods. That’s what this thread is about.

Three

Bethesda was supposed to check with mod makers first before releasing a long promised updates?

They turn the other way and are fine with user created mods. That’s what this thread is about.
No but I'm referring to their inability to work with them for the Fallout London release. That's a stark contrast to things like Black Mesa. Bethesda also has tried to monetise mods.

I'm not saying they are perfect and do everything right. winjer winjer was referencing mods that remake games. Enderal is one of those.

Yeah but Enderal isn't really getting any official support like some Valve mod that winjer was referring to.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah but Enderal isn't really getting any official support like some Valve mod that winjer was referring to.

But they also didn't send cease and desist letters and let the project continue. In this day and age, that's not nothing.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Modders need to focus on the joy of the game, taking away or adding features was never the message behind a game.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
But they also didn't send cease and desist letters and let the project continue. In this day and age, that's not nothing.
I said this in the other thread on this subject but I think it bares repeating here

Was told by someone that was super close to Acti at one point one of the main guys working on this H2M mod was helping people pirate the COD game needed for this mod plus was hosting links to COD cheats in his Discord

Allegedly

Topher

Gold Member
I said this in the other thread on this subject but I think it bares repeating here

Was told by someone that was super close to Acti at one point one of the main guys working on this H2M mod was helping people pirate the COD game needed for this mod plus was hosting links to COD cheats in his Discord

Allegedly

Ah...ok. I wasn't pointing fingers at Acti specifically, just that deploying lawyers seems to be the kneejerk reaction for many corporations. In cases like that, it is certainly warranted, imo.

CuNi

Mod isn't lost. There's thousands playing it right now.

Never said it's lost, but every site so far I read said it was shutdown a day before release, which to me would imply that the version circulating the internet is not the final release version which might have included more/other things.
At the end of the day, it is something that the modders put their time into that will never see the light of day now.
Why should modding be relegated to some underground scene where you can't get community support on projects before release? Blame the publishers for this, the modders haven't done anything wrong.

It shouldn't but what good is a mod that the creator spend hours and hours upon end if it never gets released.

No, but it would be out there in the way the modders wanted it to be. Let's go even a bit further, why can't they also open source the mod once they release it so that even after they get C&D, the mod lives out there and the community builds upon it. If things are out there once, they'll stay there forever.

Top Bottom