• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akira Yamaoka > you

An Akira Yamaoka appreciation thread....

guy or girl, i dont know, just know whoever it is is japanese and just a great great great great producer.

I am just listening to the silent hill osts and im still in awe at how good some of this stuff is........either that or Im just in awe cause im high right now, but still its great stuff.

peace

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
SH2 & SH3 are my favorite game soundtracks. SH4 had some good tracks but 2/3 were awesome.

Mooreberg said:
SH2 & SH3 are my favorite game soundtracks. SH4 had some good tracks but 2/3 were awesome.
I havent heard nor played SH4 but i will soon...

but i have to agree, SH2 and SH3 is what im listening too now and i love it and the songs make me remember different parts of the games.

you should check out the FEW songs he did for SH1. Most of the SH1 stuff is like ambient sounds and scary mood sounds but there are a few songs on there and they are really good.

peace

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
he asked me yesterday why there are so many first-person shooters in america. i didn't really have an answer for him.

he also said that he wants john carmack on his team for the next silent hill, as he thinks doom 3 looks nice. ;)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Akira = guy's name.

Although that's been established already

now if it was Akari on the other hand...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GaimeGuy said:
Akira = guy's name.

Although that's been established already

now if it was Akari on the other hand...

there are plenty of girls named akira also.

Yusaku

^^^Like Akira Fubuki. :D

chespace said:
he asked me yesterday why there are so many first-person shooters in america. i didn't really have an answer for him.

he also said that he wants john carmack on his team for the next silent hill, as he thinks doom 3 looks nice. ;)

At one point I would've said it was for the enhanced control, but that wouldn't explain the popularity of FPS games on consoles now.

I think the fundamental difference in philosophy between US and Japanese game designers--for all games, not just FPS games--is that Japanese games give you a specific role to play, while US games let you define that role more. You'd never see a main character like Master Chief or the Doom marine in a Japanese game, they're way too genereic. I imagine at least one reason why Japanese gamers/developers don't like FPS games is because it removes you from the character's design (you can't see your character except during cutscenes).

RPGs are similar. By and large the most customization you'll have of your characters in a Japanese RPG is to change their name. Ever wonder why not very many Japanese RPG characters have their appearance change to reflect the armor they're wearing? Japanese developers create these characters and situations for you to experience, with minimal wiggle room. While US RPGs are usually all about options, from the story to the characters, it's your adventure to create.

These are generalizations of course, but it's what I see as the major difference in perspective between US and Japanese developers.

In a nutshell: Japanese like design and structure, US likes immersion and customization.

Top Bottom