• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans vote Sydney world's best - again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Gump

Banned
America's millionaires have voted Sydney the best city in the world for the third year running.

And while Sydney scoops up the prestigious gong at an exclusive ceremony in New York next week, Melbourne has been left languishing one again.

With Sydney at the top of the pile, beating Rome and Florence into second or third place, Melbourne was sitting in 37th position, a long way behind Fez in Morocco and only just ahead of Krakow in Poland.

It is the seventh time in the past nine years that the affluent readers of America's biggest-selling travel magazine, Travel + Leisure, have rated Sydney the world's top city.

Nathan Lump, the magazine's features editor, said: "Clearly this is a terrific honour for the city."

The American Express-owned magazine has almost a million subscribers with an average of $US 120,000 and a median wealth of almost $US 1 million.

US tourists spent $1 billion in Australia last year.

Mr Lump said: "These are people who take, on average, four foreign trips a year and they are comparing Sydney with places like Paris, London, New York and Rome.

"I think it says a lot that Sydney has held up as the world's best city for seven out of the nine years we have been conducting this survey."

Sydney lost out in 2000 and 2001, to San Francisco and Florence.

Mr Lump said Sydney's consistent place at the top of the world rankings meant the city was evolving to meet the needs of the travel market.

The magazine's other survey - to find the best hotel, island, airline, cruise line and resort - constantly provided new winners, while the best city remained the same.

"The survey looks at six categories for each city: sites and action, culture and arts, restaurants and food, people, shopping and value," Me Lump said.

"Sydney is very strong on its people but it does not have one weak spot."
sydney-harbour.jpg

- The Sun-Herald, Sydney.

:ROCK

*Proud to be a Sydney-sider*

xabre

Banned
I live here and I don't see what's so good about it. Alright so we got a nice harbour, and a big bridge, decent looking opera house and a pretty garden next to it so I guess it's a scenery contest.

And while Sydney scoops up the prestigious gong at an exclusive ceremony in New York next week, Melbourne has been left languishing one again.

Yeah, fuck Melbourne.

Mr Gump

Banned
xabre said:
I live here and I don't see what's so good about it. Alright so we got a nice harbour, and a big bridge, decent looking opera house and a pretty garden next to it so I guess it's a scenery contest.

Yeah, fuck Melbourne.
Compared to other cities it is strong in all main areas.

xabre said:

Yeah, fuck Melbourne.

Pssh whatever....

Here's that survey where we were rated top city with Vancouver and Vienna.

link

I mean when did we start taking American millionaire's seriously?
Just look at Paris Hilton.

Kuroyume, we have some of the world's most dangerous snakes if you want us to get rid of New York's rat problem....or we can send Dame Edna to scare them away for you.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
wealthy americans are clearly morons. melbourne is the best city in Australia. sucks that I'm in Brisbane though... :|

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Bailey's Dad said:
Perth and Adeliade and about any other city are better than Melbourne.
... Perth and Adelaide better than Melbourne? I hope that's your idea of a bad joke.

fbcamp

Banned
Go NYC and I'm not just talking about Manhattan either. All 4 boroughs make it the best city in the world (Statin Island doesn't count).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
What's worse is Brisbane is turning into the new Sydney. And by growing rates are, people predicting Brisbane & Gold Coast will merge into one huge metropolis within the next two decades, if a bit more.

Egads.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Port Douglas, and the Surfers Paradise (Gold Coast) are my favorite places to vacation in Australia. I'd also prefer vacationing in Brisbaine instead of Sydney. Sydney seemed really dull, Bondi Beach is meant to be one of the best beaches in the world, but when you cross the street it's an ugly neighborhood. I don't think there's much to do in Melbourne if you're just going on vacation. I enjoyed living there as a child, but that's mainly because my family was loaded.

If we're talking about city's to live in, there really is only one choice. New York is by far the greatest city on earth. Everyday can be like a vacation, you always find something new to do. In Melbourne there are 3 choices of what to do everyday (Crowne, Chadstone, Jam Factory), it gets boring, in New York you can visit different places everyday.

Vacation: Surfers Paradise, Port Douglas, Las Vegas, Florida, New York, Brisbaine, Sydney, Melbourne

Live: New York............. Anywhere else is just not enough

Whoever mentioned Adelaide and Perth is absolutely nuts. I only listed the US and Australia because that's what I know.

Zaptruder

Banned
Scrow said:
... Perth and Adelaide better than Melbourne? I hope that's your idea of a bad joke.

Nah, Melbourne has shit shit traffic.

hanging turns? trams that move as slow as shit? cold drizzly weather? Hilly terrain?

It's not too bad a place, but it's got a considerable number of annoying things about it. It's definetly more well built and metropolitan then perth or adelaide, but there's much more that goes into the consideration of a good city.

Plus melbourners tend to be arrogant pricks :p

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Florence? Really? My parents went there and didn't like it much. There was loads of street theft round. One person actually had the cheek to walk slowly along the line my parents were in and started to take things from the bag of the woman in front of my mum. And then he turned to her, winked, and put a finger over his lips!

So my mum yelled at him and he legged it and everyone clapped, or so I'm told.

ShyGuy

Zaptruder said:
Nah, Melbourne has shit shit traffic.
Are you farking serious?

Without a shadow of a bloody doubt, Sydney has the worst traffic in Australia.

Melbourne is like driving on a freeway compared to Sydney's bullshit traffic.

Zaptruder said:
hanging turns? trams that move as slow as shit? cold drizzly weather? Hilly terrain?
There's a reason why you don't drive on the streets where trams are!

"Hanging" turns? You mean hook turns correct? The best invention ever, hook turns are so damn useful it's not funny!!!

Cold drizzly weather? WTF? At least it's not humid city like Sydney!!!

Hilly terrain? What part of Melbourne were you in??????

Zaptruder said:
Plus melbourners tend to be arrogant pricks :p
Arrogant? I'd say sophisticated. Melbourne is the WORLD's most liveable city, forget the comparisons to Vancouver.

I've lived in both cities, and there is NO QUESTION that Melbourne is the better place to live.

--

In short, GO MELBOURNE!!!!!!!!!!!! Sports Capital of the World. Home of the World's best beach. Home of the Largest Shopping Centre in the Southern Hemisphere. Home of the World's Greatest Sports Stadium. It's even home to the largest non-Imax cinema screen in the souther hemisphere.

Who cares about Sydney when there's Melbourne!!!

Fusebox

Banned
Ugh, there's nothing more pathetic than non-Sydney-siders coming into these threads and trying to boost attention towards their own mediocre cities.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Fusebox said:
Ugh, there's nothing more pathetic than non-Sydney-siders coming into these threads and trying to boost attention towards their own mediocre cities.
i hope you recognise how easily your own words can be used against you.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Bailey's Dad said:
Perth and Adeliade and about any other city are better than Melbourne.

wooo! Perth :p

i dont quite agree.. but this place has its good points :)

THE WINNER OF THE EASIEST CITY TO GET AROUND AWARD GOES TO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom