• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same with the apps and games on the Play store. I get stuttering in some games on top of the line phone, One Plus One due to their poor programming job. The hardware could obviously make the game run better, but they have poor optimization.

Actually got rid of my Nexus 7 (2013) for an iPad mini 2 cause of this. It's fucking amazing that Evernote and even Google Sheets lags like shit whereas an iPhone 5 opens the same documents with zero lag.

I'm not even gonna go into how sad it is that PDFs run like utter shit on every single Android device I've ever used.

Fatalah

Pandora's backwards interface just kills me.

It doesn't even have playback controls in the notification bar!

It's unbelievable how complacent Pandora is about their old ass UI. There's one way to quit the app, and it's annoying.

Abide by Material Design!

Pandora's backwards interface just kills me.

It doesn't even have playback controls in the notification bar!

It's unbelievable how complacent Pandora is about their old ass UI. There's one way to quit the app, and it's annoying.

Abide by Material Design!

Ugh I've been waiting for them to eventually add playback on notification bar but nope. I gave up on it. Literally every music app has it but them.

Wait I'm not sure what you found disappointing about the Nexus 6. Care to elaborate Pyro?
1) huge fucking phone. If anyone follows this thread they should know I'm super against that. I thought the 5.5s were getting ridiculous but 6 inches? LOL. Incredibly niche.

2) The price. Now I'm not saying the hardware and specs don't match the price but it's still a very big disappointment coming off of nexus/one plus prices. It's 750 canadian. Plus taxes it's 850. Pls.

It's just a shame because there is only 1 stock android phone every year and they decided to cater it to the minority rather than the majority. Now there might have been a reason, maybe motorola forced their hand, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing.

If samsungs trajectory and everyone else's current position didn't show google that premium prices are NOT android's future then I don't know what will. Bring on the chinese revolution.

Hasney

It's absolutely pathetic and disgusting that these manufacturers put out phones with stupid fucking specs and then they still have lag. The definition of not giving a fuck about user experience in favour of their own branding. That goes for sony/samsung/anyone.

This came out of nowhere. This isn't a reaction to that silly droidlife z3c review, is it?

1) huge fucking phone. If anyone follows this thread they should know I'm super against that. I thought the 5.5s were getting ridiculous but 6 inches? LOL. Incredibly niche.

2) The price. Now I'm not saying the hardware and specs don't match the price but it's still a very big disappointment coming off of nexus/one plus prices. It's 750 canadian. Plus taxes it's 850. Pls.

It's just a shame because there is only 1 stock android phone every year and they decided to cater it to the minority rather than the majority. Now there might have been a reason, maybe motorola forced their hand, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing.

If samsungs trajectory and everyone else's current position didn't show google that premium prices are NOT android's future then I don't know what will. Bring on the chinese revolution.

I don't disagree with you but sacrifices would have needed to be made. 5 in 1080p with only 2 GB of ram would have been better IMO...

A 5in 1080p, 2 GB ram, and 801 could have probably came in at around 500.

You want to hit around 400 and you probably need more plastics/cheaper construction.

I don't miss the cheap plastic, cheap speakers and GPS one bit from the 350 dollar nexus 5 I sold 3 months after launch.

I don't disagree with you but sacrifices would have needed to be made. 5 in 1080p with only 2 GB of ram would have been better IMO...

A 5in 1080p, 2 GB ram, and 801 could have probably came in at around 500.

You want to hit around 400 and you probably need more plastics/cheaper construction.

I don't miss the cheap plastic, cheap speakers and GPS one bit from the 350 dollar nexus 5 I sold 3 months after launch.
I don't think the nexus 5 is cheap plastic though. And one plus has pretty high specs. I know that's the low margine game that some companies don't want to play but it's the future of android.

Husker86

Google really has to make it so the launcher doesn't get kicked out of memory. Reloading launcher after only being in one app since the last time it reloaded is craziness...especially with 2GB of RAM.

Sch1sm

I don't think the nexus 5 is cheap plastic though. And one plus has pretty high specs. I know that's the low margine game that some companies don't want to play but it's the future of android.

But he's definitely right about the cheap speakers, at least. That's always been my major complaint with the N5: volume. Ridiculous.

But he's definitely right about the cheap speakers, at least. That's always been my major complaint with the N5: volume. Ridiculous.

Yeah I wanted to love the nexus 5 but couldnt deal with some of its cheap hardware.

The GPS took forever to lock, the camera was very slow, battery was terrible with ART off, and the speakers were so quiet I couldn't hear it which was also a N4 problem (also cheap).

I paid a little more for a 2013 Moto X and all of these complaints went away. Yes even camera and battery. It was well worth the extra 100 bucks.

I know people were really happy with the Nexus 5 price but sometimes you just get what you pay for.

reKon

Banned
It's absolutely pathetic and disgusting that these manufacturers put out phones with stupid fucking specs and then they still have lag. The definition of not giving a fuck about user experience in favour of their own branding. That goes for sony/samsung/anyone.

Well I don't experience any lag on my phone like I said earlier. In the Droid life review comments you'll find some people saying the samething...

You know, I actually think that something is wrong with their phone because the shit they say in their review is almost exactly opposite of my experience. There are no other reviews that report any lag like they do. For example, from their review: "If an email comes in and I tap the “Delete” button in the notification shade, there is a solid second some times before that notification goes away."

Ummm no, this has never happened to me, ever...

Sony's skin seems to be pretty light. It's the bloatware that blows, but it hasn't slowed down anything.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Still no battery percent in notification bar!

Not a permanent percentage display, no, but a quick 2-finger swipe down and it's right there. I personally don't get why people feel the need to see that number at all times. The visual indicator gives you a good enough idea at a quick glance, and when you want to see the exact number that's easy enough to accomplish.

Also, stock Android actually has permanent percentage display implemented, there's just no interface for enabling it for whatever reason. But you don't need root to do it, a simple app is enough: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.kroegerama.android4batpercent

Husker86

Not a permanent percentage display, no, but a quick 2-finger swipe down and it's right there. I personally don't get why people feel the need to see that number at all times. The visual indicator gives you a good enough idea at a quick glance, and when you want to see the exact number that's easy enough to accomplish.

Also, stock Android actually has permanent percentage display implemented, there's just no interface for enabling it for whatever reason. But you don't need root to do it, a simple app is enough: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.kroegerama.android4batpercent

I can't really explain it either, it's just something I like seeing.

Necessity or not, the iPhone shouldn't have a customization option that Android does not! ;)

Numerical percentage is the superior way to show battery life in the status bar and it is ridiculous that Google has not listened to it's fans that have asked for the option. At this point I simply assume they are trolling by not including it.

Toki767

Numerical percentage is the superior way to show battery life in the status bar and it is ridiculous that Google has not listened to it's fans that have asked for the option. At this point I simply assume they are trolling by not including it.

Yeah. Luckily some OEMs do include that in their skins.

Groof

Like roadhazard said it's definitely in there, just the Google has for whatever reason decided not to include the necessary toggle for it.

Most likely to troll users, as you say.

terrier

It's the same with the apps and games on the Play store. I get stuttering in some games on top of the line phone, One Plus One due to their poor programming job. The hardware could obviously make the game run better, but they have poor optimization.

not trying to justify this, but i guess is not the same only having to take care of 2-3 devices each year that also are very similar specs wise, than having to run in hundreds of devices from different manufacturers, different socs and specs. But yeah, apps/games should run fine in high end devices.

Btw, hadn't seen an iphone 6 yet in the wild, and this is not the thread, but it looked like an M7/m8 clone. Plus it did not feel as classy as iphone 4 or 5, i guess despite being built of metal, being bigger hurts its looks imo and doesn't feel as premium (compared to other devices) as it used to. Galaxy Alpha for example looks equal or even better for me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
After much consideration, I think I'm gonna go ahead with the second gen Moto G, the lack of 4G isn't a dealbreaker since H+ speeds are quite nice as it is, when I need to do heavy lifting I'll just use my home wifi or something.
I like the larger screen too, and the DPI is nice enough. Can't wait to get back to some of my favourite android games :), have a nice collection from when I had the Xperia Arc.

Been reading up on Lollipop: so it's essentially gonna make the OS and apps smoother overall? Seems like a nice upgrade :)

catmincer

Lag on the Z3c, they be crazy ?
I had it for 3 days, playing games, music, videos, installing shit while browsing etc...
Never had any lag :/

Yeah i have a Z2. There's no lag at all in the menus. The only time I have had lag was loading a gif heavy Page in Firefox. Even my pc would struggle with that.

ajpw

There's an app in the play store called KitKat battery percent that enables it on lollipop

-PXG-

Who else got in?

lMKGvMP.jpg

I'm already liking Inbox a lot. It's very organized and helps you separate junk from important stuff very easily. I managed to delete ALL of my bullshit, unread emails that I've had. Every single one since Gmail launched, in less than a minute. Feels great to start fresh.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Who else got in?

I'm already liking Inbox a lot. It's very organized and helps you separate junk from important stuff very easily. I managed to delete ALL of my bullshit, unread emails that I've had. Every single one since Gmail launched, in less than a minute. Feels great to start fresh.

Not yet. :-( Not that I think it's gonna be terribly useful for me, as I'm pretty good at keeping my inbox clean manually, but I wanna try it out for sure. Also, material design! The current Gmail app feels so outdated in comparison. Although I guess the redesigned one isn't far off now.

-PXG-

Not yet. :-( Not that I think it's gonna be terribly useful for me, as I'm pretty good at keeping my inbox clean manually, but I wanna try it out for sure. Also, material design! The current Gmail app feels so outdated in comparison. Although I guess the redesigned one isn't far off now.

What I realized, everything you label as "done" in Inbox appears to be deleted in Gmail. But in Inbox you can still search for it in case you ever need to go back and reference something.

And yeah material design is great. It's very fast and snappy too. There are some graphical bugs in the settings menus though. It's a beta after all.

Toki767

Who else got in?

I got in. Is the goal of the app to basically archive all your mail? That's basically what pressing the check button does.

Hasney

What I realized, everything you label as "done" in Inbox appears to be deleted in Gmail. But in Inbox you can still search for it in case you ever need to go back and reference something.

And yeah material design is great. It's very fast and snappy too. There are some graphical bugs in the settings menus though. It's a beta after all.

Does it delete in Gmail, or just go to all mail?

-PXG-

I got in. Is the goal of the app to basically archive all your mail? That's basically what pressing the check button does.

I suppose. I guess we'll have to wait and see how bundling actually functions. I just like that it just feels more organized and that it's easy to set it up so I only see what's important and it passively sifts through bullshit for me. Plus dat material design. The status bar doesn't change color. I imagine in later builds it will, as it does in other gapps.

Does it delete in Gmail, or just go to all mail?

I didn't actually check thoroughly before uninstalling Gmail. All I know for a fact is that my my primary inbox in Gmail was completely empty after I had done'd everything in Inbox.

kharma45

Who else got in?

I did. Hoped you could bring in other email accounts as I'm not the biggest Gmail user.

Nicktendo86

Who else got in?

I'm in!

Toki767

I just noticed in the latest Play Store version, the menu icon animates into a back arrow. Kinda neat. They also updated the notification icon for apps being updated.

-PXG-

I did. Hoped you could bring in other email accounts as I'm not the biggest Gmail user.

The new Gmail adds support for other email accounts and introduces a new version for tablets....Inbox is released...

Googy plz

Edit

Does the beta only work on Lollipop or is Google only sending invites to those running it? Just a random/ stupid thought at 4 am...

Toki767

The new Gmail adds support for other email accounts and introduces a new version for tablets....Inbox is released...

Googy plz

Edit

Does the beta only work on Lollipop or is Google only sending invites to those running it? Just a random/ stupid thought at 4 am...

Working on my G3 running Kit Kat. Invites were sent to those who requested one by e-mail to inbox@gmail.com

Groof

Inbox is great for people like me who barely use email for things other than receipts, booking details and newsletters. This is everything I wanted from gmail!

Fjolle

Googy plz

Edit

Yea. I thought that it would support exchange and outlook :s

It supports both my moto g and ios.

Zeppu

THANK YOU BASED GOOGY!

THANK YOU. ALL BOW THE GREAT AND MAGNIFICENT OVERLORD!!

Finally Google Now has be enabled for our location. Thank the stars.

I just noticed in the latest Play Store version, the menu icon animates into a back arrow. Kinda neat. They also updated the notification icon for apps being updated.

I wish they'd update the damn icon, too. I don't want to wait for 5.0 to get that.

e: Of course, just when I posted this, I checked my home screen again and the icon was updated over night.

iPhone has lag too lol

I was about to say "tell that my iPad 4". I wish I could flash iOS 6 back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom