• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Always online services suck

winjer

Gold Member
This past week, Portugal experienced several major forest fires across the entire country. The situation became so severe that it created a massive smoke cloud visible from space.

BOXRfm3.jpeg

I live in one of the affected areas, with raging fires all around.
During the night of the 17th to the 18th, two fires burned the forested area around my village, one coming within 1 km and the other less than 200 m from my house.
Several houses were directly threatened by the fires, and the police had to evacuate many people from their homes.
This meant that electricity and internet infrastructure were destroyed. Fortunately, the power company managed to fix this very quickly, so we only had one day without electricity.
We are still without internet, landline, and TV services. My ISP has been working to restore the infrastructure for the past week, and we expect it to be up and running soon.
This is why I haven’t been participating much in this forum.

I had Steam, the EA app, and GOG installed. Both Steam and GOG allowed me to play in offline mode.
Because of that, I was still able to play some of the games I had installed, such as Cyberpunk 2077, Dark Souls 3, Elden Ring, Civilization VI, Braid, and a couple more.
However, the EA app refused to work, so I was unable to play any games there, even single-player ones. This really sucks and was a stark reminder of how “always online” games are a terrible thing for consumers.
This is also why cable and streaming services can be a terrible option for consumers, as they remove the convenience of always being available that physical media has.

A massive fire might be an exceptional event, but it’s still a reminder that when things go wrong, we lose access to all the media we own, be it games, movies, TV, music, etc.
But a fire is just one way these services can go away, so our access to our media is never safe.

Fires raging all around, real danger of getting cooked to a crisp, better check my game launchers

This Is Fine GIF

I mean you are right about forced online, but damn dude, get your priorities straight :messenger_grinning_sweat:

winjer

Gold Member
Not to be a dick but you got a fire 200 meters from your house and were worried about not being able to play EA games? Man, always online sucks but you gotta rethink your priorities.

I was worried about the fire when it was ragging. And I spent most of that night awake, seeing burning leaves dropping around my backyard.
Me and my neighbours were out in the street watching, powerless as the forest was burning.
We only found about the lack of internet and TV, much later.
When the fires were settled, that is when the lack of internet became an issue, as we were trying to get back to normal.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Didn't Portugal import and grow masses and masses of highly flammable Eucalyptus trees and that's why they keep getting forest fires?

winjer

Gold Member
Didn't Portugal import and grow masses and masses of highly flammable Eucalyptus trees and that's why they keep getting forest fires?

Yes. And very lax laws regarding setting fires. A police force that is poorly equipped and motivated. A poor forest policy.

Just for context, every year we have massive forest fires. Often, Portugal has the biggest area of burned forest in the whole of the EU, despite being one of the smallest countries.
In 2017, a massive fire killed 66 people and injured 250. And despite that nothing changed.
Our politicians are incompetent and corrupt, so very little is done.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Yes. And very lax laws regarding setting fires. A police force that is poorly equipped and motivated. A poor forest policy.

Just for context, every year we have massive forest fires. Often, Portugal has the biggest area of burned forest in the whole of the EU, despite being one of the smallest countries.
In 2017, a massive fire killed 66 people and injured 250. And despite that nothing changed.
Our politicians are incompetent and corrupt, so very little is done.
You aren't alone. I think California and Israel did similar things which is why they happen their more and more as well.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I was worried about the fire when it was ragging. And I spent most of that night awake, seeing burning leaves dropping around my backyard.
Me and my neighbours were out in the street watching, powerless as the forest was burning.
We only found about the lack of internet and TV, much later.
When the fires were settled, that is when the lack of internet became an issue, as we were trying to get back to normal.
You were watching the fire come toward you? Were you unable to leave? That must have been pretty terrifying having fire 200 meters away and not being able to leave.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
You aren't alone. I think California and Israel did similar things which is why they happen their more and more as well.

California's wild fire is mainly due to a mix of draught, excessive heat and poor power line maintenance I think. that and the occasional arson or baby gender reveal gone wrong.

Cyberpunkd

I had Steam, the EA app, and GOG installed. Both Steam and GOG allowed me to play in offline mode.
Because of that, I was still able to play some of the games I had installed, such as Cyberpunk 2077, Dark Souls 3, Elden Ring, Civilization VI, Braid, and a couple more.
However, the EA app refused to work, so I was unable to play any games there, even single-player ones.
Stop giving EA your money. The launcher is absolute shit and it breaks each time the monkeys working their product department update it for absolutely no fucking reason than to mess with you.

Again:

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

winjer

Gold Member
You were watching the fire come toward you? Were you unable to leave? That must have been pretty terrifying having fire 200 meters away and not being able to leave.

It was scary for me, but it was much worse for the neighbours that had their houses near the fires.
My house still had a few streets to cut the fire. And the firefighters did an amazing work controlling the fires and saving properties.
Those guys are absolute heroes. And the best we could do at the time, was to give them something to eat and drink.

So despite the proximity, the risk for my house was comparatively low.

winjer

Gold Member
Stop giving EA your money. The launcher is absolute shit and it breaks each time the monkeys working their product department update it for absolutely no fucking reason than to mess with you.

Again:

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

I only was playing one of their games, due to gamepass. I haven't bought an EA game in 6 years and this event, once again reminded me not to.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It was scary for me, but it was much worse for the neighbours that had their houses near the fires.
My house still had a few streets to cut the fire. And the firefighters did an amazing work controlling the fires and saving properties.
Those guys are absolute heroes. And the best we could do at the time, was to give them something to eat and drink.

So despite the proximity, the risk for my house was comparatively low.
That's good to hear. I'm glad that they were able to get it under control and that you came through ok.

makaveli60

Unfortunately, you can’t convince the simple-minded zealots, until they experience something like this they will just call you paranoid/conspiracy theorist or something similar bullshit they were programmed to mantra

Guilty_AI

Not to be a dick but you got a fire 200 meters from your house and were worried about not being able to play EA games? Man, always online sucks but you gotta rethink your priorities.
One thing i learned from catastrophes like this is that 5-10% of it is being in actual danger and the rest is just a lot of waiting or dealing with the aftermath.

So yeah, some distractions like games help a lot.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If the game has single player option then there is no fucking reason you can’t play it offline…..Monster Hunter and Souls games which both have online features lets you play them offline, why can’t other devs do the same?

Top Bottom