• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
man i need a phone yesterday.

so apart from the z3 the g3 is the best phone on the market?

Everyone is going to give you a different answer here because its all personal preference.

G3 for camera/battery
Note 3 size/SPen/Camera/battery
Moto X 2014 for Software, build quality
M8 for Build quality

I choose software first and Android + Motorola software makes the 2014 Moto X the best phone out. Period. IMO :)

Also I like that its an american designed/manufactured phone but most people dont care about that apparently.

I see a lot of hate for the new Moto X.

What's the reasoning? The camera? The battery?

I get the complaints about screwing with the 'ideal' form factor of the original X. But for me as long as it:

1) Lasts me the full day only needing to charge when I go to bed so (7:30-12 usually)
2) Takes considerably better pictures than my Nexus 4

I think I'll be very satisfied. Not to mention the price is great.

If the Z3 Compact was out and on AT&T this wouldn't even be an issue, but my N4's battery is basically shot and I need a new phone soon.

Piano

Banned
What's the best wired headset (e.g. earbuds + mic) for a reasonable price?

I already have a good set for listening to music but want a set with a mic so I don't have to hold a phone to my face for longer conversations. Don't want wireless bluetooth because (a) more expensive and (b) one more thing I have to charge.

Amazon doesn't seem to have a clear consensus.

I see a lot of hate for the new Moto X.

What's the reasoning? The camera? The battery?

I get the complaints about screwing with the 'ideal' form factor of the original X. But for me as long as it:

1) Lasts me the full day only needing to charge when I go to bed so (7:30-12 usually)
2) Takes considerably better pictures than my Nexus 4

I think I'll be very satisfied. Not to mention the price is great.

If the Z3 Compact was out and on AT&T this wouldn't even be an issue, but my N4's battery is basically shot and I need a new phone soon.

The 2014 Moto X satisfies both your conditions easily. Based on reviews its battery life is comparable to Moto X 2013, iPhone 5s and the camera is better than the 2013 Moto X which was leaps and bounds better than a Nexus 4 camera. (I have owned Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and 2013 Moto X)

The reason why people on this forum love to hate on it because they now expect phone batteries to last 1.5 to 2 days and they expect every camera to be iPhone level.
Oh and they also require sd cards which 99 percent of the US population does not give a shit about except for the small tech population like the people on this forum.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The 2014 Moto X satisfies both your conditions easily. Based on reviews its battery life is comparable to Moto X 2013, iPhone 5s and the camera is better than the 2013 Moto X which was leaps and bounds better than a Nexus 4 camera. (I have owned Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and 2013 Moto X)

The reason why people on this forum love to hate on it because they now expect phones to last 1.5 - 2 days and they expect every camera to be iphone level.
Oh and they also require sd cards which 99 percent of the US population does not give a shit about except for the small tech population like the people on this forum.

No the reason people on this forum love to hate on it is because a few proselytize over the phone.

The reason why people on this forum love to hate on it because they now expect phones to last 1.5 - 2 days and they expect every camera to be iphone level. Oh and they also require sd cards which 95 percent of the poulation does not give a shit about.

Thanks for justifying my thoughts. :p

I donno.I see both arguments on a lot of this and the reality is there's no one size fits all phone out there.

Luckily we have plenty of options out there.

No the reason people on this forum love to hate on it is because a few proselytize over the phone.

And others are not trying to do that with the Z3?

What a great crowd. People ask for $500-650 purchase advice and they never get recommended a Moto because they hate the fans on this forum.

What a nice crowd

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
And those same people are not trying to do that with the Z3?

What a great crowd. People ask for $500-650 purchase advice and they never recommend a Moto because they hate the fans on this forum.

What a nice crowd

Nah, it is a natural reflex to people over hyping something.

And the battery sucks.

Nah, it is a natural reflex to people over hyping something.

And the battery sucks.

No, the battery is average and gets you through a full day if its comparable to the 2013 Moto like the reviews say. A sucky battery would die at 5-6 PM.

This kind of crap is the problem

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
No, the battery is average and gets you through a full day if its comparable to the 2013 Moto like the reviews say. A sucky battery would die at 5-6 PM.

This kind of crap is the problem

It might get you through a day, but it won't get everybody through every day.

My Oneplus One gets 5-6 hours screen time over 14-15 hours and still isn't enough for travel days.

Battery life is top two of important features for me, and for many others. Moto X doesn't stack up to other options, thus it isn't an option for me.

NotBacon

Moto X 2014 is an amazing phone.

If you can settle for a very good camera instead of a great one, and a battery that only lasts a day, Moto X should be your top pick.

If you want that extra bit of camera quality and/or a battery that lasts more than a day, you should get a Z3.

Those are the two best phones out right now.
Ok fine Note 4 too if you want a phablet

No the reason a few proselytize over the phone is because people on this forum love to hate it.

It might get you through a day, but it won't get everybody through every day.

My Oneplus One gets 5-6 hours screen time over 14-15 hours and still isn't enough for travel days.

Battery life is top two of important features for me, and for many others. Moto X doesn't stack up to other options, thus it isn't an option for me.

I do agree that people that travel consistently and are never on WiFi are a whole different situation. Than a z3 or newer Samsung is a must.

Oh man, you just blew my mind.

Yeah that's a load of crap. I do it because I think its a great American company and phone so I want them to do well.

What I don't do is hate on others phones consistently like others do with the Moto. OK I lied, I will hate on touchwiz.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah that's a load of crap. I do it because I think its a great American company and phone so I want them to do well.

What I don't do is hate on others phones consistently like others do with the Moto. OK I lied, I will hate on touchwiz.

Liar. You just called a Samsung phone a must. Choke on those words fiend!

Avixph

To whoever is worried about the Galaxy Note 4 bending like the iPhone 6 Plus because has a metal band around it here is a bend test that might eliminate those worries.

Got a Z3 Compact a couple days ago. Bit disappointed with the battery yesterday (was just trying to kill it by leaving it doing nothing or just playing video silently and it only made about 4.5 hours + 1 hour of 3G Google Play Music streaming which REALLY killed it (knocked like 20% battery) but I'm going on a big trip today and I'll be interested to see how it performs. Will be sure to post some battery info here.

That said it's done far better than my N4 would ever have done. And the hardware is amazing in the hand.

manfestival

I have been playing with my moto g all day and I cannot say how impressed I am with the phone. The only hiccup I noticed was when I was running like 12 things including a gps and then went to the home screen. While its not the fastest phone that I have used. It certainly is a smooth and impressive experience. Super pleased so far. Call quality is nice but its a tad low. Also speakers are similar in loudness to my original beats audio htc one m7.

I think I will be buying a turquoise backing for the phone over the royal blue.

Cipherr

Damn the internet calling in Hangouts works great. Its miles better than grooveIP ever was. GIP would occasionally give you distortion or lag on a call, but Hangouts is smooth as a babies bottom as long as you have good bandwidth.

thenexus6

When using instagram is there any way to set open from gallery only when uploading photos? I don't want to see google drive, photo app, file manager etc. I only upload from gallery app.

solarus

I have been playing with my moto g all day and I cannot say how impressed I am with the phone. The only hiccup I noticed was when I was running like 12 things including a gps and then went to the home screen. While its not the fastest phone that I have used. It certainly is a smooth and impressive experience. Super pleased so far. Call quality is nice but its a tad low. Also speakers are similar in loudness to my original beats audio htc one m7.

I think I will be buying a turquoise backing for the phone over the royal blue.
Yup, its amazing. I love my moto g 4g, especially for how little I paid for it. Makes it a lot harder for me to convince myself that high end £300-£550 phones are worth it, although that's the only way to get a good camera.

I ended up getting a great deal on a S5 LTE-Ax3 whatever. Was actually cheaper than a G3 for me. I know a lot of the community doesn't like Galaxy phones but with Nova launcher it interfaces exactly how I am comfortable with anyway. The specs on this phone are crazy. 3gb ram and 2k screen it's kind of like a smaller note 4 for half the price.

BaYEnvZ.jpg
Internet speed is good but I was thinking it would be better. I think I might not be able to get the prime lte-a connections where I live. Anyway with unlimited data on 4g it's pretty damn fun. My old phone was a 3 year old 3g pantech so I'm pretty happy.

PaulLFC

Has anyone who has a phone with metal sides and/or back used a hard case with it?

I had this Nillkin case for my Nexus 4 which served me very well:

They make an almost identical case for the Xperia Z3 which I'm thinking of buying - I'm just wondering whether the hard plastic could scratch or scuff the metal sides when the phone is put into the case or taken out of it?

longdi

Banned
Why are sony cameras in sony phones never as good as sony cameras in apple phones?

Sony!?

Dont forget sony has an awesome camera department.

Their phone cameras are lacking is probably down to the same reason why they chose a grossly inaccurate cool color temp for Z3 screen. ie Stupid engineers listening to stupid/wrong focus group.

Cheebo

Banned
Why are sony cameras in sony phones never as good as sony cameras in apple phones?

Sony!?

They make a lot more money off selling apple camera's than they do their own mobile phones. Of course they'd put their priority where the money is.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Then that coverage map doesn't seem right.
Here's LTE coverage from their site:

Here's what opensignal.com says for ATT LTE coverage:

And I'm pretty sure every one I've met who has Cricket says their coverage is terrible around here. But that's just around here (a major metro area), it could be different elsewhere...

You have to remember OLD CRICK has the OLD MAP. If you don't have a new device you are using the old Sprint Towers. That's why it's confusing for people when people say Cricket cause AT&T bought them out and merged them with AIO fairly recently. You have to have a new device and a new sim. Most people don't realize that the buyout even happened. Just look at this thread and the dude that posted about his Mom on the old CDMA bands.

Also I've been to Portland (Oregon not Maine) and had no issues with my One X, and the friend I was visiting has a Nexus prepaid on AT&T bands. Neither of us had issues.

Vanillalite

More HTC Eye Info:

- It's a 13MP duo camera setup (so no more ultrapixels?)
- Launch Android 4.4.4/Sense 6
- Unsure about screen (could be 5 or 5.2 inch)

It seems like if you want an M8, this seems like the version to get

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_m8_eye_with_13mp_duo_camera_set_to_land_in_october-news-9770.php

It's got the same problem I have with the Sony phones.

If both are just being announced for NA in early October that probably means they will launch what late October? Maybe Early Nov?

Do you really want to pay a premium for a 801 handset this late in the 801 life cycle?

Sure it's the phone people should get over the current M8, but like I said it's just a bad spot IMO to be buying older 801 hardware that isn't on the cheaper low. You can get the current M8 for under $500 or $50 on contract.

805 devices are starting to hit outside of the far east so it's hard to recommend an 801 device. Plus we are gettiing a lot of low end and mid range 64 bit devices coming as well. I'm not even sure if the 615 chip could even really be called mid range too which is in the HTC Desire 820 and seems to be really fast.

Don't forget the 800 is essentially an overlocked 800 with some battery improvments too.

Volotaire

It's got the same problem I have with the Sony phones.

If both are just being announced for NA in early October that probably means they will launch what late October? Maybe Early Nov?

Do you really want to pay a premium for a 801 handset this late in the 801 life cycle?

Sure it's the phone people should get over the current M8, but like I said it's just a bad spot IMO to be buying older 801 hardware that isn't on the cheaper low. You can get the current M8 for under $500 or $50 on contract.

805 devices are starting to hit outside of the far east so it's hard to recommend an 801 device. Plus we are gettiing a lot of low end and mid range 64 bit devices coming as well. I'm not even sure if the 615 chip could even really be called mid range too which is in the HTC Desire 820 and seems to be really fast.

Don't forget the 800 is essentially an overlocked 800 with some battery improvments too.

Of course, but people who are really set on the M8 but are disappointed at the camera may mean this is the phone for them. I would too suggest the current M8 since it's cheaper, but some people really prioritise the camera aspect.

Vanillalite

Of course, but people who are really set on the M8 but are disappointed at the camera may mean this is the phone for them. I would too suggest the current M8 since it's cheaper, but some people really prioritise the camera aspect.

I wouldn't really suggest either though as again you're gonna be paying a premium for an old chipset.

It's like recommending people buy the 5S this fall. The only reason to do it is because the hardware is older and persumably cheaper. If you're gonna spend real cash just get an 805 device instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom