• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adjusting PS2 laser voltage to fix DRE's

Thaedolus

So I found a walkthrough to do this on IGN, but the description they give seems off. Are there any other sites with walkthroughs on doing this, or possibly diagrams? I'd appreciate it, my PS2 is in a thousand pieces on my counter right now waiting to be fixed

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
You guys do know that Sony repairs DREs for free, even if your warranty period is up, right? Unless, of course, you've twiddled with the insides of the PS2 already (mod chip, your own custom DRE fix, whatever).

BuddyC

Right, but it's damn annoying to send it off, especially when you've done it once or twice. Plus my roommate was dumb enough to peel off his seal "beause I was bored."

Catalyst

Banned
Wow, I'm the only one I know whose PS2 hasn't fucked up on him at all since the time of purchase. I must be really lucky (March 2002). Maybe I should send in my shit anyway just for the hell of it and extend the life of my PS2. Heh heh heh.

I will warn you though that your PS2 is just getting a jolt of life. I got 6-7 additional months after my first voltage adjustment before it completely died and no matter how much juice I let run through could fix it. Same thing happened to two other friends, one of whom I did the adjustment for. So enjoy the extra time now and either start stockpiling an extra $150 for down the road or send it in to Sony like I did.

Top Bottom