• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Dad! From Creator of Family Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattergen

The URL "www.simpsonian.net/americandad.wmv" is not around for you to see. Well, its around all right, your just such a poor loser, I did not want to show it to you.

Now we are stuck here, You want a webpage, and well I want to be a mean server and not show it to you..

Now since we got your IP address we can put you in our "Hall of Losers" page

We can sit here all night, you are not going to get that page.

Nope.... I'm going to get a beer.... Try your request later, maybe ill be so drunk, I can give you the 404'ed page.

:(

Ecrofirt

Oh lord, that was utter shit.

I chuckled twice. When the alien broke the chair unexpectedly, and with the 'dust'.

Pattergen

Just a bit Torrent question... I dl'd this awhile ago, and haven't used it very much at all. But it says downloaded... and then uploaded. what exactly is it uploading?

fart

Savant
good political humor and healthy self parody

Just a bit Torrent question... I dl'd this awhile ago, and haven't used it very much at all. But it says downloaded... and then uploaded. what exactly is it uploading?
...have you ever seen goatse?

Is this a rough cut? Seems like Fox is sending out screeners awfully early for a show that doesn't even premiere until Jan. '05. Unless it was procured under more clandestine circumstances, of course...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's no Family Guy but it's not awful either.

It's way too early to do much judging though.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I started out pretty slow, but it got good. Has potential.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I found it pretty funny, but it sounded mighty pro-democrat....on Fox you say? I guess they figure they'll be in the opposition come january, so they need more shows taking the piss out of the government again. And why keep the family set up exactly the same as family guy?

SFA_AOK

It's the first 6 minutes, as far as we know, it'll poke fun at the left as much as it pokes fun at the right. The first episode of Family Guy isn't that brilliant. As they have one series under their belt, it should take less time for them to find their footing with a new series but it's a little early to be saying it sucks.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Wow, that was pretty bad.

Family Guy didn't click for me until almost the second season, so I'll give this a chance...but, damn that was bad.

Falch

I liked it, even though it's the same concept as Family guy. Fish with german brain + overweight alien = :). We'll see how it turns out.

*resumes watching Futurama*

That was allright, I mean at first I found Family Guy to be okay at best. They just need to get the feel of the characters right. That said, I think that with Family Guy back, this may not make it past the first season.

SKluck

Banned
It was entertaining, but it was just exactly like Family Guy with different characters. Family Guy is good, but the same thing with different characters isn't nearly as funny.

Belfast

As I said in my (neglected :p :p) thread, I generally liked it. Mind you people, The Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy were all pretty "eh" in the beginning, especially compared to later episodes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wow, you guys sure are ripping it apart for only being 5 minutes long. I think this could be as good as Family Guy, I mean that alien is going to be awesome. He is the next Brian!!

It made me smile, but not fall off my chair with laughter like some Family Guy episodes did. But that Pecan Sandies joke shows potential. :)

pops619

Definitely not as good as Family Guy from what this shows, but it has promise. Basically it seems like a little more serious version of Family Guy with commentary on society rather than just being stupid fun.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
That bit with the toast was funny, "that's ok, this one will be mine."

Such a mom/martyr thing to say.

J2 Cool

Family Guy technically is not a good show. As far as story, pacing, and animation goes anyway. The characters also at first I didnt like at all. The thing, the comedic timing for some jokes is brilliant. I was even turned off to the show at first because how fast it moves. I just didnt like it until I forced myself to watch it more and seen one of the really good episodes. Then the characters grew on me, I actually looked forward to seeing another episode I havent seen, etc.

This show meanwhile seems to be the same way. Im kinda worried though with it being more of a political show also aside from family guy like humor, this is a show that will need story and pacing. Im sure there will be funny moments but not in the same 22 minutes packed with hilarious jokes mold of Family Guy. Seth McFarlane's gonna need to learn really how to make this show work or it will just be a weak version of Family Guy

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
The short that McFarlane did for Cartoon Network which Family Guy seemed to be based on (dumb guy and smart dog dynamic, same two voices also) didn't seem to go over well either, never was more than a one-shot cartoon cartoon - that What a Cartoon! show. But I thought that one was great as well. Wish I could find a download of that.

goodcow

I rather enjoyed it myself actually, even if you can just hear Peter's voice during it, and Peter doing some of the exact same things the father does.

Anyway, the neighbor potential here is great, if FOX is willing to throw itself into the storm...

Imagine an Arab family living next door to the Smiths, and the father always keeping a close eye on them, and being even more conservative and patrotic than usual around them. Perhaps a Jewish family next to the Arab family, and then the other major ethnicities nearby, to keep up the "All in the Family" vibe they apparently originally wanted. Sure, it would offend, but as long as they did it equally, and with some class, there's a potential comedic goldmine here.

aparisi2274

Ok so I got a question, I watched the clip and I thought it was funny, but like I looked on imdb.com to see who was doing the voices, and I saw that Laura Prepon (Donna from That 70's show) was doing the daughter, Haley. Now, I dont know if this clip was before she signed on, but that voice sounds nothing like her. I mean not even if she was trying to do a voice other than hers. I just cant see the voice in this clip belonging to laura Prepon.

aparisi2274 said:
Ok so I got a question, I watched the clip and I thought it was funny, but like I looked on imdb.com to see who was doing the voices, and I saw that Laura Prepon (Donna from That 70's show) was doing the daughter, Haley. Now, I dont know if this clip was before she signed on, but that voice sounds nothing like her. I mean not even if she was trying to do a voice other than hers. I just cant see the voice in this clip belonging to laura Prepon.

It was probably a voice of the writers so they could save money on a pitch to networks.

FightyF

Banned
I saw it as a simple intro to different characters, with a pinch of humour thrown in. It has potential.

But if that was an excerpt from an episode, I'd consider it blah.

Newduck

I still really have no idea how they got this show approved after family guy was cancelled. In description, and even in execution it seems pretty much the same. Almost identical family layout, very similar weird characters (Brian/Stewie/Claus/Roger). I don't really mind it being similiar, i just dont understand why seth created a show so close to family guy, and why the hell fox approved it after cancelling it.

The clip wasnt bad though, few good moments, i'm iffy on the voices, Stewie and Brian had good voices from the start of the season i thought, i dont like rogers, or claus' much. The kids are crap, and the son seems terribly unfunny, and the others just boring, but then again that mimmicks family guy too. Dunno why seth has such trouble making all the cast decent, Meg and Chris were generally stupid characters, looks like the same things happening here.

Socreges

Banned
For the first little while I was seriously numbed by how unfunny it was. Thank God the dad is freaking hilarious. The fish is great, if only for the German accent, and the alien had his moments.

The daughter just seems like a poor foil, though. :\

I hope FOX picks it up. Lots of potential.

LakeEarth

Who else thinks that this is gonna happen.... the show premieres, big fanfare, the episode starts... 5 minutes into it there's a knock on the door. Open the door and it's Peter Griffin. "Hey, this is my timeslot!" ... really one big hoax to bring back the show?

Or better yet, it'd be Stewie pointing a gun and saying "Oh dear... looks like your being cancelled!" (boom)

Fatalah

Anyone else realize the way the writer *changed* the show to fit the wants of those that kicked out Family Guy cause of decency issues?

This show involves a conservative Family, probably republican, with a military-father, the cheerleader-type braindead wife....Its ultimately making ribs at families that take patriotism way too seriously in America.

This show interests me. By the way, here's a thing from FOX.com. January 2005

http://www.fox.com/schedule/2004/dad.htm

Guzim

LakeEarth said:
Who else thinks that this is gonna happen.... the show premieres, big fanfare, the episode starts... 5 minutes into it there's a knock on the door. Open the door and it's Peter Griffin. "Hey, this is my timeslot!" ... really one big hoax to bring back the show?

Or better yet, it'd be Stewie pointing a gun and saying "Oh dear... looks like your being cancelled!" (boom)
That would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom