• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Been big pimp'n in Facebook home all afternoon!

PS: Did I ever mention I switched back to a sense based ROM recently since official dev on CM for my device has been in limbo.

buhdeh

Been big pimp'n in Facebook home all afternoon!

PS: Did I ever mention I switched back to a sense based ROM recently since official dev on CM for my device has been in limbo.

lol my friend's been complaining about how bad CM has been since 10.1 on his S3. The M3 release doesn't even boot and there are just so many bugs.

I'm so glad I never have to deal with flashing roms anymore.

buhdeh

And an HTC One review from the site we all love:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...nt-smartphone-this-year-may-also-be-the-best/

If you made it through this review not thinking that I love this phone, read it again. I love this phone. I really, really do. I am probably going to go buy one (pun absolutely intended). It's easily the best Android phone made to date. Not just because it's aluminum, not just because Sense 5 is a great take on the Android OS, and not just because it has a fairly outstanding camera. It's because of all those things: no phone has compelled me in the "total package" way that the One has. Sure, there are flaws. But every phone has flaws, and the HTC One's pale in comparison to many of the other smartphones I review.

buhdeh

Awesome to see so many good Android choices now.

It sucked when S2/GNex/S3 were the ONLY viable options. Now you've got great options from everyone. I think anyone would be happy with the ZL/One/S4
/X Phone

Groof

Which was the last Android phone that got such consistent praise across the board? It's pretty surprising to see the One being so beloved by almost everyone.

panda21

Hate me GAF but I semi like FB home. I have my gripes though of course.

i think its ok, for now. but there also some updates that i don't mind having in my regular facebook feed, but don't want on my phone lockscreen.

they need to give you the option to use lists or something to choose who to see updates from

It's a really good phone, expect to look like your avatar afterwards
hope I don't cave, I'm a fickle whore and it comes out on friday, if I'm impressed tomorrow I'm pretty sure I'll fold like beeeeyitch and end up with it. It's funny that I'm in this seemingly endless dilemma when I plan to use whatever phone I get only until the nex5 comes out hahaa.

Vanillalite

Ok I am at a loss for the logic of FB messenger and SMS. Like if I already have a conversation going what happens if I want to text them instead?

What if someone has data off? Will it default back to SMS or what? Why does it seem like I have two separate conversations going with the same person ie one FB thread and one SMS thread?

PaulLFC

Well the impressions of Facebook Home have certainly not improved my enthusiasm to bother installing it when Facebook decide the UK exists.

Added to this are the constant problems with Facebook Messenger's desktop program - it's a chat program that's more basic than the 13 year old MSN Messenger, and they can't even get that to work properly - why should I believe they can make something more complicated, that would be integral to the running of my phone should I use it, reliable?

3phemeral

Well, my firstsecond TF101 died today, for no reason other than the battery completely depleted. I was on the fence with getting a second unit because of all the issues I had with the first one, which suffered a fall and had a shattered but still-working screen. I had already bought the dock and found one on craigslist for cheap. Then that one died for unknown reasons, so I took the guts of the old one and paired it with the dead unit that had a working screen. Functioned fine enough where I could finally start using it normally for reading/web browsing/etc, and now both it and the dock are dead. Won't charge a bit. Seems like the tablet sucked up the last 3% of juice it reserves completely.

I'm going to let this charge overnight (maybe it'll trickle charge somehow), but if it's dead, no more Asus anything for me.
LLShC.gif

I do need a new tablet, though, especially for my ebooks.

Vanillalite

Chat Heads is amazing as a SMS replacement. I can't imagine going without it at this point.

Except it doesn't actually integrate with FB messages. Idk Wtf FB was thinking by not threading the two together.

Anyways I've been using home for like 9 hours now. Thinking of doing a quick mini review.

Vanillalite

Sorry AOSP fans, but Sense ROMs just run faster on my phone. It's not even just a benchmark thing, but you can just see and feel how much more fluid everything is.

Viper is probably the better ROM of the two major Sense Mod ROMs, but I just think I prefer CleanROM.

I'll probably try out CM again once they figure out WTF is going on with the DMCA take down shit, and then they switch the One X to the 3.4 kernel which basically makes the device a Nexus 4.

Vanillalite

The problem I have with chat shit is everyone's on some different shit. Some people are using SMS, someone is hanging out on GTalk, 2 n00bs are messaging each other in FB, while the "cool" nerds are using whatsapp, and the "cool" regular people are all using iMessage.

Makes it a pain in my @$$.

Sorry AOSP fans, but Sense ROMs just run faster on my phone. It's not even just a benchmark thing, but you can just see and feel how much more fluid everything is.

Viper is probably the better ROM of the two major Sense Mod ROMs, but I just think I prefer CleanROM.

I'll probably try out CM again once they figure out WTF is going on with the DMCA take down shit, and then they switch the One X to the 3.4 kernel which basically makes the device a Nexus 4.
so ends the saga. Now ditch the one x and repeat with another phone.

Hieberrr

I'm still on stock on my Nexus 4. Is CM worth it? Every time I read the XDA threads, there's always some sort of a problem with bugs. I haven't heard anything about battery life, so I'm hoping someone could shine some light on that.

Vanillalite

so ends the saga. Now ditch the one x and repeat with another phone.

While I wish I had 2 gigs of RAM you won't see me ditch my phone anytime soon. For normal tasks the simple S4 is more than fine for now on 720p displays. I personally see no reason to upgrade and my friends with similar phones like the GS3 agree.

I'm riding this out till 2014 phone wise. Now as for a Nexus tablet... yeah I'm definitely going to be in the market for the 2013 Nexus 7 or 10 refresh! :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

...Get out.

Vanillalite

I'm still on stock on my Nexus 4. Is CM worth it? Every time I read the XDA threads, there's always some sort of a problem with bugs. I haven't heard anything about battery life, so I'm hoping someone could shine some light on that.

The couple of advantages you'd gain can be done with 3rd party apps or side loaded apks of CM programs without having to deal with any headaches. Stick with stock.

Hieberrr

Thanks guys, I guess I'll stick to stock. The one thing I really wanted was SMS Popup. I tried the one in the Play Store, but I wasn't a fan of it.

Groof

The problem I have with chat shit is everyone's on some different shit. Some people are using SMS, someone is hanging out on GTalk, 2 n00bs are messaging each other in FB, while the "cool" nerds are using whatsapp, and the "cool" regular people are all using iMessage.

Makes it a pain in my @$$.

Fuck man I knooooowwww. I change between regular SMS, FB chat, Whatsapp, Kakao Talk, Line and GTalk all the fucking time because everyone I know uses a different app and some people don't even have a smartphone (fucking peasants.) Driving me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom