• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advise needed from UK gaers

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my ga brethren in the UK,
I'm going to visit my aunt in London for a few days, and I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. What to people wear in London? How can I not be IDed as a tourist? I did a GIS for englishman and found this:

englishman.jpg

is that the style? Please help.

*edit: damnit, advise = advice

SFA_AOK

If you're going to be in London, then you're going to have a helluva time sticking out seeing as there are already tons of different styles and fashions on the street as it is.

As long as you don't go around with a camera draped around your neck and resting on top of a large belly, wearing a striped polo shirt, a pair of shorts shorts, baseball cap and glasses, I'm sure you'll be OK :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Of course, if you *really* want to blend in, you have to go "Chav" :D

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/

Or, as Goldie Lookin' Chain call it, "Supermarket Chic"

Dress like this and your SURE to make friends and influence people ;)

Freeburn.

(Warning: Post contains unhealthy amounts of sarcasm, dilute to tase.)

Koshiro

Normal clothes would be a good start. There are many cultures in UK, especially in London (I challenge you to find an actual Londoner there), so you'd have to really go out of your way to stand out.

Gek54

What has Ali G started??? I didnt think anything could be worse than a white American frat boy trying to thug it but now I have seen the Chavs. LOL

This cant be real
june041.jpg

8bit

Knows the Score
Gek54 said:
What has Ali G started??? I didnt think anything could be worse than a white American frat boy trying to thug it but now I have seen the Chavs. LOL

This cant be real
june041.jpg

Wow. New wallpaper get!

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Suerte said:
Up in Scotland, we call them "Neds"

You just dragged me back about 15 years...

logoblip.gif

... and in searching for this image I find that they've reformed.

Oh God NO...

Freeburn.

(Who actually liked them, and should keep his mouth shut if he wants more work in the future, I was kidding Alex, honest!)

Koshiro

Suerte said:
I just remember some MSP wanted the word "ned" banned, haha
Has anyone told you where the word originally came from? Because I haven't the faintest, it just started appearing one day.

Deg

Banned
lilraylewis said:
To my ga brethren in the UK,
I'm going to visit my aunt in London for a few days, and I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. What to people wear in London? How can I not be IDed as a tourist? I did a GIS for englishman and found this:

englishman.jpg

is that the style? Please help.

*edit: damnit, advise = advice

There are plenty of tourists as well but follow the usual rules you would expect and dont let anything bad happen to you. Become fmailiar with some stuff like our accents and langauge differences. Then you have things like we drive on the other side of the road compared to America. Taxi's cost alot of money in the UK so use trains(quickest) to get around.

In Northern Ireland they are refered to as Steeks (males) and Millies (females) the only problem is the majority of the population is one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom