• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An uninformed gamer back into PC gaming

Gamedude

Last week I heard from a friend who was looking in my PC (had some problems with my HD) that my PC wouldn't last forever... so I'm planning to buy a PC somewhere around Christmas. (AMD Athlon 3500+ 1024 DDR RAM Geforce 6800 GT)

I own an AMD Athlon 900 mhz Geforce 2 mx 128 mb RAM right now so it's a long time ago that I could play games solid.
I started with games like Project IGI, Soldier of Fortune and Hitman, especially single play games only thus.
After that I met Half Life... I tried Counter-Strike and I was addicted right away.

After that it went downhill with my PC, I couldn't play games that good anymore, the last game I played was probably UT 2K3

After I had my PC experience I just went back to gaming consoles and bought myself the Xbox, Gamecube and PlayStation 2. Because of that I'm not that up to date anymore if it comes to PC games, so I was wondering if you could guys could give the best games out yet for the PC (or the near future)

If there is one thing that interests me it's certainly Battlefield. I never had the opportunity to play a FPS game with more than 20 people.. I think it's a whole kind of an experience if I see to those movies.

I'd like to know from you guys which games I definitely need to check out when I have my PC.. I'm mostly just going to play my games online.. so that will probably influence my taste of games.

A) How is Call of Duty: UO online?

B) How is Joint Operations online? I heard there is going to come an extension on the
original, called Joint Operations: Escalation.. maybe I can pick that one instead of the original? If you guys recommend it of course.

C) Will STALKER have a (decent) multiplay function?

D) I just saw that 15 minutes footage of Brothers in Arms.. It looks pretty cool with a high sense of detail, will this game have a decent multiplay function because I think they putted a lot of time in their engine/SP storyline

E) I think I'm not going to try any Battlefield games until Battlefield 2 comes out.. I can wait for a better version, Battlefield 2 that is.. when does it come out? March 2005?

F) are there other games I need to check out if I have my PC.. or games that will come in the near future?

bogg

"F) are there other games I need to check out if I have my PC.. or games that will come in the near future?"
mmm, HALF LIFE 2?
Welcome back to pc gaming mate. Oh make sure to pick up UT2K4, pc GOTY (untill HL2 comes out i guess...)

Gamedude

bogg said:
"F) are there other games I need to check out if I have my PC.. or games that will come in the near future?"
mmm, HALF LIFE 2?
Welcome back to pc gaming mate. Oh make sure to pick up UT2K4, pc GOTY (untill HL2 comes out i guess...)
Darmn, I forgot to mention Half life 2, definitly Half life 2 and his mods. ^^

@ Lionheart: yeah that's always a handy thing about pc gaming, just download a demo before actual buying the game.

Can someone say me anything about Stalker's and Brothers in Arm's Multiplay? Or didn't both developers say that much about it yet?

rastex

Banned
Tribes: Vengeance VERY different from the usual military stuff if you're looking to try new things.

Gamedude

After I stopped playing PC games I bought the Xbox.. On 14 March 2003 I also bought me Xbox Live.. since then I play online with Xbox live until now... if there is one thing that rocks about Xbox Live it's the option to talk with other people without any kind of lag.

Does the recent PC games support talking too? Or are there just a few?

epmode

bogg said:
mmm, HALF LIFE 2?
this man speaks the truth. the learning curve for ut2004 is rough, but what an incredible game. be sure to download some VCTF maps.

SyNapSe

Gamedude said:
After I stopped playing PC games I bought the Xbox.. On 14 March 2003 I also bought me Xbox Live.. since then I play online with Xbox live until now... if there is one thing that rocks about Xbox Live it's the option to talk with other people without any kind of lag.

Does the recent PC games support talking too? Or are there just a few?

Most don't support talk by default. You normally need to use a 3rd party app for that. Ventrillo, TS, some others. I'm assuming all HL2 mods will support talking built in.

Gamedude

I would really like to have new types of experiences if it comes to FPS.. I was thinking on a game that has extended/stretched out areas.. because of that you can play the came with a big amount of people and there are vehicles included for faster/better transporting.
I'm more a FPS game who likes the system "one shot --> one kill" system, that makes the game a lot more intensive.
I'd like to just have a nice open view through my sniper's scope and watch the enviroment closely for possible enemy's without too much camping of course. It's no problem for me if I need to walk 5 minutes without coming into any action.

I never played such a FPS because in the period I played PC games it probably wasn't technical possible.

Is there a game that comes in mind that has (many) resemblances I just wrote?

Gorey

Disregard if you are solely into FPS games....

......but Sid Meier's Pirates! remake comes out later this month, the 22nd I believe. Looking to be a pretty swanky update of a classic game.

Top Bottom