• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Why? Photo backup with Dropbox is better.

When google+ first offer photo backup, I could direct link it and post on the forum. Now I can't do it any more. Dropbox is better. At least I have them on my laptop.

i dont want 20 different things to worry about. If i want to share albums or photos its much easier through Google... and there isn't a cell phone that has a sensor yet that deserves to be higher then 2048px. That being said, I hope you'll be able to adjust it (and lose your free space) in the future. I pay for space on Google, i dont care about it being free

i use Google+ AND Dropbox to sync photos

and i also manually upload to Box

backup clouds baby!

Oh, so the mail app IS there. Hmm. Does it share all the same features as the gmail app? I guess no one uses an @me here on android? May decide to switch back to gmail as my main. I really use gmail and @me as my two main addresses.

gmail app is only for Google accounts. it has some gmail specific features.

email app supports any POP/IMAP/Exchange account and is also pretty feature filled.

Because it will cost around €520 in Sweden (4600kr) which bums me out, was hoping it would cost €299. But since the G4 will cost little less than double of what the Xperia P will cost :/
Ah that's shit.

I do like using google services but to be honest Dropbox is just a better product right now.

I have decided to move to android from apple because apple maps has let me down to many times.
I am excited by google now and think google is moving into a better direction than apple. The games on th App Store don't excite me anymore so I am well aware that android isn't as good in that department.
But I'm undecided which phone to buy, am I better with the galaxy 3 or nexus? Also why is the galaxy 3 only getting jellybean now when the galaxy 4 is probably not that far away.
Nexus 4

the way Android works is Google works on the code for their Nexus devices and then release the source when they release an updated version. then 3rd parties use that to make their updates, and then they have their own development, release and QA systems, etc, so they'll always be a few months behind.

MNC

I just had a revelation... I was looking for a phone for an upgrade of my HTC Desire, and there aren't any interesting brands except for Samsung and HTC. And I dislike all the HTC Ones. What are my options? What are the latest HTC phones? My personal buying site only lists the Desire C/X/S/Whatever and the Ones.

I'd be so on top the Nexus 4 if it had SD support and bigger internal memory :(

tino

Banned
i dont want 20 different things to worry about. If i want to share albums or photos its much easier through Google... and there isn't a cell phone that has a sensor yet that deserves to be higher then 2048px. That being said, I hope you'll be able to adjust it (and lose your free space) in the future. I pay for space on Google, i dont care about it being free

There is nothing to worry about. Let me explain why the Dropbox way is better.

If I am browsing on a forum and I want to post a picture to make a point, I can take a picture with my phone; write the post on my laptop. By the time I am done with the post, I am ready to upload the picture from my laptop's dropbox folder.

G+ doesn't offer that convenience. Again, whenever G+ allow me to direct link private photo again, I will start using G+. I don't give a shit about phone picture quality either.

Plus, I have foldersync. It makes Dropbox/Box a better seamless cloud storage solution than G drive. Google should have never merged Google doc and Google drive.

jokkir

I flashed over the 4.2 Clock to my Nexus S. Not sure if I like that or the previous Clock since the other one looked a lot better imo. And it had the extra features that was added to CM10

thespot84

If I am browsing on a forum and I want to post a picture to make a point, I can take a picture with my phone; write the post on my laptop. By the time I am done with the post, I am ready to upload the picture from my laptop's dropbox folder.

G+ doesn't offer that convenience. Again, whenever G+ allow me to direct link private photo again, I will start using G+. I don't give a shit about phone picture quality either.

Plus, I have foldersync. It makes Dropbox/Box a better seamless cloud storage solution than G drive. Google should have never merged Google doc and Google drive.

I just went to my google+ profile, clicked on pictures, scrolled down my instant upload pics, find the one i wanted, left-clicked so that the lightbox/full pic is shown, then right-clicked on the image and chose "copy link address". And here is the pic using that address:

IMG_20121021_114855.jpg

Cudder

Google Now is now pretty useful for me, guess you have to mess with the settings and fill in some information in Maps for it to be able to do some of the cards. Now whenever I leave my house, I get a card telling me how long it will take to drive back home. Pretty cool.

what's funny is you can link to the photo if you log into Picasa and get the link there.

tino

Banned
what's funny is you can link to the photo if you log into Picasa and get the link there.

If you have only the phone and not the PC, can you get that link?

edit: I reinstalled google+ and can't seem to find a way to get the image link.

I think I remember why I decided not to use g+. If I upload the picture from flickr app, I get the option to cross post on facebook, twitter and my blog. All my friends are on facebook. Even though I don't "do" facebook, I still want to post my shit on it from time to time.

I just went to my google+ profile, clicked on pictures, scrolled down my instant upload pics, find the one i wanted, left-clicked so that the lightbox/full pic is shown, then right-clicked on the image and chose "copy link address". And here is the pic using that address:

IMG_20121021_114855.jpg

hrm, yep, ok, that works...

IMG_20120331_224237.jpg

<3 Plan B

so... my grandma is upset because she can't find her new android phone. she asked my cousin if she had it and my cousin said no... so i track the location and guess what... the phone is at her high school... on the field... where she is at a game... WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!

get your fresh photosphere's here!!
http://www.androidcentral.com/check-out-these-awesome-photo-sphere

it's like 24 different ones..a couple from a GS3...

did i miss something, did we get a flashable zip for AOSP roms?

<3 Plan B

so... my grandma is upset because she can't find her new android phone. she asked my cousin if she had it and my cousin said no... so i track the location and guess what... the phone is at her high school... on the field... where she is at a game... WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!

i need to know if she got in trouble lol

we definitely need a photosphere thread if we can get enough people to take some great shots

i guess there actually is a flashable zip at least for the one x. apparently the 4.2 camera is better, as pics taken on the one x with the new camera flashed are showing better quality, also in order to get photosphere to work you have to edit the build.prop:

To fix photosphere edit build.prop:
ro.product.model=Galaxy Nexus
ro.product.brand=Google

interesting, although i need carrier billing so hopefully they will be able to fold this into AOKP without having to edit that. Cant wait for build 7 (not coming until after 4.2 is merged into AOSP), hopefully they have all the 4.2 stuff working in there, along with hardware vsync, the last component needed for project butter to be working at 100%...

jokkir

So who's going to make the Photosphere thread when Nexus 4 comes out? :p I'd do it now but I haven't really taken a good picture with Photosphere yet

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Alright Android-GAF in the US... Got a friend who's looking to get a smartphone. He's thinking of getting a Nexus 4 and then going the cheap plan route.

Who should he look towards either prepaid or one of the big 4 in regards to a cheap plan that would work with the Nexus 4? I know Verizon is out cause the 4 is GSM only. What are my options to tell him?

rc213

Alright Android-GAF in the US... Got a friend who's looking to get a smartphone. He's thinking of getting a Nexus 4 and then going the cheap plan route.

Who should he look towards either prepaid or one of the big 4 in regards to a cheap plan that would work with the Nexus 4? I know Verizon is out cause the 4 is GSM only. What are my options to tell him?

Check what the coverage is like for the GSM carriers in his area?

I'm in Los Angeles and I am on the T-Mobile $30 Pre-paid 100minutes/Unlimited Txt/Data (5GB@4G Speeds) + $7 for Handset protection. I get what I consider great speeds in my area 10-14Mbps down and 700kbps-1Mbps down. I also just setup GrooveIP+GoogleVoice for Unlimited minutes over WiFi/3G/4G which sounds great so far.

giga

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll continue the discussion in the Nexus 4 thread since I don't want to clog this place up. Check there for more questions!

snacknuts

we all knew her
How do the pictures look when you upload them, just as a plain .jpg?

It depends. Here's one I took yesterday at the Colts/Dolphins game (although it's only about a 180 degree view). G+ on the browser pretty much loads it right away as a Photosphere. On the mobile app you will see the thumbnail as one wonky-looking JPG, but you can download it to your device and see it as a Photosphere if you have the 4.2 gallery installed.

Cudder

It depends. Here's one I took yesterday at the Colts/Dolphins game (although it's only about a 180 degree view). G+ on the browser pretty much loads it right away as a Photosphere. On the mobile app you will see the thumbnail as one wonky-looking JPG, but you can download it to your device and see it as a Photosphere if you have the 4.2 gallery installed.

I mean just as a regular image, on something that doesn't have the ability to view photosphere. For example, uploading a 360 degree image on this forum.

A litttle late there. Android's birthday (such as it is) is generally regarded to be October 22nd, 2008 - the day the T-Mobile G1 launched in North America. The T-Mobile G1 was of course the first Android device ever released commercially.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Does astromadus or cm9 not have any allowances for flash? I tried side loading it, but that did nothing.

Gattsu25

Banned

IMG_20121021_114855.jpg

20121024_161939.jpg

20121024_150001.jpg

Nyrad

Anyone got recommendations for a good and simple money/budget app? I just want a fast and easy input option for new expenses and some monthly budget statistics.

I already tried MoneyTab, Expense Notes, Money Lover and a few others. At the moment i use MoneyTab but although it has a nice Layout the Interface is kinda bad and left me wanting more especialy in the statistics area. The only big plus with it is that i don't need 5-6 button presses for a new expense input.

So GAF help me save some money with some recommendations ;)

thespot84

Anyone got recommendations for a good and simple money/budget app? I just want a fast and easy input option for new expenses and some monthly budget statistics.

I already tried MoneyTab, Expense Notes, Money Lover and a few others. At the moment i use MoneyTab but although it has a nice Layout the Interface is kinda bad and left me wanting more especialy in the statistics area. The only big plus with it is that i don't need 5-6 button presses for a new expense input.

So GAF help me save some money with some recommendations ;)

Mint?

In preperation for switching over to android, I set up a google music account.

Does it really upload all my songs to the server? I thought it uploaded just the list of songs and replaced them with the versions on the google music store? Only songs that aren't on the google music store would then be physically uploaded. This is going to take a year. My upload speed is 500kb/s. I have 45gb of music. 9000 songs.

:/

I thought the highlight of iTunes Match was you replacing some of those crappy bit rate songs with 320kbps versions? And it just uploads the list of songs you have and matches to the iTunes Store version.

So google music doesn't work like that?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
In preperation for switching over to android, I set up a google music account.

Does it really upload all my songs to the server? I thought it uploaded just the list of songs and replaced them with the versions on the google music store? Only songs that aren't on the google music store will then be physically uploaded. This is going to take a year. My upload speed is 500kb/s

:/

I thought the highlight of iTunes Match was you replacing some of those crappy bit rate songs with 320kbps versions?

So google music doesn't work like that?

Not yet, but it's coming really soon.

Divvy

Okay so wait. I'm not even getting a nexus till the 13th so I should just cancel this upload process now then? Are you saying the upload process will be a matter of minutes instead of days when that match service goes live?

Uhh well they haven't shown it off yet, so I have no idea how well it works. It's not coming to the US on the 13th either, just "soon after". I'm in Canada too, and google music has always worked fine for me, but the music store isn't available so I'm not sure how that will affect match.

Thanks divvy. I'll wait and see what they announce on the 13th. Not in any rush. Uploading would have taken me a year with these shitty Canadian upload speeds.

Divvy

Thanks divvy. I'll wait and see what they announce on the 13th. Not in any rush. Uploading would have taken me a year with these shitty Canadian upload speeds.

Haha yeah, It took me a week when it came out. Just left my computer on overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom