• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst predicts strong September sales

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/14/news_6110601.html

Anyone have access to the report? I'll probably be able to get it tomorrow, but it seems PJ are getting into the prognostication biz as well.

Piper Jaffray senior analyst Tony Gikas expects last month's software sales to be up 15 to 20 percent thanks to Madden, Fable, and Pokémon.

NPD sales figures for the month of September aren't likely to be released until Monday, October 18, but market research group Piper Jaffray released a report today that disclosed the company's predictions for the monthly charts, as well as revealed some telling sales advice for investors this holiday season.

In the report, senior research analyst Anthony "Tony" Gikas predicts that total software sales for the month of September will be up 15 to 20 percent year-over-year. The jump is largely attributed to top titles like Madden 2005, ESPN NFL 2K5, Fable, Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, and Star Wars: Battlefront, "to name a few."

And indeed, "the best is yet to come," read the report. "The holiday [lineup] looks like the strongest ever." But it apparently won't be a happy holiday season all around, because Piper Jaffray tells investors to brace for a "bumpy ride" this holiday season as enormous sales of titles like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Halo 2, and Metal Gear Solid 3 will create an "unpredictable sales environment" for any company without a major title release.

Gikas' advice to investors, then? Put money into video game retailers, like EB Games and GameStop. They will benefit strongly from the holiday lineup, price cuts, new hardware launches, and, of course, the ever-increasing slice of the pie that's taken up by preowned software (from which game publishers do not benefit).

By Chris Kohler -- GameSpot
POSTED: 10/14/04 02:32 PM PST

Phew, good thing we have analysts to tell us these things. And here I was thinking Sept, Oct, and Nov were going to be a complete wash.

Joe

the analysts arent here to tell YOU or US anything. they're for people not in the know. just to fill you in the world doesnt revolve around internet forums.

Joe said:
the analysts arent here to tell YOU or US anything. they're for people not in the know. just to fill you in the world doesnt revolve around internet forums.
Why, thank you Captain Obvious! Guess I forgot my [/joke] at the end of my post. My bad. Sheesh.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Joe said:

Whatever I know for a fact that the earth no longer spins on the approx north/south pole axis, it spins around the axis that starts at the point of the host server for this very forum!

Top Bottom