• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Polaris |OT| A Horror Adventure Game Of Pointy Clicky Terrors

title.jpg

In the midst of the snowfields of Greenland lies Alpha Polaris™, an American oil research station. High above, the ion storm of the century is gathering, bringing about a strange intermixing of reality and night terrors.

A quick thread for this indie point&click adventure that was released abit under the radar. It's awesome to see some developers still breathe life into the old genre :D

DEVELOPED BY:

Turmoil Games​

RELEASE:

Digital download - http://www.turmoilgames.com/ 15.95 EUR . 19.95 USD (plus tax if applicable)
Physical copy(bulk dvd) - http://www.turmoilgames.com/ 23.45 EUR . 29.95 USD (plus tax if applicable)​

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:

• Intel P4 or AMD Athlon 64 processor
• 1GB system memory
• Graphics card with DirectX 9 support
• 1280*800 display resolution
• 700MB hard disk space

title2.jpg

FEATURES
• Mature, character-driven storyline
• Streamlined point & click interface
• Puzzles are an integral part of the story
• 3D characters in beautiful, pre-rendered scenes
• Full spoken dialogue
• 1280x800 widescreen resolution
• Expressive, hand-drawn dialogue portraits
• Atmospheric soundscape including an original soundtrack

TRAILER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDYEqHAKz8

SCREENSHOTS

screens.jpg

amdnv

This looks awesome, except for the weird cartoon close-ups that don't seem to fit the style at all. I'd buy it if it hits Steam.

Zeouterlimits said:
A-ha! A demo I shall try.

Would like a Steam version & the premise is immediately too close to Penumbra. Yes, it's not original for either, but having recently played Penumbra...

Yeah im quite sure the game was inspired by Penumbra and Amnesia. Or the old Prisoner of Ice :D

GhaleonQ

I've wanted to try this, but I'm catching up on some past stuff. I don't trust Adventure Gamers reviews these days (though the website's still great), so I really want to know if I should make time for this soon. Post impressions!

BluWacky

GhaleonQ said:
I've wanted to try this, but I'm catching up on some past stuff. I don't trust Adventure Gamers reviews these days (though the website's still great)

Seriously. I bought A New Beginning because of them, despite being disappointed with The Whispered World... :(

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
GhaleonQ said:
I've wanted to try this, but I'm catching up on some past stuff. I don't trust Adventure Gamers reviews these days (though the website's still great), so I really want to know if I should make time for this soon. Post impressions!

Same. They gave Kaptain Brawe four stars out of five, saying that the game should last twenty hours or more (it's actually closer to 5 in the reality I'm living in) and mentioning the four planets that were part of the bullet points (you only really have three planets in the game, with the fourth being a planet that you briefly visit for a conversation). But besides the factual errors, the game wasn't all that interesting either with a forced attempt at humor and weak puzzle design.

Anyway, I bought Alpha Polaris just now.

ShaneB

Looks awesome to me. Adventure game, plus I'm a sucker for any game that has a snow setting.

I'll check out the demo later.

Boerseun

Banned
The trailer doesn't do it for me. Based on dialogue, animation and body language, the main character seems like some kind of slacker kid and not someone I would want to play as. The American camp setting also seems a case of bad judgment. Surely these developers must realise that it is Europe (especially Germany) driving the adventure game market nowadays, and not America. And do we really care what happens to these douchebags when they are despoiling the pristine snowy wilderness with their oil prospecting?

Teknoman

Boerseun said:
The trailer doesn't do it for me. Based on dialogue, animation and body language, the main character seems like some kind of slacker kid and not someone I would want to play as. The American camp setting also seems a case of bad judgment. Surely these developers must realise that it is Europe (especially Germany) driving the adventure game market nowadays, and not America. And do we really care what happens to these douchebags when they are despoiling the pristine snowy wilderness with their oil prospecting?

I'm not sure if you're serious...

Boerseun said:

I see.

gdt

Boerseun said:

Apparently the physical copy they sell is still just a bulk dvd, so it's not an actual boxed copy. Though there seems to be plans on releasing it in stores in Russia and maybe the UK.

Russian cover:
AlphaPolaris_f.jpg

Boerseun said:
Pretty rude social discrimination there buddy.

Looks like an interesting game, I'll grab the demo and hopefully they can get it up on Steam so they can reach the huge audience base.

Boerseun

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Pretty rude social discrimination there buddy.

I have a strong work ethic. Therefore I cannot stand slackers. And I certainly won't buy a videogame where I'm forced to play as what appears to be a slacker.

And you have fun getting all that oil! What's the natural environment to you, right? Just remember, when Cthulhu comes don't expect me to play you out of a sticky situation.

Boerseun said:
I have a strong work ethic. Therefore I cannot stand slackers. And I certainly won't buy a videogame where I'm forced to play as what appears to be a slacker.

And you have fun getting all that oil! What's the natural environment to you, right? Just remember, when Cthulhu comes don't expect me to play you out of a sticky situation.

Well played.

Anyway, I've just completed this game and enjoyed it for the most part. Some of the puzzles suffer from bad cases of Adventure Game Logic, but for a small development team they did a solid job. However, I feel like I should point out that it's also a shameless rip-off of the 2006 film 'The Last Winter'.

Edit: Perhaps shameless is a bit strong, but it certainly presents verrrry similar themes and situations.

Shadow of the BEAST said:
can you play it with a controller?

i play games only on htpc.
yes. anything on pc can be played on controller of course. just mouse emulate on analog stick through xpadder or something.

Mister_Bubbles said:
Well played.

Anyway, I've just completed this game and enjoyed it for the most part. Some of the puzzles suffer from bad cases of Adventure Game Logic, but for a small development team they did a solid job. However, I feel like I should point out that it's also a shameless rip-off of the 2006 film 'The Last Winter'.

Edit: Perhaps shameless is a bit strong, but it certainly presents verrrry similar themes and situations.

Hah, does sound like a dead ringer. Gotta check that movie out. Maybe it was originally supposed to be a movie tie-in but the deal got cancelled! :D

Top Bottom