• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD keeps chipping away at Intel as latest figures show increased market share in PCs, laptops and servers

tusharngf

Overall, Intel is up, but only because AMD's console chip sales are cratering.

JeQZqdebzJRwR8eTNnrc4D-650-80.jpg.webp

The bad news for Intel just keeps on rollin'. This time it's the latest figures from Mercury Research showing AMD pinching year-on-year market share from Intel in both desktop and laptop PCs. Oh, and servers, too.

Mercury's numbers do show an overall uptick for Intel in terms of total x86 chip market share. However, that's a consequence of cratering sales of AMD's SoCs, specifically the chips in gaming consoles. Mercury doesn't break down the numbers, but Microsoft's Xbox console sales have largely imploded of late. So, that will likely be where much of the pain is coming from.

The loss of console sales for AMD is largely inevitable given the cyclical nature of game consoles and the fact that we're nearer the end of the current generation of consoles than the beginning.

More specifically, AMD's desktop x86 CPU share for the second quarter of 2024 grew to 23%, up from 19.4% for the same quarter last year. Intel and AMD are the only players in the x86 CPU market, so AMD's gain is Intel's loss, with the latter slipping from 80.6% to 77%.

In laptops, AMD is up to 20.3% for the latest quarter, up from 16.5% for the same quarter last year. Finally, in servers, AMD improved from 18.6% to 24.1%, again from Q2 2023 to Q2 2024.

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/hardware/pr...ased-market-share-in-pcs-laptops-and-servers/

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Intel has a big marketshare in laptops because they produce the chips.
AMD reveals amazing laptop cpus but you can't find any laptop with them until the next generation is announced
that combined with intel giving cpus to OEM for a very low price is what's keeping them behind, same for the servers

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Well, almost dead Xbox Series is not helping with console APUs I guess.
They make the PS5 chip as well, unless you think people are switching from Xbox to switch or leaving consoles altogether.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am surprised by how high Intel's share is in desktop market. I mean I understand Laptops and servers, and knew that Intel was still majority in Desktop space too, but thought it was more like 40-60. Surprised to see more than 3/4th of the market still with Intel.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I am surprised by how high Intel's share is in desktop market. I mean I understand Laptops and servers, and knew that Intel was still majority in Desktop space too, but thought it was more like 40-60 or higher (in AMD's favor). Surprised to see more than 3/4th of the market still with Intel.

In the DYI market, AMD dominates with a significant margin.
It's in the prebuilt market that Intel has is stronghold.

Top Bottom