• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actor Anthony Anderson charged with aggravated rape

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuri

Banned
vert.anderson.jpg

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (CNN) -- Actor Anthony Anderson, who appeared in the films "Me, Myself and Irene" and "Barbershop," was charged Wednesday with aggravated rape after a woman told authorities she was assaulted on the set of a movie.

[...]

Shular said an extra told deputies that she was "lured into a production trailer" by Witherspoon. She told authorities that Anderson was already in the trailer and that both men sexually assaulted her, Shular said.

"Witnesses reported seeing the woman leave the trailer screaming and without her clothes," Shular said.

03-11-arnold.jpg

"I needed vacations anyway!"

Tuvoc said:
the bitch is probably making it up.

Several people witness the girl running out of his trailer naked and screaming/crying. I believe he is pretty much fuxxored unless there's some incredible stuff coming in his defense soon.

ge-man

What the hell was he thinking? They're going to put him under the jail unless he has an OJ level defense team waiting in the wings.

Yossarian

pnjtony said:
Well aren't we the victim blaming society here? Shame.
Well isn't he innocent until proven guilty in a court of law? Shame. I can match you cliche for cliche all day.

Listen you moron, what he said is not blaming the victim but rather not neccessarily believing the accusation.

Blaming the victim requires a belief that the accusation occured but that it was really her fault: "She deserved it, that slut. You could tell she wanted it from the clothes she was wearing."

Goddamn, I hate it when people treat it as if its fucking beyond belief that a rape accusation could be false and anyone who says otherwise is "blaming the victim". We don't have the facts and cannot make any judgements on what happened.

Jim Bowie

Shogmaster said:
Several people witness the girl running out of his trailer naked and screaming/crying. I believe he is pretty much fuxxored unless there's some incredible stuff coming in his defense soon.

I'm seeing how the defense will spin it now. "A girl tries to seduce both actors into casual sex, she gets naked, and all of a sudden flies out the door, screaming and crying the whole way. She really just wants the money!"

But this is a shame, really. I don't see how actors/athletes get away with this malarky. But when the hammer drops on these guys, I hope it hits hard.

FoneBone

His career was a joke as it was:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0026364/
Actor - filmography
(In Production) (2000s) (1990s)

All American Game (2004) (in production)
Hustle & Flow (2005) (pre-production) .... Key
King's Ransom (2005) (filming)
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle (2004) .... Burger Shack Employee
Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London (2004) .... Derek
My Baby's Daddy (2004) .... G
Scary Movie 3 (2003) .... Mahalik
"All About the Andersons" (2003) TV Series .... Anthony Anderson
Malibu's Most Wanted (2003) .... PJ
Cradle 2 the Grave (2003) .... Tommy
Kangaroo Jack (2003) .... Louis Booker
Barbershop (2002) .... J.D.
Two Can Play That Game (2001) .... Tony
Exit Wounds (2001) .... T. K. Johnson
See Spot Run (2001) .... Benny
Kingdom Come (2001/I) .... Junior Slocumb
Urban Legends: Final Cut (2000) .... Stan
... aka Légendes urbaines 2 (2000) (Canada: French title)
... aka Légendes urbaines: La suite (2000) (Canada: French title)
... aka Leyendas urbanas: Corte final (2000) (USA: Spanish title)
Me, Myself & Irene (2000) .... Jamaal Baileygates
Big Momma's House (2000) .... Nolan
... aka Big Mamas Haus (2000) (Germany)
Romeo Must Die (2000) .... Maurice
Liberty Heights (1999) .... Scribbles
Trippin' (1999) .... Z-Boy
Life (1999) .... Cookie
"Hang Time" (1995) TV Series .... Theodore 'Teddy' Brodis (1996-1998)
Alien Avengers (1996) (TV) .... Alley Hood #2
... aka Roger Corman Presents 'Alien Avengers' (1996) (TV)
... aka Welcome to Planet Earth (1996) (TV) (video title)

border

Uhhhh, I think they are going to need more than a naked girl screaming to convict this guy. The defense can just say she was hopped up on goofballs and flipped out....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'd just like to point out that the presumption of innocence (or, "innocent until proven guilty") only applies to jurors in a criminal trial, no one else. The Constitution does not mandate that everyone in society presume someone is innocent until a jury finds otherwise; even if a jury does find otherwise, anyone is entitled to think differently. Yet for some reason, many people (talk show pundits typically, even those who profess to be well-educated about the law) think that we have no right to think what we want to think until a jury or trial uncovers the magical "truth." There's a good article about it here if you're interested:

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/colb/20020617.html

GDGF

Soothsayer
LOL@ Ninja Scooter

He was funny as hell in Malibu's Most Wanted. Sucks if he did it. Things don't sound too good...

Brannon

Leaving rape completely out of it, he's a fucking idiot for being with another naked lady AT ALL.

Is it really THAT HARD to keep a positive profile when you're in the public eye? Fuck.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
AstroLad said:
Yet for some reason, many people (talk show pundits typically, even those who profess to be well-educated about the law) think that we have no right to think what we want to think until a jury or trial uncovers the magical "truth."

I've never gotten that impression from anyone, on tv or in person. Just cause someone brings up "he's innocent til proven guilty" doesn't mean they're saying you're not allowed to believe whatever the hell you want. I really don't get how you made that assumption.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
levious said:
I've never gotten that impression from anyone, on tv or in person. Just cause someone brings up "he's innocent til proven guilty" doesn't mean they're saying you're not allowed to believe whatever the hell you want. I really don't get how you made that assumption.

What the fuck?

I don't know, why don't you read the article?

levious

someone cites the, "he's innocent til proven guilty" thing in a conversation doesn't mean they're trying to tell you you're not allowed to believe what you want. They're merely arguing for patience in personal judgment. Do you really feel that when someone mentions this they're trying to impede on your right to think freely?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
levious said:
someone cites the, "he's innocent til proven guilty" thing in a conversation doesn't mean they're trying to tell you you're not allowed to believe what you want. They're merely arguing for patience in personal judgment. Do you really feel that when someone mentions this they're trying to impede on your right to think freely?

If you watch television or read editorial columns, people respond to others thinking someone may be guilty before trial by saying, "no, he's innocent until proven guilty!" This is to what I'm referring. It's not exactly a rare phenomenon; turn on any news channel for a few hours and you'll see it. This is why someone actually took the time to write a whole article about the idea.

levious

I'm not saying I've never seen it used in an argument... I was more responding to your specific claim that some people think we have no right to think what we want until a verdict is rendered.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
levious said:
I'm not saying I've never seen it used in an argument... I was more responding to your specific claim that some people think we have no right to think what we want until a verdict is rendered.

AstroLad said:
If you watch television or read editorial columns, people respond to others thinking someone may be guilty before trial by saying, "no, he's innocent until proven guilty!" This is to what I'm referring.

Are you trying to practice your debating skills or something? Jesus.

levious

what?

Why are you getting aggravated?

You said that some people think that we have no right to believe what we want because he's innocent until proven guilty... that's specifically what I was trying to clarify, since I really doubt anyone really thinks that.

If that's not exactly what you meant, I'm sorry.

I apologize if I'm not smart enough to have a conversation with you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
levious said:
what?

Why are you getting aggravated?

You said that some people think that we have no right to believe what we want because he's innocent until proven guilty... that's specifically what I was trying to clarify, since I really doubt anyone really thinks that.

You give people (e.g. talk show hosts) far too much credit.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
FoneBone said:
His career was a joke as it was:

For that career to be a joke, he has been in alot of money making movies. I am thinking alot of actors would love to have that much work and involved in that many hits.

I met him at a party here in Houston. He seemed alright, he was making eyes at my girl though. If there is physical evidence, he is screwed in this case though. A naked woman running out of a trailer screaming and crying is not exactly an innocent situation.

bionic77

dskillzhtown said:
For that career to be a joke, he has been in alot of money making movies. I am thinking alot of actors would love to have that much work and involved in that many hits.

I met him at a party here in Houston. He seemed alright, he was making eyes at my girl though. If there is physical evidence, he is screwed in this case though. A naked woman running out of a trailer screaming and crying is not exactly an innocent situation.

Just because it is reported in the media doesn't mean it is true. There were so many factual inaccuracies about the Kobe case the first few weeks it came out. Remember the whole "terrible vaginal injuries" and people could hear her screaming on other floors, it all turned out to be total bullshit and at this moment I wouldn't be surprised if they dismissed the case now. Of course I don't know what happened in this case yet and we won't know until the trial occurs (unless they leak everything like they did in Eagle).

levious

so this thread can be summed up in three words... Kobe is innocent!

MASB

Originally Posted by levious:

bionic77 said:
Kobex Jr.? ;) The GAF Kobe contingent is hilarious. Not because of some of their points about some evidence (which they are probably right on), but that many of them had the same opinion on Kobe's innocence before anything started looking bad for the prosecution's side in the first place.

And I agree with Astrolad to the extent, that some people do treat 'innocent until proven gulity' as some sort of sacred cow. Like, if someone was found innocent, even if it was on a technicality, some people act like somehow the criminal (if he was indeed gulity) is somehow vindicated and cleared by an innocent verdict. Legally speaking, yes, but he's still gulity. Some people act like, if a person is found innocent or gulity, then that person must be indeed innocent or gulity. And that's not necessarily the case at all.

As for AA, assuming the report is right, then he's screwed and deserves whatever he gets (though that won't be much I'm sure, knowing our legal system and semi-celebrites). If the report is false as some have acted like or feel, then that's a whole different story.

bionic77

MASB said:
Originally Posted by levious:

Kobex Jr.? ;) The GAF Kobe contingent is hilarious. Not because of some of their points about some evidence (which they are probably right on), but that many of them had the same opinion on Kobe's innocence before anything started looking bad for the prosecution's side in the first place.

And I agree with Astrolad to the extent, that some people do treat 'innocent until proven gulity' as some sort of sacred cow. Like, if someone was found innocent, even if it was on a technicality, some people act like somehow the criminal (if he was indeed gulity) is somehow vindicated and cleared by an innocent verdict. Legally speaking, yes, but he's still gulity. Some people act like, if a person is found innocent or gulity, then that person must be indeed innocent or gulity. And that's not necessarily the case at all.

As for AA, assuming the report is right, then he's screwed and deserves whatever he gets (though that won't be much I'm sure, knowing our legal system and semi-celebrites). If the report is false as some have acted like or feel, then that's a whole different story.

Actually, I assumed he was guilty at first. I followed the whole thing almost religiously since the beginning. The news that came out at first was really bad like I said before, so take it with a grain of salt as 90% of that stuff turned out to be either grossly exaggerated or totally untrue. At the same time, there were also a lot of lies about the alleged victim as well in the beginning. All I am saying is that don't make up your mind before you see the evidence. Though a naked lady running out of a trailer screaming is not what you would call "good" evidence for Anderson IF it is true.

Cloudy

Banned
Charges dropped today. Too bad it won't be splashed all over the news like his arrest was....

http://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...524.story?coll=sns-ap-entertainment-headlines

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A judge dismissed rape charges against "Barbershop" actor Anthony Anderson on Wednesday, saying testimony by his accuser was some of the most "suspicious" he has ever heard.

Judge Anthony Johnson said the woman's testimony at a preliminary hearing did not produce probable cause to let the charges stand.

"This is absolutely the most suspicious case I've ever heard," the judge said.

Defense lawyers said the 25-year-old woman accused Anderson in hopes of getting money from him. The judge "thought this case needs to be stopped and stopped right now," defense attorney Leslie Ballin said.[/b]

The woman was seeking a job as an extra in the film "Hustle & Flow" when she accused Anderson and assistant director Wayne Witherspoon of attacking her in a trailer on the movie set.

A rape charge also was dismissed against Witherspoon.

Testifying to the judge, the woman acknowledged having sex with both Anderson and Witherspoon over a period of several days before the reported attack. She said those encounters also were forced but she didn't report them.

Anthony is the rotund comic co-star of "Kangaroo Jack" and the original "Barbershop," in which he portrayed a thief who is seen throughout the movie trying to get away with an automatic teller machine.

Anderson and Witherspoon refused comment on their lawyer's advice as they left the courtroom.

Allan Mayer, a spokesman for Anderson, said the charges were obviously "trumped-up."

"That said, this has been a terrible ordeal for him and his family, and he is eager to put it behind him and move on with his life and career," Mayer said.

The state prosecutor's office said no decision had been made on whether to pursue the case again.

"We learned more at the preliminary hearing than we knew before," said spokeswoman Jennifer Donnals. "We'll look at all the evidence and make a decision."

(LEADS throughout to correct quote in lead to 'suspicious' sted 'incredulous'; ADDS comment from defense, prosecution, background about suspect)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom