• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Algae Bloom the size of Massachusetts swamps China's coasts [gross video inside]

Status
Not open for further replies.
china-hit-by-largest-ever-algae-bloom.jpg

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMNLDHpbN-M
Link and video: http://www.livescience.com/37987-algae-bloom-swamps-chinese-beaches.html

LiveScience said:
Carpets of bright green algae have overwhelmed beaches in eastern China's Shandong province due to this summer's huge Yellow Sea bloom.

Video footage from the resort city of Qingdao showed bathers braving the algae infiltration, swimming among stringy mats and carrying out handfuls of the material, known as "sea lettuce" in China, according to The New York Times.

This type of green algae, enteromorpha prolifera, is not toxic to people, but it can suck up huge amounts of oxygen, choking marine life. And when it rots, it can smell quite foul.
Warm sea temperatures and pollution are thought to fuel the algae growth, as the organisms can feed on nutrients like phosphates and nitrates in fertilizer runoff and sewage.

xbhaskarx

The Chinese will start eating the algae, and then in fifteen years all algae species worldwide will be on the brink of extinction.

WTF China. Get some fucking regulations in order. I can only assume this is from massive amounts of fertilizer run-off at best and possibly the dumping of various waste chemicals that algae love.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
quick, someone come up with a marketing gimmick that this will purify and soften your skin after swimming in it.

charge $150 for every half hour swim and sell that shit hard.

paile

Banned
I remember seeing the yellow sea when I was in China. I walked to the shoreline and along a pier. Fog everywhere. The locals were stunned to see a westerner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom