• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Hominid preview @ IGN

gunstarhero

Some good impressions, and seems to be on the hard side:

People pressed to play through Metal Slug for the first time will find that amazing shooter a trial, but even if you fancy yourself the most expert of sidescrolling wizards, you'll have trouble with Alien Hominid. As far as we've been able to play in a few hours time, we've encountered no less than six bosses (all completely unique in the way they act and the way they must be defeated) and have a faced a multitude of tough enemies, both ground and air-based. At times, our little alien fellow on a quest to rebuild his ship and rid the Earth of the unnecessarily aggressive men in black, will find himself fending off rappelling troops, shielded enemies, missile attacks, and a lot of typically slow moving green bullets (everyone needs some kind of a chance to survive). It gets darn crazy.

They do mentioned the game has some slowdown/choppy framerate when the action gets crazy...hope thats fixed:

Currently, there are still a few problems with the game. First and most confusingly, it chops up. There is noticeable slow down when the screen shifts or when the action gets to heavy, which is a little odd, because it's technically on-par with ultra high-end Flash stuff. Second, it's often way to difficult to avoid enemy fire, not because there are too many enemies, but rather because the little green pellets they shoot blend into the background and can be become almost invisible, especially when there are any sort of foreground items present.

Here's the full preview

Matlock

Banned
With the resolution of the sprites and the (now here's a big assumption) mostly inexperienced with consoles programmers, you'll see slowdown.

But then again, stuff will get really crazy.

Razoric

Banned
Well I have a bit of info for you guys... buy the GC version.

Cant say much more. Just trust me.

:)

edit: whoops :O

ge-man

Razoric said:
Well I have a bit of info for you guys... buy the Xbox or GC version.

There's an Xbox version?

Are you sure that you haven't said too much already (if you actually know what's going on)?

Culex

Banned
Razoric said:
Well I have a bit of info for you guys... buy the Xbox or GC version.

There is no Xbox version. Check out the official site for yourself. No mention of it.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
If the flash game is anything to go by I think the game will be too hard for casuals. Hell, it might even be too hard for experienced gamers.

LakeEarth

I'm gonna buy this game. I dunno if I'm l33t enough to beat the thing (prolly not), but you gotta support Newsgrounds somehow without buying those silly stamps.

Razoric

Banned
Another Flash game is being made into a console game... Johnny Rocketfingers. This should let all you aspiring game programmers know that Flash isn't as bad as people say it is. And it's good practice for game programming. :)

Culex

Banned
Razoric said:
All 3 are programmed. :)

Today O~3 announced it is taking custody of “Alien Hominid,” a short yellow alien with spherical black beady eyes, three teeth, and a little green gun. O~3 and game developer, The Behemoth, intend to feature Alien Hominid in its very own videogame for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and Nintendo GameCube™.

Razoric

Banned
programmed... whatever is behind the release im not caught up to speed.

I'll post his public words:

"In fact, we are working on versions for all three - PS2, XBOX and Gamecube!"

Culex

Banned
It might be programmed, but the publisher hasn't picked it up for the Xbox. Some other publisher will have to then.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Matlock said:
I'm afraid you're looking for "Does."

Screw your American crap!

Not really, but the difference is obvious. Generally in Britain we treat collective nouns as plural (we're talking about the people in the company), you treat it as singular.

Agent X

Razoric said:
Well I have a bit of info for you guys... buy the GC version.

Matlock said:
I think Razoric takes a little bit of precedence here, what with his ties to Newgrounds and all. :p

OK, now I'm curious. Is there something wrong with the PlayStation 2 version that we should know about? I've been looking forward to getting this on the PS2 (don't have GameCube or X-Box), but I don't want to find out it was a half-hearted development effort.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
heavy liquid said:
As far as the Xbox version, I just noticed this:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=210694
Don't put too much faith in that link. At one point, this game was thought to be coming to the Xbox, but so far that hasn't happened. It probably was thrown in from the old rumors.

To top that off, Gamestop has only the Xbox version in their database. Where are the PS2 and GCN versions? The 2 versions that have been announced.

Agent X

EB Games now has a link to the PlayStation 2 version:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245574.asp

I'm still curious as to why Razoric (who's supposedly "in the know" here--see Matlock's comment) is discouraging people from buying the PS2 version. Is the PS2 version going to be a shoddy, rushed, or crippled effort from the developers? If this is going to be the case (as Razoric seems to be hinting), then I'll just keep that $29.99 in my pocket, thank you.

Soul4ger

It's discouraging that the GC version doesn't have a listing yet at EB... That could mean they just plan on stocking the PS2 one, like they did with Ribbit King, Blowout, or one of tens of other games...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I find it scary that I have better odds of finding games at Fry's and Wal-Mart than at EB or Gamestop these days.

IgeL

I just went to newgrounds.com and saw an ad for Alien Hominid... What's interesting is that there's a text saying: "Coming soon to a console nearyou. Get the dirt. Stay informed. Buy cool stuff." Stay informed is in green font, others are blue and purple...

thorns

Banned
super_hominid_1.gif

Top Bottom